Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 22 October 2012
This is an exciting story. I really enjoyed reading it and I will be recommending it to teenage readers who enjoy a good mystery. The main character is a boy called Cal who lives with his mother and unpleasant stepfather Des, and Des's equally unpleasant son, Ryan. Cal starts seeing strange things - cracks in the ceiling that appear and then have disappeared a few moments later, strange pinpricks of light on his hands etc and then, just as he is about to get a severe beating from Ryan, he wakes up in a hospital bed. The medical staff tell him he has been in a coma for 12 years following a road accident when he was a toddler. But if that is true, who were Des and Ryan? The plot thickens when Cal realises this "hospital" is protected by heavily armed guards. Cal doesn't know what to believe, or who to trust, and the story roars along as he tries to acquaint himself with the strange new world of 2024 and find out what has happened to him.

This has a well constructed and highly original plot. I truly hope that the year 2024 doesn't turn out to be anything like a bleak as Ms Green portrays it, but she has created a believable scenario and a set of events that will have readers racing through the book to finds out how it ends. They won't be disappointed.
on 19 May 2012
CRACKS REVIEW

This new book written by Caroline green is stunning and will drag in any teen reader. It begins with a young boy called Cal, he lives a normal life until... He wakes up from a coma to find that the last twelve years of his life have been a lie. Can Cal find out and unravel the mystery of his life before It's too late?
My favourite character is Jax, a character who becomes Cal's best friend. Jax is my favourite character as he is witty and determined.
The language used in this book is very descriptive and easy to read. The tone of this book is unique and changes depending on what is happening at that very time. It starts slowly but as the story becomes more tense, the tone speeds up!
This book is impossible to put down and I savoured every word, not wanting the story to end. This is one of the best books I have ever read along with Dark Ride.
This is a book I would definitely recommend and would rate it 4.5 out of 5!
By Matthew Hewson aged 13
on 6 July 2013
Cracks, what a brilliant book! First of all, a huge thank you to Piccadilly Press for sending me a copy for review, because I loved this book so much! This is the first I’ve read by Caroline Green, and I’m so glad to have been introduced to such a talented YA writer. Cracks is a very thrilling read with a unique story line. And the writing, the beautiful, fluid writing style of Caroline Green is what pulls the reader into the story and gives them the best reading experience they could have.

Who do you trust when your whole life is a lie?

I started reading Cracks, not knowing what exactly it was about or where it was going. Well, I was completely shocked when it took a turn that I was not expecting at all. Actually, I thought it was a bit crazy! At first, I was so shocked I didn’t know if I liked where the story was going, but then I realised how unique the story was, that it had actually taken such a shocking turn and twisted the whole story around. I loved that the plot was completely unpredictable throughout the book! With all the twists and turns, it was hard to relax! Such a fast-paced novel, mysterious, thrilling, what more could you want?

Overall, I liked the characters. The main character, Cal, was very relatable, but I found him annoying sometimes and I thought his reactions were a bit unrealistic at times as well. If I found out that my whole life was a lie, I’d be hysterical! But that was only a small pet peeve for me. I really disliked Jax as a whole. I found him very irritating, and I just couldn’t stand him! But I’m glad I had characters that I both like and disliked. Kyla was such an interesting character, in my opinion. She was mysterious, and intriguing. A nice set of characters overall.

“My whole world had been destroyed.”

I don’t want to give too much away, but I loved the chillingly realistic society Cracks was set in. Definitely one of the most realistic dystopian societies I’ve ever read. It wasn’t a completely different world to what we live, it was a realistic, relatable society that I can see ourselves living in, in the future. And the author developed this frighteningly realistic society so effortlessly!

Caroline Green is one of my new favourite authors, because of how brilliant a writer she is. This is how a YA book should be written! Every line was meaningful, there were no unnecessary scenes or situations in the novel. I love Caroline Green’s writing style, and how fluid and effortless it is. Everyone should read a book by this author if your a fan of YA.

