5.0 out of 5 stars THE BLUESMAN AT THE VERY TOP OF HIS CRAFT
Published on 26 April 2012 by FastHand

2.0 out of 5 stars More of the same
I like Walter. I've seen him live a couple of times. Both times he was good value with an energetic and entertaining performance. I bought 'Blues for the Modern Daze' with a view of seeing him again in the coming year but the album was just a compilation of churning out the same old formulaic blues riffs. Sure he does it very well, he's a great guitarist and if you've...
Published on 8 Jun 2012 by Dark Lord

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BLUESMAN AT THE VERY TOP OF HIS CRAFT, 26 April 2012
FastHand (Harefield, England) - See all my reviews
I'm ashamed to say that I went to see Walter Trout for the first time last year and he literally blew me away. I was exhausted but very elated when I left the Shepherds bush theatre as here I had witnessed truly one of the all time great blues guitarists who was not afraid to show his emmotions through his guitar playing. He plays very loud and fast blues but can also tease out of his Fender guitar some very soulful and emmotional blues.
This album "Blues for the modern Daze" has a perfect balance of both styles which complements the album and makes for great listening. I guarantee you will not be bored. One of the tracks "Pray for rain" is just Walter and an old second hand acoustic guitar he bought for fifty dollars still with original strings and recorded in mono to sound like an old time 30's blues song. That contrasts beautifully with "Brothers Keeper" which is a loud soulful guitar solo in which Walter makes the guitar soar and talk as if it's spitting out at you the feelings that come from within. Walter played in the 60's with canned heat, then joined John Lee Hooker's band and then went on to follow Peter Green and Eric Clapton in John Mayall's band. Yes this man is certainly up there with the best of them and in my opinion is certainly underated. When you hear this album you're under no illusion it's a talented guitar player you're listening to as he is right out there in front giving his all and not hiding behind other band members, as in my opinion, so many other guitarists do frequently these days.
As you have guessed by now I like Walter a lot and I think you will like this smashing Blues album.

5.0 out of 5 stars YES OH YES WALTER'S PRODUCED A CLASSIC !, 27 April 2012
pete clack - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This album playing at around 1.2 hours, containing fifteen tracks, including a brilliant booklet covering Walter's career so far plus some great photos. Excellent so far, but what about the music, what about the blues in this release. I've been a fan of this man's music for some years, and how he's not packing huge arenas is beyond me,he truly is one of the greatest guitarists there are, has a fantastic voice, a band who take some beating in any level of music. Walter is without any doubt the best blues guitarist there is, and there are some pretty good ones out there, honed his craft with Canned Heat then as a member of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers before getting going as a solo performer in his own right.OK to this album, simply the best blues album you'll hear anywhere this year likely next year as well, its an artist and band at the very peak of their creative powers. This should go down as an absolute classic, an album to treaure and play over and over again, in fact get a couple of copies as you could wear the first one out it's truly that good. All the songs are new,are self composed and there's not a weak song among the entire collection.Walter's made some very fine albums over recent years, but in depth,quality and sheer enjoyment this just about tops the lot. The opening 'Saw My Mama Crying' could have been by it's title a sad song,but it's about mother's life, sometimes good other times not so, but at over five minutes this song builds, with some storming guitar and is an absolute stunner to kick off the set with. A mix of all kinds of blues, over it's fifteen tracks, that really does what it says on the cover 'Blues For The Modern Daze', what a title but what an absolute gem of an album.Please I mean please do not miss getting your copy of what could be the best overall blues album for several years, yes it is that good. Walter Trout, thank you so much this is just an amazing set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something Fishy About His Albums Lately!, 15 July 2012
K. Buxton - See all my reviews
I really expected a lot more from this album and I'm a big Walter Trout fan, and he's one of my favourite guitarists, I've seen him twice and have bought all of his albums, my favourite is still `Prisoner of a Dream' just a fabulous album, if you don't have it then go out and buy it!

Well! This is not easy to say but I agree with `dark lords' comments in saying if you have several albums of Walters then there's nothing new or better here than he's already previously done, can't believe I'm saying this but just stating the truth.

