Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 22 March 2013
I bought this album for the opening track - it is truly a stunner. There are a number of equally good songs but some of the others didn't grab me at first. So I did need to give it some time (it's worth noting that I prefer to listen to whole albums and I accept that there are always some songs that resonate more than others, but I believe that whole albums are intended to be an aural journey with highs and lows and so I don't skip songs or download only the most agreeable songs - often the 'lesser' tunes pay-off in the long term and this is as much about the quality of the songs as their tempo, lyrics or rhythm). So overall the quality is very good and the theme/tone is consistent. There are quiet songs and raucous songs and great musicianship throughout. I do like his voice, it is similar to Jeff Buckley's, or that is what comes to mind, so if you find Jeff Buckley too soft, lilting, or to much at the high end of the vocal spectrum then this probably isn't for you (or approach with caution). Funnily enough I don't particularly like Jeff Beck or the theatricality of Rufus Wainwright and yet the same musical moments on this album I really enjoy - I guess the Lighthouse song just made me a believer and that drew me in to Patrick Watson's world.
on 24 May 2012
Once again Patrick Watson and his talented musical collaberators do not disappoint. Continuing broadly in the vein of his previous three albums this is another collection of complex compositions which are frequently beautiful varied and always interesting. Anchored mainly with his inventive piano playing and trademark falsetto the songs are augmented with strings horns and all manner of instrumentation. It is not until you give the recording your undivided attention that seemingly previously unheard instruments are picked up. The opening track sets a high standard which is maintained throughout. Even for those not keen on a falsetto vocal there are two lovely instrumentals included.
on 28 May 2012
After listening to this Lp for a few weeks I think its even better than the classic 'Close to Paradise'. I was slightly let down by the last Lp 'Wooden Arms', which paled in comparison to its predecessor, but this latest effort has rejuvenated my love of this man and his band. Sweeping soundscapes and intricate atmospheres combine to stunning effect, further proving that there is no-one else around quite like him. A triumph.
on 28 May 2014
Perfect for nice listening with friends and alone! Great mastering! Recommend to any music lover around the world. Get it now!
on 27 January 2016
As far as the music is concerned, this is a fantastic album - one of Watson's best.

However, the record that I ordered was nearly unplayable. It crackled and popped incessantly, which none of my other records do. I cleaned the record and changed my stylus and still nothing improved. Unfortunately, I think this was a faulty press and I've had to return it.

I've rated 3/5. 5/5 for the music, 1/5 for the record itself.
on 2 February 2016
Beautiful, poetic! From Lhasa to sigor ros to the achingly fragile moments of Jeff Buckley.
Late nights or rainy afternoons, you choose.
on 24 November 2015
Just beautiful from start to finish, have been playing it non stop since it arrived
on 5 November 2012
al primo ascolto gia' si rimane come estasiati da tanta bellezza sia la voce che la musica ti trasportano lontano e solo con le propie emozioni ,da sentire e tenerlo sempre con noi
on 18 September 2012
Found this guy playing with cinematic orchestra and thought to check him out. he is great and i highly recommend his albums, great musician.
on 3 February 2015