5.0 out of 5 stars Great second book, can't wait for the next!
Published on 12 Dec. 2012 by rhosymynydd

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same - by now you will love it or hate it
Published on 30 Sept. 2012 by Enquirer

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same - by now you will love it or hate it, 30 Sept. 2012
Enquirer (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Number 2 in the Rho series has all the strengths and weaknesses of 'Second Ship', the first offering in the series. I'm not going (again) to bother with the plot. After all its always on the Amazon page, well, kind of. In fact, it both bores and irritates me how many 'reviews' are merely re-iterations of the story of a book we have yet to read. What fun. I take it that if you are reading this, you actually want a view, not just a summary.

Certain flaws in the first novel are now rather more visible. Phillips obviously has been a long time in producing these novels, so the everyday tech is achingly out of date. People still use ordinary camera film because of imagined advantages. Secret agents pass floppy disks to each other. (In the first book old-style shrieky phone modems were used to download alien data!) the characterisation was obviously a bit tedious for him to do. Maybe someone forced him to bother in the first book, but now each character behaves like their own stereotype - other than when they act completely out of character for no known or explained reason whatsoever! For instance, Jen, one of the 3 teen prodigies from Book I does a runner from her family, takes with her world vital alien technology, has it easily stolen, is easily compromised despite her supposed new 'super-powers' etc etc, and then is easily rescued.

The main development is that the 3 kids have managed to tear their way out of the teen side of the series into the grown up side - a bit. They are now rapable and likkable, although there is no real chance of it actually happening. THEIR jeopardy is always minimal and sanitised. Everyone else's jeopardy is dirty, vicious and very very very very painful. Be aware that the number of anaesthetic-free mutilations definitely increases in this volume.

However, whatever my mind thinks, the rest of me is still slavering to read Book 3!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great second book, can't wait for the next!, 12 Dec. 2012
rhosymynydd "liz" (west wales) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After reading the Second Ship, I became addicted to this series if only perhaps to find out more about the wonderful imagination of author Richard Philips. The First ship has been forced to reveal some of its secrets to the world. AS yet unbeknown to the first's team a new ship has been discovered hidden for years, by a group of teenagers whose powers have grown daily since their discovery of the ship. Now the new nano-serum has been released on the world, but it changes human DNA, in a way that will alter humanity.

The teenagers have exposed the First ship to the world - The Rho project as it was known, while still keeping their own discovery a secret - however, the changes to their own bodies have led them at the start of the second book to a life on the run even from their own loving families, assisted by John and Janet runnaways themselves from their employers the FSA they move on to discovering more about the dual ships and the evil Dr Stephenson who has his own agenda with the first project unknown to his political allies. Meanwhile their concerned families wait for news and the teens move on. The know they are in a battle for earth itself and one they cannot lose.

This gripping series continues in volume three Wormhole.Immune (The Rho Agenda: Book Two)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 27 Nov. 2010
I read the first book in this series and loved it, and was a bit hesitant to pick up the second book (this one) as I didn't want to spoil my impressions of the first one - which were really high. I was also concerned that the second book would be a bit of a let down as it had a lot to live up to. Well thank you Richard Phillips as you definitely know what you're doing. The second book was amazing!

Anyway it was a great book, lots of action, plenty of twists and turns, interesting and likeable characters. So now I'm dying for the third book to come out. I felt like I'd escaped into the world that Richard had created every time I picked up the book to continue reading. The only regret I had was that I knew it was going to end at some point. I hope the third book is as good as the second and ten times as long.

Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Immune (The Rho Agenda) (Kindle Edition)
This book continued straight on from the first (The second ship) so I didn't feel I had to play catch up. This one really grabs your interest and I couldn't put it down. Just waiting for hubby to finish with my Kindle so I can start on Wormhole.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 1 Nov. 2010
This is the second book of the series and is a worthy successor to the first book. I have really enjoyed both books in the series. Yes the characters have flaws, and they seem to do some strange things which happen to push the story along. That said I enjoyed the book very much, and cannot wait until the third book of the series is released (Wormhole).

