5.0 out of 5 stars A great taster for those who are new to classical music
Published on 22 April 2012 by L. Hubbard

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
Easy listening - I only chose it as it was free, but I enjoyed it.
It isn't what I usually listen to, but worth a freebie!
Published 19 months ago by Tizer_0189

5.0 out of 5 stars A great taster for those who are new to classical music, 22 April 2012
L. Hubbard (Cardiff) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: EMI Classics Gramophone Hall of Fame Sampler 2012 (MP3 Download)
After seeing this as a free download (at the time of 22/04/12) I thought I would be a fool not to give it a try. I should say that my knowledge of traditional classical music is exceptionally low, so this review won't go into depth on the composers or the distinct styles of the composers. The thing that appealed to me was that I do like orchestral music in the form of film scores and I thought this would be a good taster of more traditional classical music. I have to say I really enjoyed the majority of the tracks. As you would expect, the performance of the different orchestras across the album were superb.

Given that classical music (in my opinion) is much more complex than the vast majority of other types of music, the recording quality is more important as to hear the intricacies of each instrument. According to the track titles, at least 7 of the tracks have been digitally remastered, and I thought the sound quality was excellent throughout.

Overall, if you can spare just over 70 minutes of your time and 110MB in hard drive storage space, there is no good reason not to download this great compilation album. It won't be too everyone's tastes, and I would be lying if I said I liked every track. That said, I will definitely go away and look at the other work of some of the composers. For those who have a good knowledge of classical music, there may be nothing in this release that would warrant the download. For those (like me,) who are still fairly new to the genre, I think this is a great way of seeing what style you like, without the risk of blindly forking out money on a composer who you may not like. This release is not even a drop in the ocean when accounting for "classical" music as a whole, but considering it is free, why not give it a try?

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word "Excellence", 25 April 2012
Mr. C. R. Healey "Colin Healey" (Plymouth UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent blend, every track giving top quality from the greatest female opera star Maria Callas to the worlds greatest composer Mozart. Simply a superb collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable collection but not all as good as the rest, 21 April 2012
Another free Amazon sampler to download.

Most of the tracks are all good stuff and you'll recognise the tunes.

Just a couple of opera type tracks that I found a bit screechy for my taste but overall a good selection from Gramophone.

5.0 out of 5 stars music, 15 Jun 2012
The download service is great.Instant music is the way to go.No more CD's to find a place for.I would use this again and again

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value - it was free!, 4 Jun 2012
Mr. J. S. Dare "John Dare" (Bedford) - See all my reviews
How good is this, a complete album with a great selection of classical favourites totally free of charge. Ye cannae whack it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars My first download, 24 May 2012
Excellent download my first time hence being only a 'sampler'and me being a silver surfer, but as I found it easy would do it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic mix, 23 May 2012
Dominic (Polegate, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
an enjoyable classical mix that gives a great sample f the classical world of music. If you are new to classical music this will give you a broad spectrum of different types of music to sample.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 22 May 2012
Jue (Deeside, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A free download and what a delight, beautiful to listen to and unwind after a busy day at work, makes me feel totally relaxed, I do enjoy the classics. Quite a collection on this album, and for free definitely can't go wrong

5.0 out of 5 stars Hall of Fame Sampler, 11 Mar 2013
I play this occassionally on my ipod and enjoy it but not something to listen to over and over again

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good, 28 July 2012
Philip Chadwick - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
A lot of nice stuff here and a great introduction to classic historic recordings - be aware the quality is not representative of recent recordings though.
A nice sampler of some true greats - the only one I don't get is Callas, I've sampled a number of her LPs (old school CDs) and cannot understand the reverence she seems to be held in (I always see a mental picture of Disney's Dame Clara Cluck!)