4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to the factors which make England look so English.
I found this book fascinating, setting out in an easily accessible way the key factors which created England as we know it today.

Geology, land ownership, housing, hedgerows, roadways and railways....all of these and more impact on England as we see it today.

True, there is more about London, Leicestershire and the Home Counties. But to talk about...
Published 4 months ago by Timothy Sunter

Published on 9 Jun 2012 by R. Mitchell

2.0 out of 5 stars Felt like a stream of consciousness rather than a well-thought through book, 9 Jun 2012
R. Mitchell (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How England Made the English: From Why We Drive on the Left to Why We Don't Talk to Our Neighbours (Kindle Edition)
The idea of this book really interested me. I'd always wondered what made England look or feel different to other countries, even just over the channel. And the chapter headings seemed a logical structure to look at this. But I kept having to re-read the chapters to try and get to the point. So for example, it's really interesting to understand how laws around 'enclosure' make our fields look the way they do but I still don't really know why that is. Clearly the author knows a lot, but as he rattles through his points and his opinions (which I didn't always agree with as an Englishman) it doesn't stop long enough to set out exactly why things are the way they are. Maybe some of these things are too complicated to explain succinctly but I found that I could fill in some of the gaps by looking at other books and Wikipedia, so I suspect it could have done with sharpening up.

All in all, I'd have preferred bigger picture, and less breezy, journalistic opinion.

1.0 out of 5 stars How England made the English, 31 Jan 2014
Yet More nonsense from this second rate "author" do not waste your time on this or any of his other books utter rubbish ( in my opinion )

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 31 Jan 2014
Absolute waste of time and money this book tells you nothing you already knew from a writer that just makes things up- totally boring !!! Harry mount should pay you to read this

1.0 out of 5 stars don't waste your money or time!, 31 Jan 2014
One of the most boring, uninformative books i have ever read.

Very plain, watching grass grow is more exciting.

I would rather pull my own toe nails off before reading another chapter from this old balderdash.

Hope this helps.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wake me up, 1 Feb 2014
L. G. Dalton (PINNER MDX U K) - See all my reviews
What a boring book,Bill Bryson is a much better read than this. Fell asleep reading this dribble, don t waste your time or cash.

1.0 out of 5 stars irrellevent, 2 Feb 2014
Irrellevent book in todays world .Best get a book that has reaserched the subject entirely and has some relevence to the subject.

1.0 out of 5 stars Back to Skool, 1 Feb 2014
I have to say I was very disappointed in this book! As a keen historian interested in English history I expected a bit more instead of what looks like a series of extended newspaper columns strung together (a bit like Belle de Jour without the good bits ie all of it!)

I did a bit of digging and found out that this Harry Mount is an old Etonian and ex-member of the infamous Bullingdon Club! I imagine he expects cab drivers to doff their caps to him when he hands them a shiny new six pence as a tip and calls them plebs!

So, I say to Harry Mount in the best Etonian school master tradition - 'MOUNT!! C minus!! Go to the back of the class and see me after tiffin for six of the best!!'

1.0 out of 5 stars Harry get another job.PLEEEEEEEEASE !!!, 31 Jan 2014
Rubbish.AVOID.Biggest load of crap I've ever read.Nothing you couldn't get of the internet.Oh how I wish for a minus star rating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read something else, 31 Jan 2014
Had some to spare, thought i should fill it with some reading. regrettably i chose this book. After getting a 1/3 through it, i realised the error i had made. it's a tedious tomb, ill thought out by an elitist mind, viewing the rest of the nation as plebs, doing as they are told. I'll never be able to get that time back again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing read and author., 31 Jan 2014
I thought this was going to be a good read, how mistaken I was! Awfully dull and I am amazed that any good publisher would of agreed to sign this book. Going by his drivel, I know anything this man has to say must be a waste of mine and others time. So my advise to him is to shut up, grow up and get a proper job.

Taxi for Mount.....!!!!