on 2 January 2013
I was recently bought a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas and this is one of the first books I downloaded; it was free so I thought I'd 'give it a go' and I'm glad I did.

Sienna is a strong female character with 'meta-human' powers. When abandoned by what could be described as an over-protective yet abusive mother she is thrust into a world that confuses her - who can she trust and who is out to use and abuse her powers?

One thing to note about this book is that it's definitely a page turner. I read it in less than a day in between housework, marking coursework and a shopping trip. Each moment I could read it I did. So in that sense I thought it was a great book.

In some senses however I found the main character flawed. We are consistently told how she hasn't had human contact, apart from her mother, for the majority of her life however she seems very adept at communicating with people; using humour, sarcasm and put-downs quite freely. Obviously she has learned a lot of this behaviour from the small amount of T.V. she is allowed to watch, but this doesn't quite explain how easily she adapts socially. There is a lack of naivety about her which I would expect (or at least a reason for her lack of naivety to be alluded to) in the novel.

That aside I enjoyed it and have promptly bought the next installment to see where it takes me.
on 14 March 2013
A great story really different and keeps you wanting to read more I have just brought the second book and can't wait to read it
on 8 January 2013
A very easy read that is entertaining from start to finish. Don't expect a literary masterpiece full of depth and you won't be disappointed.
on 14 March 2013
I downloaded this book for free onto my kindle and had read it within a day- i have now paid for the next booked in the series- would highly reccomend to anyone who has read and enjoyed the hunger games! Only grumble is they are not long enough!
on 15 January 2013
For such a short book I couldn't put it down!! I am very intrigued to ser how the other book pan out :)
on 10 August 2013
I had never heard of this series previously, but I'm glad I read it. At the beginning it does seem to be like every other Super Mutant book you've ever read, but it had it's own special appeal that make me want to read more. I'll be buying the rest of the series.
on 7 September 2013
Pros - exciting, very readable, intriguing, free

Cons - plot not particularly detailed, although it sets up questions for the next book

I was really pleasantly surprised by this novel. An interesting blend of sci-fi and urban fantasy thriller i think this book will appeal to a wide audience. It is well written and has a great sense of pace. Initially I wasn't sure, but after the first chapter i was hooked and good barely put the book down. The main character, Sienna, is well rounded and well written, especially as it is a first person perspective. The setting and descriptions are detailed without being laboured, a common trait of newer authors. The action is visceral and intense, with some shocking explosions of violence, creating a genuine sense of fear.
Throughout the novel it is clear Crane is setting up for a series, but for once this didn't annoy me, instead I became aware that I wanted to explore this world in more depth. Although you could argue that the narrative is a little bit thin and not a great deal happens, girl chased by seemingly invincible foe, but i would point such detractors towards Benchley's Jaws. As such I will get on a download the follow up right now, I hope it is as good as this.
on 16 January 2013
Not what I expected from the title but could not put this book down I loved it & would definitely recommend it
on 14 March 2013
It is very readable the only complaint I have it was very short. But then again it was for free.
on 17 February 2013
Another easy to read book - quite an interesting storyline although similar to the Twilight series of books. I would probably read Book 2 if it was free to see how it develops.