5.0 out of 5 stars Good scifi, 28 July 2012
This review is from: The Shield (Kindle Edition)
In a world comming to terms with the aftermath of global war peace, becomes the new way of life. So much so that the military arent trained anymore and all that exist are a small group of individuals trained from birth to be bodyguards to the senators. On a trip to meet a probe that is advertising a meeting with a peaceful race of aliens all goes horibly wrong and the aliens turn out to be an invading force. Faced with a drastic change in philosophy can the survivors follow the first shield and take up arms to fight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!, 8 Oct. 2014
Mazza "book rat" (Gloucester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shield (Kindle Edition)
I could not put this book down. Yes, it could do with editing, but it is a real page turner and full of action without being too technical. Would make an excellent movie! I'm half way through the second book now (Redemption) which is just as good. I can't understand why more people haven't read 'The Shield' or left positive reviews. This is Science Fiction at its best. I hope the author will write more 'Shield' books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alien takeover, 28 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Shield (Kindle Edition)
From the first page I was hooked on this book, the action starts almost from page one and continues with hardly a let up, even when the pace slows a little the author gives you enough background to the political makeup of the Earth at that time, but he does not overload you with loads of detail so you don't get bored or confused, the Shields are highly trained personnel to protect the political leaders, on discovering a probe sending out a peaceful message the head of state and some of his colleagues travel to an outpost to greet this probe in the hope of sending out a message of their own and discover what or who sent this probe, things start to go wrong very quickly, the aliens attack all the outposts simultaneously and Earth as well, I won't go into any more detail as it will spoil the book, just read this book and you will not be disappointed I'm sure, the story does end on a bit of a cliff hanger so you will need to buy the next book? If it continues along these same lines then I will be getting this in the near future, well done and thank you Mr Jones keep up the good work
5 STARS

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story and well written as well, 2 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Shield (Kindle Edition)
Surprised how much I got into this book. Good story and well written as well, looking forward to the next book

4.0 out of 5 stars an interesting premise, 23 April 2013
This review is from: The Shield (Kindle Edition)
This book has an interesting premise. I love the ironic social implications of a group of elite soldiers defending the peaceful ways of a society they can obviously never be part of. Some of the most moving lines of the book come from Grayson (usually just referred to as The Shield) in reference to his role. I have to be honest though, I had a hard time believing humans could ever be so peaceful. It just seems to go against our very nature and, of course, the existence of the Shields speaks to that fact. I'm willing to accept for the sake of fiction, however, that such a society was established in the wake of a devastating world war and as such would be wholly unprepared to face a hostile invading force.

But in the end I simply expected more from the book than I got. It's not that it's short on action. It isn't. The aliens invade and Grayson moves from one problem to the next until the book ends. I don't think the man ever slept. But I kept looking for an underlying moral to the story, or something other than just the day to day travails of one group of people left behind. The closest I could come would be the dangers all encompassing peace or the importance of the military establishment. Neither of which I think were intended messages, which left the book feeling a little hollow to me. All of the soldiering was interesting enough and I really like Grayson, but so what? That really wasn't enough to really grab me. Perhaps the sequel, The Shield: Redemption, will bring it all together.

My main disappointment was the ending. It ends on a cliffhanger, which is another way of saying it doesn't in fact end. There is also no real crescendo. It is well written though. There are a few abrupt changes in POV and I found it a little repetitive. (Each time a new character was introduced we needed to be told what they thought of the Shields, which essentially rehashed the same old same old.) But all-in-all I found it enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Shield (Kindle Edition)
Very good read, well worth the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy It, 23 Jan. 2015
N. Payne "NAP" (Swindon GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shield (Kindle Edition)
Excellent book very good read

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly different., 20 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Shield (Kindle Edition)
Great story line, well delivered with some nice surprises here and there. Will keep you gripped from the beginning to the end.
Peter Jones is a real master with a powerful grasp on story telling.

The Shield