I was under the initial impression that "The Contented Baby's First Year" was actually an elaborated version of "The Contented Little Baby Book", however was quickly proven wrong. It is in fact, a beautiful book, easily understood and with superb photographs illustrating main points, techniques and levels of a baby's development over its first year, which greatly enhance the adjoining text.

The useful information is presented in an easy-to-read manner with simple bullet points relating to the chapter and coloured text boxes highlighting helpful tips, which are great for quick reference purposes, although there is a complete index at the end.
Many questions and common problems are tackled and answered in an explicit, clear and concise manner providing not only a realistic solution but also an explanation as to why these problems occur in the first place so as to avoid them in the future.

Though it could be read alone, I feel that "The Contented Baby's First Year" would be much better appreciated as an accompaniment to "The (New) Contented Little Baby Book". It offers wonderful and easy suggestions and advice, which genuinely help the development of a child and positively enhance the experience of raising one.

Not a single aspect of a baby's first year - for both mother and baby - has been overlooked. This is a book to keep and treasure.

Highly recommended.
on 17 July 2007
This book is fantastic!!! A well illustrated practical guide to the first year with your new baby. Do not have the preconception that this book will focus on routines. It doesnt what it focuses on is really helpful advice-a step by step picture of a nappy change (something we arent really told) how to burp your baby, and development milestones in the first year. Yes, it has fantastic sleep and feeding ideas by Gina but they are gently suggested not laid out in a routine, it suggests how to get baby into sleeping well outside of the house as well as inside-but again these are suggestions not routines laid out. The book suggests what toys your baby may like at 4 months for example and details baby massage techniques. In addition to all this the photos guide you through it. It is exactly what is needed for a new mum - I wish I would have had it and would buy it for any of my pregnant freinds. Brilliant Book.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Wow, I can't believe that a book like this didn't exist before now. It is the ultimate a-z guide book for bringing a new baby home. For those of us that had no idea and had not been around babies before, this is fantastic.

You don't need to be a Gina Ford fan to appreciate this book. It is such a practial book on everything you need to know about the first 12 months like how to hold, bath, change nappies and so much more. All things that I didn't know until I was a mum myself, then I had to figure it out on my own.

So many new mums today are 'older mums', leaving careers where they knew exactly what they were doing. A new baby can be overwhelming, but this book is the 'instruction guide' that we have all been wanting and waiting for. It should be handed out to all new mums at maternity hospitals.

I think that this book would make an ideal baby shower gift for a friend or yourself!
on 14 July 2007
I sooooo wish I had this book with the contented baby book when I started. Questions that arise like how do I settle my baby? What stage of development should she be at? Where do I head next are answered. This book is written in a simple, easy to understand format with pictures to illustrate various techniques of settling, feeding etc.

This book also helps understand that Gina's routines are a guide and how they can be adapted. The sections on development are fantastic and show an understanding that all babies are individuals and will grow at different rates and not to worry about your own child's development.

If you want to read a book with good, practical down to earth advice, this is a great one to buy. I would recommend buying this one with the contented baby book as it answers questions that may arise with Gina's routines.
on 16 July 2007
This is a great book. It is very well laid out with clear sections for each month. This is unlike some baby books which are full of dense text to wade through.
This book has some gorgeous pictures to complement each section and really useful info about all aspects of baby care. I wish I had read it before I gave birth but will certainly find it useful for months 6-12 of my baby's life.

Even if you are not interested in CLB routines or routines at all you should buy this book as it mentions routines but really only peripherally- it is much more than another Gina Ford routine book.

It's also a lovely book to have out on display.

Definitely buy this book- it has all you need to know set out clearly and doesn't get bogged down with loads of irrelevant details. It's concise and easy to read.

Another great book from Gina Ford!!
on 8 April 2009
I bought a copy of this book when it was first available and I loved the gorgeous pictures and practical advice. Since then I have bought it for several of my friends who have had babies and they have all said the same thing - it is a beautifully presented, informative book. I especially like how the information is laid out in an easy-to-read format: bite-size chunks of knowledge with clear headings under different age groups. Gina Ford's routines are mentioned in the book but they are not the central theme, for that you will have to look at the Contented Little Baby Book. I think this is a definate plus as it makes it a book that's very accessible to all parents, not just those who want structure in their (and their babies) lives.

I have both a Miriam Stoppard book and "What to expert in the First year" and I have to say that they do very different things. If you want a book that you will refer to throughout your babies first 12 months but that you will also keep and cherish along with things like your babies first shoe, etc (and one that is perfect to give as a gift) then Gina Ford's First Year book is the one for you!

Reading this book, it's easy to see why Gina Ford in the UK's bestselling childcare author!!!!!
on 25 July 2007
This is an excellent book for first time mums with little time!! The top tips are particularly helpful as is the easy to read style of writing. The gorgeous pictures helped me to imagine what my little girl is going to look like as the months pass by. I'd recommend this to anyone.
on 25 July 2007
Is how this book has been described, and I have to agree. It is beautifully written and illustrated, and packed full of information useful to not only first time parents, but to second and third timers too! I already have one pre-schooler and found myself wondering just how useful this book would be with my second due in 6 months time....surely I knew it all right? Wrong! I found myself saying things like "ooohh, so THAT's what that was" and "ah-ha - that's what I need to do when this happens!" Even my husband (yep, he read it too!) "exclaimed aloud" a few times....!

But seriously, this book is for everyone. It does sit side by side quite sweetly with the Contented Little Baby book series', but if you're not a fan of these, or any other routines, then you can take heart and buy this book with confidence, as it really isn't wholly focused on routines at all. Plus, it would make a delightful gift to any parent - mum or dad!

In summary, whether you're a first time parent or a tenth timer, this book will be a welcome addition to your parenting bookshelf, and by the time the twelve months are over, a well thumbed one at that!

Just one more thing, I couldn't possibly review this book without mentioning the babies that are featured in it. They're simply too cute and squishy to forget, and the photography, lighting and illustration is simply, well, stunning!
on 14 July 2007
This book is a saviour even if you are not a great fan of Gina Ford routines - or routines at all. It compliments The contented little baby book, but is excellent on its own.

I am a mother of two and wish I had this book when I had my first child. Not only does it explain every question that can come to your mind about your baby, but it gives a lot of practical information and good ideas.

What I like the most about the book is that it gives lots of helpful tips and tricks and has nice illustrations. I can read a page now and then, not having to read a full chapter.

This is definately the perfect gift to mothers-to-be.Wish I had one sooner!
on 16 July 2007
Gina Ford's latest book, "The Contented Baby's First Year", gives a month by month guide to what you and your baby can expect to experience during the first year. The book is very well presented with lovely practical photos showing new parents basic stuff like, diffent ways to hold a baby, and how to swaddle a newborn. Each chapter covers a month and gives information relevant to the particular age group. Helpful tips on getting your baby to sleep, feeding, when to wean, developmental stages are all covered in the book. This book would be great for first time parents, I would have certainly appreciated it when I had my first child.