This is not a heavy work of science fiction, but a light read with an enjoyable story, and it kept me entertained on my commute too and from work. I now just need the third book to know how the story ends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Immune Book two of The Rho Agenda, 1 Jan. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although this is part two of the story it would be best to be read it in sequence as if it was one book in order to get the best of the story. Though it is an even more exciting book in its own right.
The three teenagers who are the central characters found the second ship after they came across it in a cave near their home. It was run by a robot and though it was badly damaged but they were able to communicate with it and it gave them some unusual powers.
The other ship had crashed when the two ships had fought close to earth and was taken by the government to a near by research establishment. They found a dead crew and also found interesting nanites in the bodies which could change the health of the world. But the top man in the establishment has now been experimenting and has plans of his own.
The teenagers are still undergoing powerful changes in their abilities and are having difficulty in hiding them from their parents and school friends.
The President of the United States is now proposing to give the nanites to the rest of the world, starting with Africa. But there is some opposition to his plans.
Things get exciting, with government agents, spies and those who want to get hold of samples to sell to the highest bidder.
One of the girls was kidnaped and the other two teenagers, who had once met an agent in the earlier book, then joined forces with him and his partner when the trouble arose to rescue their friend,

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Page Turner, 19 Feb. 2013
Susman "Sussman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The story and narrative, in this book and indeed in the three books of the series can at times seem slightly beyond the realms of possibility, but all is great as the action and the narrative make this a real page turner. I found, the standard set here is very good; and therefore would not hesitate in recommending this book and the three books of the series to fans of science fiction. This author is worth watching out for.

4.0 out of 5 stars so good, but if only I'd read the first book :-/, 21 Feb. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Right so my problem was thinking that the first chapter (or so) of this would contain enough background info on the previous book to enable me to swiftly read this. I was wrong.

We follow several groups and individuals, changing at each chapter to a new perspective. From the off some of these refer directly to the previous goings on 'When A happened at B, he had felt C, he felt like that again now' where as others referred in hints 'it was like the incident from before, but this time he was prepared' some was even more vague.

So I did struggle with following the plot in places...about half way through I thought I had the hang of it, but another vague reference got me a bit muddled. HOWEVER saying all that, this was still gripping, the characters grew on me as did the intrigue. I knew for example that Stephenson has something planned, but didn't know what until it happened! This is very much a middle book - I am off to read the next one in a mo - as the 'conclusion' simply rounds of this thread but not the characters.

I feel this is really worth the read BUT please do take the time to read the first one first!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Sci-Fi story continues, 17 Jun. 2011
I picked up the first book in this planned trilogy for 71p when it appeared on my recommendations list. I was surprised at the high quality of writing, the length of the book, and the coherent story. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and bought this second book - Immune - as soon as I finished.

Immune continues the story set out in Second Ship. The twins & Heather are getting an inkling of what's in store for the world at large, while trying to come to terms with the changes happening to them. I really don't want to spoil any of the story for anyone interested so I'll just say a few more things:
The over-arching storyline is constantly progressing and the characters are continually developed (sometimes in unexpected ways). There's detail and colour, and humour and darkness throughout the book. I found myself sitting up straighter as excitement built at key points in the story.

I really enjoyed reading this book, and I can't wait for the third book to be released. It's sci-fi, it's a great story, and it's worth your money. Go buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read., 16 Oct. 2012
IMCPU2 "imcpu2" (Portsmouth England) - See all my reviews
Immune
This is not just a sci-fi book; it's a thriller, mystery and spy book in the very best of traditions. I loved this series, and this book is just as fast paced and intriguing as the first book. Immune follows on from the Second Ship with our 3 hero's coming to terms with their enhanced powers whilst trying to unravel the intrigues of the master villain who just happens to have the full support of the United States Government. And who to all intents and purposes is the saviour of the human race.
This is a well written book, with a winding and twisted plot in the best sense. It keeps you guessing and reading with baited breath. The characters are really interesting and appealing - well the good guys are, and the bad guys - well you just keep hoping they get theirs.
Science fiction just got better with Richar Phillips adding to the pot. Some new authors just stick to the same old trusted plots of space shoot outs, but this is so much better. I loved it.

Immune (The Rho Agenda)