Format: Kindle Edition with Audio/Video|Change
Price:£4.83

on 28 October 2013
This book is part motivational manual, part inspirational and 100% gripping. A great book and a great story. Urijah Faber has a great way of seemingly talking to his audience straight through the book. Unlike someone who has just decided to write his own autobiography Faber had spent time coming up with a concept for his book, and written it as a motivational manual of how to reach the top of your profession using his life experiences as an examples. It is extremely well written. Faber is giving one message out in this book, Find out what you are passionate about! Then do everything in your power to make this to incorporate into your life as much as possible. He does come across as a mutational speaker and excludes confidence out of the pages.

I bought this book as I was interested in Faber's fighting style despite being a wrestler, he has great hand and throws punches in bunches, he has great body and head movement. Also once he gets a fight to the ground he is not content to "lay and pray", he is always looking for a finish and more often than not he finds it. After reading the book I became a fan of Urijah Faber the person as well.

Faber is unconventional and I think the best word to describe his would be as a pioneer. I said the book was engaging. Whilst reading the first chapter it was as if he had (not just) people like me in mind but me specifically! I could not have described my impression of Faber better then he himself said. To me he reminded me a bit of Ken Masters from Street Fighter II, he is the stereotypical all American jock, with all the usual perks and fighting seems like a side avenue for him rather then something he needs to do. If that is what you thought of Faber read this first chapter. He is the clean cut American college boy, facing a veteran, scared and tattooed, Mexican fighter. By perception alone Faber should get destroyed and run home never to think about fighting again. Read it and find out what happens.

The reason I called Faber a pioneer is because he got into MMA before there was MMA or more to the point MMA rules. This was before people realised they could make a living out of it, and inspired others to also take up the sport, with very little hope of return. His own story is not unlike the UFC's story to become the dominant brand in MMA (on a smaller scale of course). His formative year living in a commune, (even though he say he does not really remember these), definitely left an impression on him. This is evident on how his own fighting community was started and is now based.

Another example of Faber's pioneering ways is this book. Since this book others have tried to emulate the writing style. GSP's book The Way of the Fight, is similarly written as a motivational book, I have to say I did prefer Faber's book. Bruce Buffer's It's Time!: My 360-Degree View of the UFC, is written very closely to Faber's style, despite not being a fighter his message is very similar.

As I said before this gives a great insight into Faber the person, rather than just the fighter. The most appreciation I got from this book is Faber's intelligence he is a great fighter but he know he would not be able to do it forever so he is opening other avenues he is passionate about while he has the opportunity. In some cases the opportunities were needed to fund his early fighting career. This book is a great read and very inspirational & motivating. I would recommend it any one. You do not have to be a fight fan to enjoy this book, or to take something away from it.
on 6 December 2012
As a fan of faber I've found this book very interesting and have enjoyed reading about his road to success. Although I'm a big fight fan I would even recommend this book to those who aren't , due to the motivational nature of the book and good use of humour throughout.
on 5 October 2013
I bought The Laws of the ring due to having read recent reviews on GSP's book and a couple of reviewers saying they enjoyed Urijah Faber's book a lot better, so I thought I would give this book a go.

The book is broke down into 36 laws (chapters) entailing a law e.g. law no. 5: know yourself. I enjoyed the book but felt it was a bit slow at times and felt some laws are pretty basic e.g. law no. 3: create healthier habits, law no. 15: emulate the successful. Although, some laws are really fun to read, my favourite being law no. 23: be the bigger man, covering what happened to Urijah on a trip to Indonesia.

I really enjoyed the book but it being a bit slow at times and some basic laws it lost a star.
on 22 September 2013
I don't usually do these book review things but I feel like I have to let any potential readers of this book know how great this book is. I bought this book about a year ago assuming it was an autobiography but it is actually much more; it is an autobiography/self help/motivational/philosophical book. I always refer to the words in this book when doing anything in my life and it has worked. I am actually a much healthier person mentally and physically all because of this one book. Also reading this book got me interested in other books of the like which has been great for me.

Thank you Urijah for this book.
on 6 December 2015
Liked this book a lot - didn't realise initially that Urijah was such a positive or "deep thinker". Not just for those into UFC or MMA, some wise words.

Missed a star out as would have liked a bit more MMA, fight information on his career, but overall a really good book.
on 19 September 2012
Its a well written book, interesting and thought provoking. Urijah doesnt always present himself in the fashion that he does in this book, it turns out there is a lot more to him than meets the eye
on 1 January 2015
Long time fan of Urijah, I was expecting an autobiography and it is far more than that. Great read and tremendous success story

No limit to what this young man manages to achieve.
on 2 October 2012
Great book. Urijah is a deeper man than I expected. Wonderful book and I recommend it to anyone but especially if you're a fan of MMA och any sort of competition.
on 2 January 2014
great read, can be a bit of a page turned in parts but also gets lost a bit along the way , all in all a very good read
on 23 September 2013
Great read and an honest view point from a great fighter! If the other UFC biographies are like this I will be pleased