4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to the factors which make England look so English.
I found this book fascinating, setting out in an easily accessible way the key factors which created England as we know it today.

Geology, land ownership, housing, hedgerows, roadways and railways....all of these and more impact on England as we see it today.

True, there is more about London, Leicestershire and the Home Counties. But to talk about...
Published 5 months ago by Timothy Sunter

Published on 9 Jun. 2012 by R. Mitchell

2.0 out of 5 stars Felt like a stream of consciousness rather than a well-thought through book, 9 Jun. 2012
R. Mitchell (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How England Made the English: From Why We Drive on the Left to Why We Don't Talk to Our Neighbours (Kindle Edition)
The idea of this book really interested me. I'd always wondered what made England look or feel different to other countries, even just over the channel. And the chapter headings seemed a logical structure to look at this. But I kept having to re-read the chapters to try and get to the point. So for example, it's really interesting to understand how laws around 'enclosure' make our fields look the way they do but I still don't really know why that is. Clearly the author knows a lot, but as he rattles through his points and his opinions (which I didn't always agree with as an Englishman) it doesn't stop long enough to set out exactly why things are the way they are. Maybe some of these things are too complicated to explain succinctly but I found that I could fill in some of the gaps by looking at other books and Wikipedia, so I suspect it could have done with sharpening up.

All in all, I'd have preferred bigger picture, and less breezy, journalistic opinion.

1.0 out of 5 stars How England made the English, 31 Jan. 2014
Yet More nonsense from this second rate "author" do not waste your time on this or any of his other books utter rubbish ( in my opinion )

1.0 out of 5 stars Back to Skool, 1 Feb. 2014
I have to say I was very disappointed in this book! As a keen historian interested in English history I expected a bit more instead of what looks like a series of extended newspaper columns strung together (a bit like Belle de Jour without the good bits ie all of it!)

I did a bit of digging and found out that this Harry Mount is an old Etonian and ex-member of the infamous Bullingdon Club! I imagine he expects cab drivers to doff their caps to him when he hands them a shiny new six pence as a tip and calls them plebs!

So, I say to Harry Mount in the best Etonian school master tradition - 'MOUNT!! C minus!! Go to the back of the class and see me after tiffin for six of the best!!'

1.0 out of 5 stars Best left in the toilet, 30 Jan. 2014
As others have noted, this book is similar to listening to a rambling bore chuck facts at you without any sense of analysis to show how they tie together to answer the proposition held within the title. It's heavily London-centric and the North is mentioned predominantly to support lazy stereotypes such as Newcastle for example being mentioned as a place for semi-naked drunkness with very little credit given to it's industrial and cultural achievements in the last few centuries.
The fact the blurb on the front that says how wonderful this book is comes from the same paper the author has worked for tells you all you need to know.
This tome is just about fit to be the sort of thing you keep in the bathroom for dipping into when you have nothing else to hand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed doesn't come close., 31 Jan. 2014
Having read Mr Mounts dull and uninteresting newspaper columns, I thought that there may have been something of substance and of interest within the pages of this book.

I can confirm that perusing a ream of blank A4 paper would be more entertaining. Boring to say the least. I can only conclude the publisher needed the work as this 'effort' should never have made it to paper.

Uninteresting facts (of which some, as others have said), are incorrect and Mr Mounts writing contains less passion than a nun wearing a chastity belt.

Avoid avoid avoid. I'd spend my money on one of the other recommendations.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 31 Jan. 2014
Absolute waste of time and money this book tells you nothing you already knew from a writer that just makes things up- totally boring !!! Harry mount should pay you to read this

1.0 out of 5 stars don't waste your money or time!, 31 Jan. 2014
One of the most boring, uninformative books i have ever read.

Very plain, watching grass grow is more exciting.

I would rather pull my own toe nails off before reading another chapter from this old balderdash.

Hope this helps.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 27 Oct. 2013
T.H. (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought in light of great reviews from the media, now realised that this might be more down to the journalist author's friends than a genuine critique...
Others have said it is like a stream of conciousness, I would say badly written. There are frequent consecutive paragraphs being repetitive about similar things in different areas. Worse than that, things are just plain wrong.
Lots of others have also commented on this. An example?
The Severn Bridge was the longest in the world when opened in 1966? No, their own website says that the Forth Bridge (1964) was longer.
Could be a great book, but poorly researched and badly written. I got to page 79 before the number of times I had got annoyed with both caused me to give up.

1.0 out of 5 stars irrellevent, 2 Feb. 2014
Irrellevent book in todays world .Best get a book that has reaserched the subject entirely and has some relevence to the subject.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read something else, 31 Jan. 2014
Had some to spare, thought i should fill it with some reading. regrettably i chose this book. After getting a 1/3 through it, i realised the error i had made. it's a tedious tomb, ill thought out by an elitist mind, viewing the rest of the nation as plebs, doing as they are told. I'll never be able to get that time back again.