4.0 out of 5 stars Okay
Published on 14 April 2013 by M. Reynolds

2.0 out of 5 stars Really fussy about cables and devices
I have several devices such as smartphones, Blackberry, kindle, etc. And several "wall warts" that came with these. And laptops with USB ports. And various cables. And they all work perfectly with each other on any combination.
Published 13 months ago by AdamV

2.0 out of 5 stars Really fussy about cables and devices, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Masterplug SRGAUSBPW Surge Protected Mains USB Charger (DIY & Tools)
Except for this Masterplug. It simply won't work with some of the cables I have that work perfectly well the rest of the time. In particular I have a shorter cable that lives in my work bag, and I would love to use this rather than having three feet of cable trailing across the kitchen worksurface (where I wanted to use this plug to charge devices while keeping an eye on them for incoming calls, messages, emails etc).
It just does not work with some cables, or some devices, in combinations I can't really work out. And it seems especially fussy if the device is really low on battery, just when I need it most!
A great idea, ideal if you have few sockets or for holidays, but so badly carried out I can't recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very low power on the USB, 30 Jan. 2014
Kannan Venkataramani "Kannan V" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
A very nice idea but poor usability in terms of power on the USB ports, have 2 samsung phones and they fail to charge when the batteries are pretty low on both the phones, its sometimes a hit or miss, so if you are buying this for more power, then this does not have enough juice to feed 2 phones at the same time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fails to deliver on basic objective, 3 April 2014
Ok, I read the other reviews but thought surely it must be able to perform it's key objective of actually charging connected USB devices? After all I only planned to charge mobile phones, not iPads from it. I was wrong.
Maybe if the plug wasn't trying to light up the room with two pointless lights then it might have enough power to actually charge the connected devices? It will happily charge a single Nokia handset, but connect a second and the whole thing gives up and seems to drain the batteries of whatever is connected. Result - two mobiles with no charge the next morning. Great.
Presumably surge protection works, but as it doesn't manage to do its other core function I'm not holding out much hope.
Next time I'll take more notice of other reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 14 April 2013
M. Reynolds (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
Purchased this specifically for the surge protection and the two USB ports, which I hoped would save me having to plug in various different adapters. Good quality product that comes with a guarantee. My only complaint, and for me this is one of the reasons why i purchased the product, is that the USB ports will not charge and iPad2 / iPad4. No problems charging my mobile phone or iPod.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid!!! This product: - emits a ..., 1 Sept. 2014
Avoid!!!
This product:
- emits a low buzzing sound
- fills the room with unwelcome light at night
- only works after 3 or 4 attempts of switching it on & off / plugging & unplugging
... And that's with just one phone attached - I haven't bothered trying it with two, even though that's why I bought it. Far too much hassle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 27 May 2013
Highly recommended. Excellent combination of twin USB phone charging sockets and surge protection without losing the availability of the socket it's plugged into.

Note: Both USB sockets are relatively low power (for two iPhones etc). An iPad would probably take a long time to charge with this device. PortaPow make a great high power 3.5A twin USB charger (but without surge protection) which caters for an iPad and iPhone.

3.0 out of 5 stars takes ages, 10 Aug. 2013
James Anderson "james anderson" (edinburgh scotland) - See all my reviews
i bought this because it looks great and thought it would charge at least as good as my charging plug,but it takes unbelievably
long, so i sent mine back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, neat and good quality., 21 May 2013
P. D. Rogers "South Shields" (South Shields,England) - See all my reviews
I bought it to recharge my sons Xbox wireless headset, mainly because the usb ports are at the top and easy just to pop the lead straight in. The added bonus is the socket is still available to use as normal. Superb.

4.0 out of 5 stars very clever, 28 Mar. 2013
a very clever bit of kit that has freed up a socket in the kitchen and allowed my wife and I to charge our phones through USB cables at the same time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't charge half of the devices, 16 Mar. 2015
Very low charging power (1A total, less than 0.5A per port), whereas some devices would require 2A per port to charge, doesn't work with half the devices (Kindle, Samsung Galaxy S4/S5 work, Nokia/Blackberry/iPad etc. don't), annoying lights, wobbly in the socket.