4.0 out of 5 stars Great results, but like all the capture devices some issues
*Edit, 27 Jan 2014. A year of using this card, all still well. All my YT uploads can be seen at [...]but remember all vids uploaded to YT are heavily compressed, the original recordings from the Live Gamer are better!*
Published 15 months ago by Graham Steadman

1.0 out of 5 stars Editing software? Don't bother.
Edit: Further information on the sync problem can be found on AVerMedia's forums, sadly Amazon reviews don't allow direct links so you'll have to go hunting for it.

This MIGHT fine if you plan uploading recorded videos straight to YouTube but you don't have a hope in hell if you plan on doing proper editing on you recorded footage. Recorded footage suffer...
Published 16 months ago by WoodlandSpirit

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great results, but like all the capture devices some issues, 26 Mar 2013
Graham Steadman "Quequeg" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avermedia Live HD Gamer (Accessory)
I knew my PC was not powerful enough to run capture programs like FRAPS whilst games were set to the highest quality settings. I did not want to take a hit on my FPS. The Live Gamer HD has been a 100% success in this respect - it has very low CPU usage whilst capturing, and the resulting H264 videos are of good quality and only about 1gb for 10minutes of recording. Recordings can be uploaded direct to YouTube (and even edited in YouTube). I have been able to record an event in a game, alt-tab to the desktop and upload it to YouTube, and then give friends in the game the YouTube link - all within the space of a few minutes!
Note I use NVidia graphics. According to some forum posts, AMD graphics user don't get good results but I have not first hand knowledge of this. Now to some downsides - the HDMI sockets in the card are nowhere near as tight as those found on a TV or Blu-ray player, and even a slight movement of the PC or cables can result in the Live Gamer or monitor not being detected. If you use the straight through path of Video card >to Live Gamer >to Monitor, then this leaves you with no picture! The maximum resolution of the straight through path is 1080p which is the res I use anyway, but no good for those using a higher res monitor. Users of Nvidia 3D Vision also will not want to use the straight through path, as the Live Gamer does not carry the frame-packed 3D it just ends up in a mess. Luckily they do show other ways to wire up the card, and the one that works for me is to use clone mode. I have one connection direct from the video card to the TV - this carries the 3DVision picture correctly, and a 2nd connection from the video card goes to the Live Gamer (and then to TV). This works, but using two of the TV's HDMI inputs and the wiring is a bit messy at the back. I would recommend anyone to search YouTube for videos recorded with the Live Gamer - you can get stunning results, and although many edit them before uploading you don't have to. I have used Windows Live movie maker to edit the files and it works well. Some users report problems with other editing programs as they cause the sound to go out of sync but seems that must be an issue with the software, not the Live Gamer recordings, if it's OK in other programs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but has a few minor downsides, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Avermedia Live HD Gamer (Accessory)
First of all, I'd just like to say that all round, this card is fantastic! There is no other way to put it. The File sizes are tiny compared to that of the competition, they are in glorious 1080p at 30FPS, and the software is just fantastic, as is the streaming abilities and the ease of switching between multiple platforms. Also, THE BUTTON!!!

However, the downsides to this card are as follows:
- Needs to be plugged into a PC via PCIe to work, laptop = No worky worky!
- Software can crash at times, rare however
- No timeshift feature unlike the competition
- Cannot record PS3 unlike competition

Despite that, I'd highly recommend this card over the competition despite a couple of features the Avermedia live Gamer HD misses out on.
If the above doesn't bother you, GET THIS RIGHT NOW!!!

EDIT: So, the first part of this review was done about 2 weeks after I purchased the capture card. I'm now editing it 7 months later to fill in on other details and things i've discovered after long term use;
So Firstly, this card is good, but I have certainly had second thoughts about it. There are some additional downsides to this card which you might not discover until later on (Like me):

- The Sound card/ Sound Passthrough is just awful. Terrible quality and way too quiet. There may be ways around it as others don't seem to have this problem. I'm not sure what exactly though, maybe a GPU problem since I use AMD? I've tried replacing the cable but that hasn't helped. I'll update if i find a working solution.
- The Bitrate isn't as excellent as it makes out. It says 1080p and whilst that is true, it just scrapes that mark
- The software can be annoying at times (crashing on a fairly common basis, not working with twitch half the time)

However, one thing to note is that I bought this capture card when they were still using RECentral 1.0. I downloaded the update recently and it does certainly improve the downsides I listed to a degree but doesn't fully solve every problem i've had with it.

