5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!
Published on 8 May 2012 by Book Passion for Life

1.0 out of 5 stars TERRIBLE
I am half way through this book but cannot go on. Without doubt the worst book I have read in the past two years. Kate is annoying and self centred (all the men around her are in love with her - oh please, what rubbish). As a reader I generally need to like at least one of the main characters but, with this book, that just didn't happen.
Published 5 months ago by Jane Stockdale

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!, 8 May 2012
Book Passion for Life (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Preservation (Preservation, #1) (Kindle Edition)
I wasn't even sure whether to take this book on for review, I think I have read a total of 5 contemporary books - The Fifty Shades trilogy, Beautiful Disaster and Playing for keeps - which were all awesome books. I haven't read a bad one I just find it hard to deal with the intense emotions I get from reading them and I don't want to become the Mills & Boons lady like my mother so I tend to stick with my paranormal books so much to my surprise I freaking loved this!!!!

Even though it made me feel like my insides had gone through a blender it was just so good, just the right amount of everything - womanising, friends wanting to be more than friends, jealousy, possessiveness, ambition, love, lies, trust & commitment issues - literally everything and it totally sucked me in and spat out an emotional wreck by the ending. I love a good alpha male and Mr Campbell fit the bill perfectly, he did pee me off a few times and was quite arrogant but that can be excused because we get an insight into where he is coming from at the beginning of the book and that had made me warm to him immediately likewise with Kate, we get a glimpse of her past and why she is carrying her emotional baggage around too and when two people with troubled pasts come together BOOM!!! It's gonna get messy. . . and it did. . . the storyline was good and loved the way it was blended together - I can't really say much without giving everything away and it's killing me because I could rant on and on about this - so, not only was the storyline good, filled with the right amount of angst & emotional turmoil but the pacing was great and the writing of it made it an effortless read. I devoured this book, I think in total it took me 5 hours to read and I hated that I had to go to bed before I finished. Most of you will probably be familiar with Rachael Wade's Resistance Trilogy books (Amaranth & The Gates) and I think this is her first contemporary romance but let me tell you that she does this so well that she would definitely give the likes of Beautiful Disaster a run for their money and I would never have known this was the same author, she has really surpassed herself with this book and I won't be unsure about reviewing any further contemporaries from her that's for sure!

So, to all you Fifty & Travis fans - try this and welcome a brand new book boyfriend to the fold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book *****, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: Preservation (Preservation, #1) (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book from start to finish, great story, I don't want to give to much away but loved how the book ended. Can't wait for the second book, which I believe is from Ryan's point of view. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Romance Book I've Ever Read!!, 8 May 2012
This review is from: Preservation (Preservation, #1) (Kindle Edition)
We've all heard the phrase Love Conquers All. But do we really know what it means to have that kind of love? Some of us are lucky enough to have that kind of love in our lifetime. Some of us will die without ever truly experiencing something so extraordinary. Because it's easy to say "Oh yes, we love each other unconditionally" But do you? Do you really?

Have you ever picked up a book last thing at night, torn between wanting to read for an hour or to go straight to sleep? A word to the wise DO NOT ATTEMPT THAT WITH THIS BOOK. Seriously, I picked this up at 10pm hoping for an hour of reading before bed. Come 2:30am I'm just finished. That's it. Done. Read cover to cover. This book was delicious, I could not put it down. I'm off to bed with tear tracks down my face.
- This was my Goodreads status at 2:30 this morning -

It's true, I picked this book up last night, fully intending to spend an hour reading it and then go to bed. Little did I know just how much I would get sucked in and not spat back out until 2:30am.
I read a lot of books. In fact most days, my head is buried in a book. But most of them have a Paranormal element to them. PRESERVATION was a touch outside of my norm, being that it's Adult Contemporary Romance / Realistic Fiction.
I have to be honest, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Yes, I've been known to read Erotica. Yes, I read Adult Fiction too. But no two books are the same and thank goodness that's so. We wouldn't want to read the same old, same old.
Well let me tell you, PRESERVATION blew me out of the water. It was not your typical romance. Girl meets boy, they fall in love. They have hardships, they overcome them, they live happily ever after. No, this was deeper than that. This explored what happens when a man and woman meet, neither of whom want a relationship yet are inexplicably drawn to each other.

Kate Parker is 25 years old. She's a student. Living in a tiny apartment, working all the hours she can, going to school to improve her craft. She wants to write. But the obstacles in her life mean that nothings ever easy for her. Her mother is ill. Her landlord is threatening to evict her if she can't make the rent.
Kate doesn't want a relationship. She's had it with guys. Plus, juggling all that she is, is there really time for a relationship?

Ryan Campbell is a professor. He had his heart broken by Jamie, his ex fiancée who he caught cheating. So he's going from one casual fling to the next. Getting what he wants from each of them before casting them aside.

Little do they know what is about to happen. What will change their lives and the shape of that to come.

Kate walks into school late. She's ringing wet from the rain and loaded down with bags, having to carry so much to school with her really isn't any fun. But it's all she can do. She does her lessons on a Monday and then goes for a swim. It's her way of de-stressing. So many things are difficult for Kate that this is one of the simple pleasures she enjoys while she can.
Ryan's not at all happy that Kate is always late to his class. Also she's making puddles all over the floor and banging about with that god forsaken bag of hers. A distraction, that's what she is.
So we have Kate, the beautiful, distracting student. Then there's Ryan, the hot professor who's known for his commitment-phobia.
It's the start of the emotional roller coaster of a journey that has you hurtling towards the ground at breakneck speed - not knowing for sure what the outcome will be.

