4.0 out of 5 stars We're all going to Die..... (of laughter)
This is the first of the three Armageddon books, and the first dose of Rankin that I ever had, and what a way to start! Elvis time-travelling, Rex trying to avoid capture, and the now immortal Barry the Time Sprout.
Published on 1 July 2002 by malpacinoooo

3.0 out of 5 stars long hard read
one of those books where you keep reading as you think/hope its going to get better then you realize there is only 2 chapters left so you may as well finish it
Published 4 months ago by Mr F Pine

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars We're all going to Die..... (of laughter), 1 July 2002
The book is set in 2050 when the "Big Three" religions/television stations rule the world, the only way to earn money is to watch TV all day. Idealic as it sounds there is a down side to this world, the whole planet is radioactive after the "Nuclear Holocaust Event".
As an added spin on the whole surreal story it is revealed that in space we are not alone and further more they have been watching us, not with camaras but with plants that beam everything we do to their home world. As another twist in this tale "Earthers" is the highest rated show in the universe. But with viewers starting to stray the executives have one final publicity stunt up there sleeves, the total distruction of Earth!
This is a throughly funny book and should tickle most people in some strange places!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 16 April 2012
This review is from: Armageddon: The Musical (Armageddon Trilogy Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is the first Robert Rankin book i have read and it definitely wont be my last. I literally couldn't put it down. I had tears in my eyes with laughter at multiple points and i can't wait to get on to the next book. RANKIN FOR MAYOR!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 16 April 2012
When I first read this book, I was on a dreary train on a dreary commute into London to work in a dreary job. Ten minutes into the journey I burst out laughing, much to the disdain of my fellow sardines. I laughed so much that upon my arrival at dreary Waterloo I was met by a number of large gentlemen in long white coats.

Thank you Robert Rankin for not being dreary.

Oh, yeh. The book ... Elvis Presley, the Dalai Lama and a time travelling brussel sprout called Barry. What's not to like?

5.0 out of 5 stars top notch, 15 April 2012
hilarious as are all his books, after you have read this trilogy may i recommend hollow chocolate bunnies as it was my first Mr R Rankin book and it opened me up to far fetched fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice alternative to the Brentford Quintology, refreshing.., 21 Nov 1999
khisanth "khisanth75" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
If you've read the Brentford tomes, this is a nice change. I was a bit doubtful at first when I started reading this, but I was gradually drawn in and it really is rather good. Mr Rankin's in jokes and running gags make you feel at home with all of his books really, it's tradition an old charter or something. I can't wait to read the next book,

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't understand the other poor reviews, 26 Aug 2004
By A Customer
I've read almost all Pratchett and Adams etc and maybe 10 or so Rankin novels and I just don't understand how fans of TP and the late DA don't find this side splittingly funny. It's rare I laugh out loud reading no matter how good the book is but RR seems to manage it regularly. Admittedly there is a lot of jumping around plots and characters but this is not unusual for the genre. My advice is buy this and then the two sequels although I reckon this is slightly better.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Introduction, 13 Aug 2004
A very very strange world, but a slightly worrying one, that is to say. Somewhere in the back of my mind I imagined it could be true, or at least, that parts of it had the potential to become reality!
A terrible thing happened to the earth creating, as they very often do, the opportunity for some indivduals to grasp massive power over the downtrodden individuals of the world. Our hero is one of them, he gets a break and gets sent on a string of adventures allowing us to learn more and more about this world.
he even gets to canoodle with the daughter of the almighty! Not many of us can claim that on our CV's!
I was riveted to this read all the way though and finished it, put it down, had a drink and started the second one.
If you like Rankin and you have an imagination then you should enjoy this story. If you cant cope with the world being turned upside down and being forced to believe Rankins weirdness, I would give it a miss!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 16 April 2012
Mr. Rankin is a fine author and a true gentleman. If you haven't read his books then you should.
The more you read the better they get and they start out fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars V Funny - Well worth a try for anyone..., 29 Oct 2009
D. L. Price "cider_dave" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I first read this book many, many years ago (early 90's) and it was my first intro to Rankin (I liked the cover...shame as I hate the last two incarnations, but that's just me), since then I have realised he has done better, but this one got me hooked.

Yes, the plot is random (in fairness there is a rough strucutre, just lots of randomness hung onto it) and it is silly, but it's very funny and the randomness is tied into the story (i.e. if there is a talking dog it does have some impact on what happens, it's not just 'Oh look, there's a talking dog!')

Comparisons with Adams, Pratchett et all are fair enough, but people have to realise they are not the same Authors...they are different, as such the hunmour and style will be different and just becasue you like one author you won't necessarily like the other. So don't complain if you read this and don't think it is as good as Adams. I personally must be the only sci-fi fan that loves Rankin and Pratchett, but thinks Hitchikers is dull and too random (there they do seem to have, Oh look a giant rabbit etc). I don't this book is as good as some of Rankin's other work, but I still think it's a great book.

Which brings me to my next point. In my opinion one of the beauties (and curses) of Rankin is that he does vary his work so much, this is a completely different style to the Brentford triology (which I prefered) and his recent work it totally different again. Personally I think that's great, cos you keep getting new stuff, but it might mean that some people are disapointed as they were expecting what they got before. In contrast Pratchett tends to deliver very good books, but in similar settings/styles so people get comforabel with what they know and are very rarely disapointed.

Anyway that is far too much waffle, this is a daft book, but it will make you laugh and I really think you should defintly try it, you might well love it! (do notice all the negative reviews still talk about the end etc and I bet most have tried the sequal...)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the coolest books around chief!, 7 July 2000
By A Customer
Unlike some other reviewers this was actually my intro to the sprout loving genius we all know and love. This book (and it's successors) is a great read full of irreverent slapstick and the much loved Robert Rankin Patented Running Gag. One the most unusual sci-fi books you will read but one of the best. If you're not aware of Sir Bobs work then you must make it you goal to become so! It's a tradition or an old charter or something.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›