Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£21.00

on 8 November 2012
This is a lucid and well written book about the history of our cuisine. C Dickson-Wright ranks alongside Dorothy Hartley as a must read!
on 30 September 2014
The book arrived during what for me, was a busy week. I have only managed to read the first chapter, the writing style is very good, reads more like a novel. I feel some regret I have only just discovered her work.

The book that came was the hard back version, a thick, very impressive looking book. I am sure that it is the sort of book you can pick up and put down, looking forward to it being 'winter reading'. There are recipes to be experimented with too.
on 8 January 2015
What can I say about the last book that Clarissa wrote. She had a masterly understanding of both food and history, with a lot of very funny asides which makes this book such a joy to read. I have learned lots of history without realising it, and some very funny facts about certain foods. What a wonderful reading companion she is. A great loss to su all.
on 16 November 2014
Clarissa never did disappoint, and will be sadly missed. This massive tome is a very good and interesting read for anyone even vaguely interested in the history of what we eat, and covers the ordinary people, not just the well funded kitchens . I've been nose-in-book ever since it arrived. Recommended to all foodies.
on 21 January 2012
This was a Christmas present for my sister who is also a fabulous cook and person! From the moment she unwrapped it, she couldn't put it down for long and kept dippiong into it whenever she had a second to spare.

I am no cook, but thoroughly enjoy anything that Clarissa Dickson Wright produces and, in this publcation: A History of English Food, she excels herself. Not only with the included recipes, but the sheer genius in the prose of her research.

This is a book to be enjoyed by anyone at all interested in food. Especially eating!! It is about time someone wrote about 'English Food' - there is just so much to learn and appreciate: you could leave your dinner party guests speechless with your new-found knowledge!

Don't just take my words for it, read the lengthy reviews written by others for the in-depth details. Only 2 problems, 2 of them rated A History of English Food with just 4 *s, why?? So ignore the reviews, just read it for yourself!
on 19 July 2015
Love this book, I can hardly put it down, it's fascinating. It's huge, it's going to take weeks to read! But it's well written, easy to read, full of anecdotes as well as facts. If you like food & history it's a great read
on 20 July 2015
An excellent history of English food. Full of information and well written. I first obtained it from my local library but wanted my own copy so as to be able to use it as a reference and dip back in from time to time.
on 10 March 2014
Excellent bed- time reading except for the desire to get up and make cheese on toast! Scholarly, amusing,informative, comforting and enlightening, perfect for anyone who loves food and is intrested in social history.
on 9 May 2013
Clarissa loves food and that comes over so well in this book, all the periods are covered with an incredible depth of knowledge but with a lightness that makes this a great read!
on 30 May 2013
I gave this to a magnificent cook, who loves it. It is informative, interesting, well written and has loads of tips, facts, interesting articules etc.