5.0 out of 5 stars 5Ghz Band used for Virgin Superhub 2 (Nov 2013)
Before this router, i used to use D-Link Home plugs to give me a wired ethernet connection between my gaming pc and my router. This gave circa 75% speeds of a wired connection and was better than standard Wifi.

Published 8 months ago by Michael

1.0 out of 5 stars First One Melted
My first n600 melted. The replacement died after 6 months. Do yourself a favour and buy something like an Edimax. Much higher quality.
Published 8 months ago by Jon B

5.0 out of 5 stars 5Ghz Band used for Virgin Superhub 2 (Nov 2013), 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WDN3200 N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter (Accessory)

When i switched to Virgin Fibre optic 60mbps this month, i found that the new Superhub that they supply can transmit wifi in 2.4ghz AND 5ghz bands (you see a seperate connection for each when looking for networks)

To cut down on wires and take advantage of this 5ghz router, i purchased this Dual Band Wifi Adapter.

I use Windows 8

IMPORTANT: When i plugged the adapter in for the first time, it couldnt see the 5ghz connection. it could only see the 2.4ghz connection. Before i returned it, i went on to the TPLink website. YOU MUST UPDATE THE DRIVER SOFTWARE FROM THE TP LINK WEBSITE IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE 5GHZ CONNECTION.
I updated the driver, and sure enough this adapter saw both 5ghz and 2.4ghz connections. Some customers may miss this so make sure you do the above if you want to take advantage of the 5ghz.

To give you an idea of the improvement, my broadband is 60bps:

When this was connected to the 2.4ghz, i was getting 10-12 mbps on Speedtest.

After updating Driver and connecting to 5ghz, i got 60-61mbps on Speedtest! Get 8mbps download speeds on Steam, 9mbps download speeds on Origin.

Very happy now that the adapter is connected to the 5ghz signal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, don't use the supplied driver!, 30 Nov 2012
I received this product free from tp link for buying a TP-Link TL-WDR3600 300Mbps Wireless N600 Dual Band Gigabit Router.

First of all I thought the product was garbage: my setup has both a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network with the same name & password and the adapter never connected to the 5GHz network when explicitly selected - it didn't even find the network until I changed the transmission channel, no matter what region I selected in the device manager properties for the device it would only find the network if I set a low (sub 100) channel number.

In the end I researched the device and found out that it's based on the Ralink 5572 chipset, downloaded the drivers direct from ralink ([...]) and voila - the adapter correctly connects to the network I tell it to and it finds networks on the channels I want!

The range seems good (covers all of my house) and performance connected to a 300 mbps network is as expected - when connected at 240-300 mbps I can pull files from my NAS at around 120mbps (this is expected, the actual network performance will always be about half the speed of the physical layer speed in a wireless network) - quicker than the 100mbps Ethernet adapter in my laptop.

In short - good product, but avoid the supplied driver!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, fast USB WiFi adapter, with a slightly dodgy software utility, 2 July 2012
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Most laptops now have built-in WiFi of some sort. Many desktops don't. If you're wanting to improve the WiFi connection speed of your Windows laptop, or to give your Windows desktop WiFi connectivity it didn't have in the first place, then this adapter is an option worth considering.

It's about 3" long, and has a blue light inside that flickers when the adapter is in use. It also has a WPS button for easy setup, but I typed in my security keys manually. A USB extension cable is provided, which may be useful if you're installing the adapter on a desktop computer. There's also a mini-CD containing the driver and utility software and a PDF manual.

It's a USB adapter, which means it's very easy to install, but it's also easily knocked when in use. If your computer can take an internal WiFi card and you can fit it or arrange for it to be fitted, then that might be a better option. USB is however the quick and easy solution.

This card is dual-band (it can work on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz) and can work at speeds of up to 300Mbit/s, which is twice as fast as the basic 802.11n data rate, and a lot faster than the 54Mbit/s you used to get with 802.11g. All of this is only useful if your home router (or wireless access point) supports the two frequency bands and the faster data-rates; otherwise, the adapter will slow down to match. The BT Homehub 3 router, for example, supports 300Mbit/s on the 2.4GHz band, but it doesn't have any 5GHz capability, so it should be fast but may be susceptible to interference on the more crowded 2.4GHz band.

The driver on the CD is essential: Windows 7 doesn't recognise the hardware without it. The WiFi connection utility is optional, and you can choose not to use it even if you have chosen to install it. I find it to be a little temperamental: on first use it wouldn't let me connect to a WiFi network until I had rebooted, and if I leave it running when my laptop goes to sleep, it incorrectly tells me that the adapter is disabled. It's better than the utility that comes with Windows 7, showing channel numbers as well as signal strength for each network.

Using quite a slow laptop connected to a 300Mbit/s-capable wireless router on the 5GHz band, at a distance of 5 metres I get data transfer rates of around 80Mbit/s: 600MB files transfer in under a minute.

