5.0 out of 5 stars Great protection for MacBook Pro keyboard
Published 12 months ago by Michael B

1.0 out of 5 stars Cover raised too high!
The cover fits around each key pretty well, but it is raised too high and the material is too thick to be depressed. This makes typing almost impossible unless you hit each key in the centre with the very tip of your finger, which I guarantee people who type with any speed don't do. Very disappointed.
Published 8 months ago by Matthew Lavery

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great protection for MacBook Pro keyboard, 20 July 2013
This review is from: PicknBuy® UK Black Keyboard Silicone Skin Cover use for Apple Macbook Air (13") and Macbook Pro (13", 15", 17") inch Laptop computer with Macbook Retina
I have always been unsure about the purchase of a product like this, as I like the feel of the MacBook keys and was unsure whether a keyboard cover would ruin the feel of them for a more mushy feel. However, after an unfortunate accident which involved Vanilla Cola slipping under the keyboard into my laptop (Which it luckily survived without much problem), I decided that it would be a good investment for the protection of my laptop.

It is thin, and covers all of the keys on the keyboard perfectly and all the buttons match to what the normal keys should be, apart from the top right button which on the original keyboard shows an eject sign however on the keyboard cover shows a power button, however I don not mind this at all and it may be correct on other MacBook models. Due to it being thin, it means that the nice feel of the keys does not get replaced by a horrible mushy feeling when you press keys and feels nice when typing. Not as nice as without the cover, but it is almost the same.
A quick test under the tap showed that although thin, this cover is brilliantly waterproof and the side that did not receive water directly was perfectly dry, I wish I had one of these earlier to protect my laptop from the cola. Dust and crumbs and other small items will also not get under the keys anymore with this cover as it covers the keys entirely and lies close enough to the MacBook's body that nothing will slip under the silicone skin. The price is also very appealing as it could potentially save the life of your laptop. Luckily mine survived it's encounter with my drink, but I was lucky. This £5 cover could save you a couple hundred pounds in repairs.

Now, the main disadvantage (and the only disadvantage I could find). If you are a user of the keyboard backlighting, you may be disappointed that the lighting will not shine through the numbers and letters on the silicone like it does the normal keyboard, and the green light which indicates whether caps lock is on is a little harder to see. This, however, does not affect me as I rarely use the backlighting as my room is rather well lit most times and when dark the keyboard is often lit enough by the screen to be readable and I am able to locate keys without looking due to my years of typing on keyboards so I do not often have to look anyway.

Overall, I would highly recommend this keyboard cover. Especially, if like me, you are a little clumsy and like to eat or drink near your computer as it will stop crumbs and spillages damaging the laptop thought the keys and the cover can easily be removed and washed under a sink if it gets dirty.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cover raised too high!, 8 Nov 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Keyboard silicon cover for Mac Book Air 13, 19 Jun 2013
Terrible..Simply didn't fit,the laptop lid couldn't close ,and the keys didn't fit either!! Expecting transparent and not blak keys..Obviously sent me the wrong product..

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't even fit properly, 1 Jan 2014
Doesn't fit properly and refrains the laptops screen from closing, when it eventually does so leaves marks on your casing and screen, wouldn't recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 23 May 2013
Did what it said on the screen.

Some button icons aren't the same however.

however I don't use it anymore as I have got control over my eating habits.

2.0 out of 5 stars would not recommend, 17 Jun 2014
I have received my cover just today, and I'm typing this message using it. I would say its pretty durable and nice looking however buttons are just too high for my macbook pro retina. I'm not sure if they are going to leave marks as well on the screen too. I have seen a better solutions for less money. I'm intended to use it, since I have payed for it and it's pretty difficult to find covers with EU keyboard layout but typing quality is definitely not the best. Would highly recommend to search for better solutions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Alterations needed, 4 April 2014
No matter what keyboard protector you buy it is going to feel a bit odd in comparison with using the original keys. After using it and it settles into the rebate I think I will get used to it. I can put up with it if its going to avoid getting any tea and ginger biscuit crumbs that may get spilled under the keys when frantically typing my dissertation!!!

I did need to make some alterations along the top of the function keys where it hang over the top and didn't fit into the rebate too well. With a slight alteration with a Stanley blade and a cutting board we were ready to go.

It would be easy to be negative about this product with regards to how weird it feel when typing but I will get used to it if its going to protect my macbook.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok for the price, 27 Feb 2014
I went for this particular brand because it was cheap it does keep the dust out however if you have a macbook you have to take it out when close the screen because it will leave smudges on the screen and it doesn't let that much light though like others i've seen on the keyboard finished by the annoying brand logo on the spacebar which is really detracting. considering I could afford a macbook i should be able to afford a decent keyboard cover.

3.0 out of 5 stars No # (hash) key!!, 11 Dec 2013
It does the job in protecting the key board and fits well, it doesn't have the greatest feel and slows down your typing a tad due to it being of silicone material.

I did notice that the hash # key does not appear which is unfortunate, this is my first Mac in a number of years so I had to lift up the cover to find it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to my Mac Pro keyboard when on site, 1 Dec 2013
The skin cover is really thin and easy to put on and remove, although it does change the feel of the keyboard it is worth it to keep the dust off!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›