So the two albums I've really been looking forward to hearing are here, Walter Trout v Joe Bonamassa's `driving towards the daylight' so being a Walter Trout fan it's hard to admit but Joe's wins hands down for me, well! Life's full of surprises, I'll give Walters 4 stars because of its great guitar work as usual & length of musical content.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Top Album, 3 May 2012
D. J. Lewis - See all my reviews
UTTERLY BRILLIANT - Already one of my favourite albums this year.
If this had a certain Mr Bonamassa's name on it the media would be raving about it.
By the way I'm also big fan of Joe's and for all of Joe's fans out there who haven't tried Walter yet, this is a great place to start, then I suggest you go through the back catalogue.
For those of you who are already Mr Trout converts, you will not be disappointed.
Fair play to Walter Trout, he rarely puts out a CD running under an hour and this is no exception running at 75+ mins. The quality is spot on and their is a booklet attached compiling some of his musical history plus some notes explaining his thoughts behind composing the tracks.
Some other artists out there should take note and stop ripping fans off with inferior quality short length CD's.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his best, 27 April 2012
music lover (rugby, warwickshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A superb cd and this will be a blues classic. Only one thing I don't like, the 'tra, la, laa' back ground vocals on 'You can't go home again'. Well done Walter.

5.0 out of 5 stars CONTEMPORY BLUES AT IT'S FINEST, 4 Jun 2012
YOU KNOW THE RULES GUYS NEVER BUY AN ALBUM FOR 1 TRACK, BUT AS EVER WALTER DID NOT LET ME DOWN, THIS IS THE 5TH WALTER TROUT ALBUM I HAVE BOUGHT AND THE BEST SO FAR IMHO. THIS IS WALTER IN 3 PHASES AND HERE'S A SURPRISE SLIGHTLY ACCOUSTIC AND LAID BACK, WELL WELL, THE SLOW GUTSY BLUES TUNE SMITH AT WORK, NORMAL AND THEN THE ALL OUT ATTACK WITH AN EMOTIONAL STORY TO TELL LIKE TRACK 1 WHAT AN OPENING NUMBER (I SAW MY MAMA CRYING) AND TO MY MIND THE EXPLOSIVE EXCESS BAGGAGE, CHRIST WHAT A TRACK, I ADMIT THE MORE I PLAYED IT THE MORE I GOT LOST IN IT, I FELT I WAS THERE A GUEST IN THE STUDIO.
IN MY VIEW PEOPLE TOO EASILY RATE ALBUMS 5 STARS, BUT I HAVE TO SAY THIS IS THE BIG KAHUNA, WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE PEOPLE AS MY AMERICAN COLLEAGUES WOULD SAY AND BUY THIS YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED
AND FINALLY THANK YOU WALTER FOR SUCH AN AMAZING EXPERIANCE

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 July 2013
I bought this as a present for my husband, who said it was an excellent choice and he would be more than happy to recommend it to any body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blues for Today (and Tomorrow), 25 April 2013
John Hewitt (West Berkshire) - See all my reviews
I absolutely love this album, I've been lucky enough to see Walt on numerous occasions in London, Wavendon and most recently Wimborne in Dorset (what a fab little venue there). 'Blues for the Modern Daze' hits the mark with soulful blues tracks that really pick out the key issues of today; loneliness, isolation and the increasingly insular society we live in today (Wow, that was a bit heavy wasn't it!). OK, cut the cr*p - Fantastic tunes, that old Strat working overtime on every track and it works so well in the Car or at Home * BUY IT * PLAY IT * LOVE IT *

5.0 out of 5 stars another great blues album, 24 April 2013
Its great to see that people are still writing excellent blues, this time with a modern twist. Trout has done a lot in his lifetime and this is as good if not better than his past offerings.

5.0 out of 5 stars At his best, 28 Mar 2013
P. Malcolm - See all my reviews
A great album with sublime guitar. Can't fault Walter Trout for creating the kind of solos we all wish we could play.

Blues For The Modern Daze