on 22 April 2012
After seeing this as a free download (at the time of 22/04/12) I thought I would be a fool not to give it a try. I should say that my knowledge of traditional classical music is exceptionally low, so this review won't go into depth on the composers or the distinct styles of the composers. The thing that appealed to me was that I do like orchestral music in the form of film scores and I thought this would be a good taster of more traditional classical music. I have to say I really enjoyed the majority of the tracks. As you would expect, the performance of the different orchestras across the album were superb.

Given that classical music (in my opinion) is much more complex than the vast majority of other types of music, the recording quality is more important as to hear the intricacies of each instrument. According to the track titles, at least 7 of the tracks have been digitally remastered, and I thought the sound quality was excellent throughout.

Overall, if you can spare just over 70 minutes of your time and 110MB in hard drive storage space, there is no good reason not to download this great compilation album. It won't be too everyone's tastes, and I would be lying if I said I liked every track. That said, I will definitely go away and look at the other work of some of the composers. For those who have a good knowledge of classical music, there may be nothing in this release that would warrant the download. For those (like me,) who are still fairly new to the genre, I think this is a great way of seeing what style you like, without the risk of blindly forking out money on a composer who you may not like. This release is not even a drop in the ocean when accounting for "classical" music as a whole, but considering it is free, why not give it a try?
on 25 April 2012
An excellent blend, every track giving top quality from the greatest female opera star Maria Callas to the worlds greatest composer Mozart. Simply a superb collection.
on 21 April 2012
Another free Amazon sampler to download.

Most of the tracks are all good stuff and you'll recognise the tunes.

Just a couple of opera type tracks that I found a bit screechy for my taste but overall a good selection from Gramophone.
on 22 May 2012
A free download and what a delight, beautiful to listen to and unwind after a busy day at work, makes me feel totally relaxed, I do enjoy the classics. Quite a collection on this album, and for free definitely can't go wrong
on 23 May 2012
an enjoyable classical mix that gives a great sample f the classical world of music. If you are new to classical music this will give you a broad spectrum of different types of music to sample.
on 24 May 2012
Excellent download my first time hence being only a 'sampler'and me being a silver surfer, but as I found it easy would do it again.
on 4 June 2012
How good is this, a complete album with a great selection of classical favourites totally free of charge. Ye cannae whack it!!!
on 15 June 2012
The download service is great.Instant music is the way to go.No more CD's to find a place for.I would use this again and again
VINE VOICEon 28 July 2012
A lot of nice stuff here and a great introduction to classic historic recordings - be aware the quality is not representative of recent recordings though.
A nice sampler of some true greats - the only one I don't get is Callas, I've sampled a number of her LPs (old school CDs) and cannot understand the reverence she seems to be held in (I always see a mental picture of Disney's Dame Clara Cluck!)
EMI Classics Gramophone Hall of Fame Sampler 2012.
With Herbert von Karajan, Maria Callas, Claudio Abbado, Wilhelm Furtwangler, Leonard Bernstein, Carlos Kleiber, Jascha Heifetz, Placido Domingo, Simon Rattle.
Free to download at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007TVXQXG/ref=cm_cr_rev_prod_title