on 30 December 2013
I had bought the leapreader pen for my Grandson (they wanted this one because of the writing programme) - The headline for the product was misleading because it said for Junior Tag / Leapreader. I took this to mean that it was suitable for the Tag Junior and Leapreader - not so Junior should also have been appended to the word Leapreader as well - or perhaps changed to "Only suitable for the JUNIOR VERSIONS of Tag and Leapreader"

I had to send it back for a refund which was a shame because Jake and the Neverland Pirates is one of my grandsons all time favorites. He is almost 4 so it made no sense to get the Junior version, especially as that doesn't have the writing capability. I think VTech should make the junior books compatible with the older product as well
These LeapReader Junior books are a brilliant introduction to reading for your little one and will help encourage them to get excited about reading too. We have both the LeapFrog LeapReader Junior Scout Book Pal and LeapFrog LeapReader Junior Violet Book Pal for my son and daughter. I bought the Scout book pal and several of the books for my 2 year old son as he has been struggling with his speech and I thought that this reading system would help him along with more words. I'm pleased to say that I do think they have actually helped him although I do still need to encourage him to use the book pal as he loves sitting there just looking at the books without it too. I was so impressed with the Scout book pal that I bought the Violet book pal for my daughter for when she starts to read too.

Jake and the Never Land Pirates LeapReader Junior Book:-
The Jake book is like the others in the range in that it is a thick paged board book style so really good for little hands and will also (and has in our house already!) take some bashing about too. This book is one of the longer books in the range as in it has 16 pages as opposed to some of the others which have around 12 pages. The book teaches numbers but rather than just having the book counting up to 5 or 10 there is a story to go alongside it with plenty of interactive points for your little one. So whilst the majority of the book is a story about Jake, Izzy, Cubby and Hook with lots of little fun interactive points for your little one (such as music and bongos being played when you put the book pal over Cubby playing and Jake and Izzy dancing) there are also pages with counting and numbers on such as the steps that count from 1 to 5 and also advise which is the highest and shortest step along with first, second, third, fourth and fifth step. The main narration of the story is by an American accented gentleman but when you put the book pal on the characters Jake, Izzy, Cubby and Hook they do additional speech in their own voices from the show. This is one of the best books in the junior range for an actual substantial story and does have some number recognition and for that reason I really like it but my son absolutely loves it for Jake and the characters from the television show as it's one of his favourite shows.

The Book Pals:-
The book pals are identical apart from the colours and one being called Violet and the other Scout. I love that you can personalise Violet and Scout so that when you turn them on and off they say your childs name as this makes it feel like they are actually talking to your little one and immediately you can see it encourages them to use Violet and Scout. The books are very easy to load and unload once you download the Leapfrog Connect to your computer and I have done this several times now (because of the small memory on both of the book pals). Both the Scout and Violet book pals come with a USB lead and to connect them to your computer you remove the battery cover which is where both the batteries are stored and the USB connection is. You don't need a screwdriver to open them either as you can open them with a 1p coin just as well. Scout and Violet are very easy to hold for little hands and along with their main power button they also have a volume button too. Scout and Violet are the same size and both measure approx 10cm high by 6cm wide and 6cm deep at their tummy which is their widest point and they have been very cleverly designed to fit into your little ones hand. Your little one doesn't need to swipe them across any writing for them to read it and they just need to tap or touch the writing and both will read the whole paragraph or sentence. The LeapReader Junior book pals and books are a really good introduction to reading for your little one and I would definitely recommend them if you are thinking about them. I have managed to get most of the range at less than the normal full price by keeping an eye out for price drops on Amazon and with it being quite a big range it certainly is worth keeping tabs and taking advantage of price drops when they happen.
on 28 December 2013
Purchased for my daughter to use with a leap reader pen, unfortunately it is not compatible !
Not very clear on the description
Lovely book if she could use it !
Very disappointed child and mummy on Christmas day
Used for TAG JUNIOR ONLY
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 January 2014
I purchased this along with the tag junior scout handset for my son. Note - it doesn't work with the pen. It only works for the tag junior handset (ie the one shaped like scout / violet or similar - some are plain and I think there's one shaped like the alien from toy story)the board book is good quality and laid out like the tv shows. The character voices and sounds add to the book and my son enjoys hovering around and finding all of the interactive parts of the pages. Great book, particularly great for a Jake fan as it's the same as the tv shows. Takes up about 1 MB of space on the handset. I'd recommend to anyone with a tag junior who loves Jake and his crew. In this story jake, izzy & cubby are sharing some bongo drums with a monkey - but as per usual Captain Hook tries to steal it!
on 31 October 2012
the delivery one this roduct was next day, the bookis hard back and very well made my daughter loves it as the voices are from the show the price was better than in the shos as well
on 21 February 2013
veryeducational helped my little grandaughter with her readingthe pictures also gave her hours of entertainment with plenty to talk about
on 1 October 2013
Ordered on Sunday, arrived on Tuesday.
Paid £7.41 to use with the standard Tag reader, and works a treat.

Daughter loves the series, so this is getting her using the Tag reader, hopefully she will like 'Learn to write and draw with Mr Pencil' just as much when it arrives.
on 28 January 2014
This was a huge success, I have both leapfrog tag and leapfrog tag junior. My eldest desperately wanted this book for her leapfrog tag!
It's my youngest's favourite book for her a leapfrog rag junior! (We had fights over it!) maybe they need to do an older version too!
on 6 January 2014
Managed to buy the wrong product. The leapReader pen does not work on these books. Personally find it confusing, i thought the book would work for the leapReader pens as well as the tag. By the time Christmas came i have presumed I cannot return or swap it.
on 9 January 2015
Very disappointed, would not work with the LeapReader that my Great Niece has. I had followed request to purchase books inline with school list, this was only one available and therefore I believe should have worked with the LeapReader she has.