I can't tell you all the trials and tribulations that Kate and Ryan are about to face. There'd be no point you picking it up for yourself if I sat her and gave you plot points.

What I can tell you, is this:

There is some inexplicable reason why Kate and Ryan are drawn to each other. It's not a straight forward relationship by any means. There's the good, the bad and the downright ugly. There are tender moments that have you feeling good but there are also moments that are more like a punch to your gut. Things that take the wind right out of your sails.

They say nothing easy is worth having and nothing worth having is ever easy. Ad Astra Per Aspera - A Rough Road Leads to The Stars.

In this instance, nothing could be more true.

There were moments during this story that I laughed out loud. Then there were the times that I cried. Plus a few occasions where I wanted to reach into the book and cause physical harm to both Kate and Ryan. Sometimes I wanted to slap Kate and shake some sense into the girl. But the one truly bad moment, I wanted to reach in and punch Ryan in the face. Not just the face, but you get my point.

I truly didn't expect this book to affect me in the way it did. There are very few books that evoke such an emotional reaction from me.

I know in Kate's position, a lot of women would probably just give up and walk away from Ryan. At first, I thought I would be one of those. But I found myself drawn to him. I knew from the prologue that he'd had his heart broken in one of the worst ways. So I knew that under the façade he presents to the outside world, there was a vulnerable guy. But that doesn't give him a free ticket to do whatever he damn well pleases. Which at times, he thinks it does.
Whilst this is all true, I do actually like him despite his foibles. Plus the fact is, there's times when it's not just him that's in the wrong.

I finished this book with tears racing each other down my cheeks and laughing out loud at the same time. This is most certainly one of my favourite books. Of that you can be sure.

I love the way Rachael Wade writes. Having read her other books, The Resistance Trilogy, I knew that I liked her writing. One of the things I like most about her is her ability to make you feel like you could be the main character. You're not just an outsider looking in. You're drawn into the story and not spat back out until she says so.
For me, the best feeling is that of realism. This story isn't a fantasy. An idea of what life could be, if only... No this is a story about love, pain, loss and betrayal. Yes, it's just a story. But you are in no doubt that these things really can happen.

1.0 out of 5 stars TERRIBLE, 11 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Preservation (Preservation, #1) (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed this immensely, the story is well written and flows just as it should. It doesn't leave you thinking how did they get to there.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, 24 Nov 2013
*ARC Given for honest review by Net Gallery*

I would rate this book 4.5, I enjoyed it but I also wanted to stop reading it too. Let me start with Ryan, he was so hot and cold throughout the book that in the end I just wanted them to be over. I got that he loved her and was afraid to love in case they betrayed him again, and I get her hesitance as well, but it was like whenever anything got good between them the other would ruin it.

I was glad in the end they got back together, but what he did to her so he could get his book published, that wasn't fair and I felt she forgave him too quickly.

But other then the messed up relationship between the two main characters I did enjoy this and found myself wondering what would happen. Looking forward to reading the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Preservation by Rachael Wade, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: Preservation (Preservation, #1) (Kindle Edition)
Preservation is all about a girl called Kate, she's been dealt a hard hand in life and is doing the best she can to meet ends meet. One of her professors is Mr. Campbell, he is arrogant, cocky and calls her out in front of the entire class. She is angry, furious but can't help notice how he looks and she likes. When he takes over a writing workshop she attends, he seems different and genuinely interested in her work, but then Kate hears about his playboy ways and see's the parade of girls around campus that he's had. What will happen between Kate and Ryan? What will her best friends Carter and Dean have to say about a new man in her life? Will Kate and Ryan help each over overcome their problems or break them down and make it worse?

I really enjoyed this book, it's a nice romance with lots of feel good aspects thrown in. You find yourself more invested in the story than you thought you'd be and really rooting for some of the characters. It's a great book to read when you don't want to figure out loads of complicated story plots and just want to read a great story. I really liked Kate as a character, i felt like i could relate to her stubbornness in some aspects of her life, i also liked Ryan, i thought alot of his character was explained as to why he is the way he is. Also Carter and Dean were great secondary characters and they seemed like such great friends to Kate. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and would definitely recommend to anyone who wants to sit down with a nice romance book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good first book, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Preservation (Preservation, #1) (Kindle Edition)
Good story of how a student falls hopelessly in love with her tutor. Her life takes a very different path than first anticipated. Good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars of must-read romance!, 1 May 2013
Reviewer: Bex
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Fairies

Preservation by Rachael Wade has been sitting patiently in my tbr pile on my kindle for approximately a year. Yes I could kick myself for waiting so long. It was a thorough good, entertaining and drama filled read.

The main character Kate, was very easy to follow and like. The author has created a very real character with her protagonist. Kate has a fair amount of baggage that she carries around with her, causing a whole heap of dramatic and tension filled fireworks when Ryan enters her life.

The story made me smile and laugh, especially with Kate's interaction of her two male sidekicks. They were such endearing and fantastic characters. On the flipside, I was completely pulled into Kate and Ryan's story. There were several moments that completely floored me - a credit to the fabulous piece of writing by Rachael Wade.

A must read for sure if you're looking for contemporary romance with edgy characters and a fresh plot.

Disclosure: This was a purchased and personal read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Ordinary, 25 Mar 2013
Charlee Bravo (Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Preservation (Preservation, #1) (Kindle Edition)
I do like these 'ordinary life' stories. I have tired of reading about good looking millionaires with red rooms of pain and huge wedding tackle!

Preservation is a fine example of down-to-earth, ordinary lives.

Looking forward to the next books in the series.

Preservation (Preservation, #1)