IMPORTANT: If you're planning to record just for Xbox, do not let this throw you off the purchase. This card works absolutely perfectly for consoles! All the problems I have been having are exclusive to PC.

In conclusion, after 7 months, I still think it's a good card but like every card, it could do with some improvements and may not work as well with specific computers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surely one of the best capture card out there if not the best, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Avermedia Live HD Gamer (Accessory)
easy to install, easy to configure a couple of clicks and thanks also to the hot button going live or recording your gameplay is one of the easiest action you'll ever take.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Bit of Kit, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Avermedia Live HD Gamer (Accessory)
This card is ideal for gamers wanting to record and stream their gameplay without the fuss of compressing and encoding raw footage. Also comes with 3 months of free X-split so that was a bonus!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Card., 21 Nov 2012
This review is from: Avermedia Live HD Gamer (Accessory)
A fantastic card, especially for recording Xbox 360 gameplay. If you want to record PC gameplay and have an older or average spec system this card will be great for you too as it doesn't lag your game at all meaning you still get optimal performance!

I would award it 8/10 and definitely recommend it. Even novices to game recording can use this card :)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the few products nowadays which does what it says it will., 22 Jun 2012
This review is from: Avermedia Live HD Gamer (Accessory)
I bought this card primarily for streaming gameplay and it is amazing.

Having waited for a card like this for soo long with onboard encoding I was excited when this finally arrived and soo far, I am not disappointed.

I can stream 1680x1050 gameplay without my FPS being affected AT ALL. The encoder also means you can capture direct to HDD if you want without needing a HUGE HDD to record footage as it is encoded to h.264 on the fly.

Besides my Voodoo 1 3D accelerator card, I rate this as one of my best upgrades.

Avermedia have been quick to release updates as well and thus far, they have supported the product well.

Do I want a second one for my 2nd rig... YES.

Congratulations Avermedia and as a first time AVermedia customer, I will definitely be back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice with some minor faults., 27 Sep 2012
This review is from: Avermedia Live HD Gamer (Accessory)
Delivery was very quick, though i suppose i have Amazon to thank for that.

Setting it up was very easy, just follow the instructions. A PCIe x1 slot is all that is needed. No additional Molex, or 6pin connector needed to provide power.

There are two faults to this product, though not very major: After setting it up, you may encounter some color deterioration and blurry text, but not very much. As of sept. 25 this has not been resolved.

Initially, you will be limited to 60hz. This is no problem if you have a 60hz monitor, however if you have a 120hz monitor like i do, it can be quite an annoyance. Luckily there is a work-around. This work-around is very simple though can be expensive unless you have an additional monitor laying around. What you want to do is hook your primary monitor directly into your graphics card and then have your extra monitor connect to the pass through on the Live Gamer HD via HDMI.

In the NVIdia control panel select "Set up multiple displays" then enable them both (Your monitor and your Avermedia HD). By right clicking on the screen you can make your monitor primary and your Avermedia HD a clone of your monitor.

Now select "Change resolution" and set your monitor to 120hz and the Avermedia HD to 60hz. You are still only limited to record at 1920x1080@60, however by following these steps you are able to play at 120hz and not suffer from screen tearing.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... know what it is but he is more that happy with it, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Avermedia Live HD Gamer (Accessory)
Present for grandson's 18th birthday - we don't even know what it is but he is more that happy with it !! Delivered promptly - would buy from you again if he wants another new fangled gadget that we know nothing about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does its job perfectly!, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Avermedia Live HD Gamer (Accessory)
If you want a capture card for either console or PC, this is perfect! At the hit of the button, you can record straight to the hard drive up to 1080p 30fps or use it to stream using OBS or XSplit. My favourite feature though is because I have a monitor where I have both my PC and PS3 plugged in, I have to switch inputs. With this, I can use RECCentraL (the included software) to watch my gameplay in real time (give or take a few milliseconds of lag) while using my PC input. Perfect for checking the stream and everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little thing., 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Avermedia Live HD Gamer (Accessory)
I was skeptical after reading some bad reviews about this, however that skepticism was soon removed as soon as I put it into my computer, this thing is tiny, takes up no room and is very very easy to set up. the performance is outstanding for the price. it is full 1080p HD and does not affect my in-game fps while i am streaming or recording.

HOWEVER - there are issues with the rec-central software when it comes to streaming, do not use it or you will experience the blue screen of death more often than not aswell as choppy streams and fps loss.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›