Overall, Cracks is a brilliantly written YA book. A fantastically unique plot, a great set of contrasting characters, a chillingly realistic setting, and an overall exciting read! I read Hold Your Breath, by the same author, straight after and loved it even more! I can’t wait to read her other novel, Dark Ride, too. Caroline Green is definitely an author to look out for!

Just a quick note: If your planning on reading Cracks, I recommend you don’t read the Goodreads synopsis as I think it gives too much away and will ruin the overall experience of reading this book.
on 24 June 2012
This is a gripping story that takes the reader into unpredictable territory. I don't want to give any of the plot away - suffice it to say I never knew what was going to happen next. Green creates a fascinating world and convincing characters, punchy dialogue and a perfect mixture of suspense and humour, as well as raising serious questions about the role of surveillance in a free society. Thoroughly recommended.
on 8 June 2012
caroline green came to my school and talked about the book cracks and when i read the book it was amazing
on 27 June 2014
I began reading this in a library, but then bought the e-book instead. Never heard of it or the author but couldn't put it down once I'd picked it up. Great story line with massive twists, and loads of great characters. With action, thriller, (kind of) horror and a bit of romance, this book it just my type. I highly recommend this!! =) ; D
on 14 June 2012
MY REVIEW
I received a paperback of this book from the lovely people at Piccadilly Press, so Thankyou to them!
I think the bright cover does its job as it certainly grabs your initial attention. Then there's the byline of "Who do you trust when your whole life is a lie?" which holds your attention and starts off your curiosity of what the book is about. The boy on the cover give's us the impression of the boy running and possibly being chased and watched too.
Now to the book...The book is in three parts. I have to admit I was a bit confused by Part 1 as to what was happening to the boy. You are looking at his life through his own eyes of memories of incidents that have happened. I have to admit I was at times thinking What on earth am I reading here ? I decided to stick with the book as it had sort of got my curiosity going and I wanted to know more, What is the significance of the cracks? Is this boy nuts?
Onto Part 2, this is where we truly learn more about Cal. Or as much as we can learn when Cal doesn't really know who he is anymore, where he came from, or who is family is! It's in Part 2 that Cal escapes the repressive regime that has been keeping him in the induced coma and experimenting on him (I can say that much without revealing spoilers as it is stated in the blurb). So we are now following Cal and his confused thought as to who he really is, and where is his family etc. Cal has to wonder who he can trust in this newer world that has opened up to him quite suddenly. there's plenty of mystery, suspense and action in this book, there's even the odd bit of humor in it too. Cal has to decide whether to trust the local resistance that "rescued" him are they for real or do they just want him to perform their own tests on?
Now to Part Three, This is where everything has been building up to, the climax! The book definitely has you on the edge of your seat by now. you feel you want to know everything as much as Cal does.
Cal meets some street kids who he "hangs" about with for a while. Can't say too much and give away spoilers. Cal learns some of what has happened in the world whilst he was in his induced coma from the street gang.
Once again the tension is building to yet another climax, What will happen to Cal? Will he find what he is truly searching for? Will Cal ever be truly free?
You will have to read the book to find out, its well worth reading!
So did I enjoy this book? Y..es, it had its slower parts in part 1 where you are totally in the dark as to what is happening, which irritated me a little, but then, that made me want to stick with the book and read more to find out what happened. Would I recommend? Y..es to a patient reader. I would warn about the confusing Pt 1. Would I read more if this is a series? Yes. Would I read more by Caroline Green? Yes.
on 22 October 2012
It's a good book and it would make an awesome film because it's a very exciting story with lots of twists and turns. I really liked the main character and the way it was set in the future. Lucy, aged 10.
on 22 August 2013
My 14yr old son hates reading but had to read a book this summer for school, I chose this one after reading the reviews; what can I say, he absolutely loved it, he now wants me to get him another book!
on 27 April 2013
Caroline Green is such a talented voice in contemporary YA fiction. Very much looking forward to the next offering from this exciting author.