Wireless doesn't yet offer the speeds you can get with wired ethernet, but it's getting faster. For browsing the internet, whether you have ADSL or fibre, this adapter should be able to keep up with your maximum internet download rates and still have a bit to spare, as long as your wireless router also supports the faster rate.

Note: If you want to be really cutting-edge, a few recent WiFi adapters are available that support speeds of up to 450Mbit/s. Once again, that will only be of use if your wireless router also supports 450Mbit/s. I'm happy with the 300Mbit/s that this adapter offers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Working on Ubuntu 12.04, 11 Feb 2014
We were recently upgraded to a Virgin Media package (30 mg broadband) for which we were sent a dual band super hub (2G and 5G). Our current (integrated) wireless cards weren't up to using this new technology so we needed new adaptors. After doing much research online, I choose this adaptor because other reviewers said it worked with Ubuntu without any configuring.

We've got 2 computers running Ubuntu (12.04) and I wasn't able to just plug in and have it working on either of them, but was fortunate to find instructions to get it working without too much trouble (only really need to know how to navigate around an Ubuntu terminal).

One slight drawback for me (hence 4, not 5 stars) is the size of this adaptor. I'm mostly on a laptop and this adaptor will get in the way and be knocked a lot - I wasn't able to find a nano-sized adaptor with dual band functionality.

I'm going to try to link to the instructions I found. As Amazon remove links in reviews, I'm going to stick some spaces in the link to try to get around this. If you do use the link, make sure you remove any spaces in the following link: linux-hardware-guide . com / 2013-05-30-tp-link-tl-wdn3200-n600-dual-band-wifi-adapter-24ghz-300mbps-usb-2-0

I downloaded the modified version of the drivers (which don't require you to do any editing of the files yourself) called DPO_RT5572_LinuxSTA_2.6.0.1_20120629_EDITED.tar.bz2.bz2

After that, it was just a case of navigating to the folder in question in the terminal window and
1. Unpacking the file: "tar xvf DPO_RT5572_LinuxSTA_2.6.0.1_20120629.tar.bz2.bz2"
2. Navigating into the newly created folder: "cd DPO_RT5572_LinuxSTA_2.6.0.1_20120629"
3. Making the installation: "sudo make" (and entering the administration password)
4. Installing the make: "sudo make install"

Testing our speed on speedtest shows we're getting the full speed (and a bit more) wirelessly through this adaptor.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a dual band adaptor for their Ubuntu system.

1.0 out of 5 stars First One Melted, 8 Nov 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Kept Crashing PC, 3 Nov 2013
Couldn't get this to work consistently, many PC crashes, woeful customer services - bought a Netgear instead, proved to be much better

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit!, 22 April 2014
N. Jones "SPOCK" (HAMPSHIRE, UK) - See all my reviews
The wireless internet connection on my old Dell laptop expired several months ago. According to Dell it was a software problem, along with several others! I recently took the brave, for me, step of reinstalling the operating system, which went very well amazingly. As I was still without wireless I decided to try the WDN 3200.

It was delivered 20 minutes ago at 09.00 by Royal Mail. The drivers didn't download automatically from the adapter so I loaded the mini disc into my external drive & followed the install instructions. If you have to do this make sure that you leave the adapter plugged in to another usb port. The installation took a couple of minutes & I was ready to connect to either my 2.4 or 5 Ghz network. My speeds are as good as my wired connection so I'm absolutely delighted.

This is a great piece of kit & as always, great service from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works at 5GHz on 8.1, you need to download file, 18 Jan 2014
This does work on Windows 8.1 at 5GHz, I am on-line right now using it. When you first plug it in though it will only see the 2GHz connection. You need to go to the TP-Link website and download the latest driver, try: [...] if that link is out of date then go to their website and search for the TL-WDN3200 and get the latest driver.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product was defective, 29 Oct 2013
My wireless router that transmits on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies. While initially able to see the 5GHz network, this adapter had problems connecting to it. After a few hours of disconnecting and reconnecting, any subsequent attempt to connect to the 5GHz network caused Windows 7 (x64) Network and Sharing Center to hang until the adapter was unplugged.

I proceeded to use the adapter for a few more days, connecting instead to the 2.4GHz network. Eventually, this too became unreliable and got to the point where just plugging in the adapter caused Network and Sharing Center to hang. The computer became unable to shut down or start up while the device was plugged in. Numerous clean re-installs of the adapter's drivers and beta drivers from TP-Link's website did nothing to solve the problem. At this point, I noticed the device was becoming extremely hot while plugged in to the computer, and so I decided to return it for a refund.

During the few days of use I got out of it, this adapter was very fast and had strong reception. I'm very disappointed that mine turned out to be defective.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 16 Jun 2014
Signal quite poor, tested it in comparison to my other wireless adapter, this one is worse but costs more. Just get a Belkin