5.0 out of 5 stars potatoes not prozac
this book is absolutely fantastic
full of eyeopening useful information and explains so much
this info should be available on a much wider scale
i suffered for years with these symptoms beating my self up and feeling a failure
i just wish my doctor knew about this, then i would have made my recovery so much sooner
Published on 8 Jan 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Sticking with a diet is always a "high."
Odd as it seems, just the fact that one is taking control of eating is uplifting. But a person who is truly depressed, and not just unhappy about body image issues, would not be helped by the book. I hope someone who really needs an SSRI does not try to substitute a diet program and delay real help.
Published on 25 Aug 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars potatoes not prozac, 8 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Potatoes Not Prozac (Paperback)
this book is absolutely fantastic
full of eyeopening useful information and explains so much
this info should be available on a much wider scale

5.0 out of 5 stars You CAN cure psoriasis and insomnia with diet., 3 Mar 2008
I read Kathleen Des Maisons first edition of PnP two years ago when I was looking for help with lethargy and mild depression. The book had been given to me by a friend some time before and I had sighed and added it to my already groaning bookshelves full of self help tomes.

I had also just been diagnosed with reactive psoriasis on my hands, feet, knees and elbows and told by two different consultants that diet alone could not help and cortisone creams were the only way forward. An alternative practitioner suggested that candida related problems were often at the root of psoriasis so, looking for a way to get my sweet tooth under control I picked up the book again.

I felt a bit daunted when I realized that eliminating sugar might be necessary but the first chapters of the book were describing my life so I began the first step out of desperation and with rather a lot of scepticism.

After only a couple of weeks on the first steps of the program I found I was sleeping through the night for the first time in about twelve years and much to my astonishment the psoriasis on my feet and knees began to clear. Although my hands were still very cracked the fissures were nowhere near as deep and no longer bleeding and my elbows also improved.

The science in this new edition hasn't fundamentally changed but Dr. Des Maisons has developed her self help program and her website and uses a lot of her ever expanding experience to make this new work even easier to follow and read.

Two years down the line my hands are also clear and any small sign of soreness usually means I have slipped a bit on the program. I find it surprisingly easy to follow and the cumulative effect of feeling so much better and losing my desire to binge on sugary foods has kept me on track.

As an added bonus I am clearer headed and more energetic at 58 than I was at 28 !

5.0 out of 5 stars The answers you never knew existed, 13 Aug 2001
This review is from: Potatoes Not Prozac (Paperback)
After reading Potatoes not Prozac I feel as if I have gained answers to questions I dared not ask. If, like me you are constantly tempted by sweet or starchy foods or are prone to binging you too could be sugar sensitive. Don't be put off by the title - this book is extremely informative while not trying to force certain diet regimes onto you. It simply gives you the facts and a guide of how to change your eating habits accordingly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Remarkable Life Changing Book, 3 Mar 2008
This book offers ground breaking advice for dealing with depression. Kathleen Des Maisons talks us through the background of the brain chemistry which sets us up for depression. She then thoroughly explains her 7 step eating plan, designed to heal the underlying causes of depression, food cravings and weight gain. The book is well written, and contains many testimonials from people doing the programme in the UK and Europe. The food programme is inexpensive and all natural, and there is online support through the radiantrecovery website.

If you have tried everything else to no avail, you will be pleasantly surprised that this may well be the last book you ever need concerning this issue. What a relief to stop searching and finally find the answers we need.

If you are ready to join the growing number of people who are experiencing freedom from depression, this book will help you achieve that goal.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book really did change my life, 10 Jan 2011
A. P. Crawshaw "peatfingers" (Halifax, UK) - See all my reviews
I picked up this book and on the cover it said "This book will change your life." Where had I heard that one before? I began to read it, usually whilst in bed eating biscuits. I found it completely absorbing, I had never come across anything like it. My terrible addiction to chocolate and sugary food all started to make sense. I started on the steps and I was able to eventually eat healthily and give up sugar. My emotional state was completley changed and I lost two stone in weight without really trying. Although it hasn't all been plain sailing five years later I am still able to eat food that is right for my body. If you have an addiction to sugary food i would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars potatoes not prozac, 22 July 2008
this is the best book and the very best advice you will ever read if you are struggling to lose weight and even worse struggling to face the day, follow every step and you will never look back. This book saved my life!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than...A Self Help Book, 25 Jan 2008
Ms. M. Mc Clure "melpomene" (London UK) - See all my reviews
My bookshelf was groaning with self help books, I'd read them all. I'd stopped drinking alcohol & had been in therapy for over two years. So why did I still feel depressed, a failure, less than?

Reading the 1999 version of 'Potatoes not Prozac' was like coming home. 'This woman knows me' I thought! It was unbelievable to read of my feelings & behaviours on every page, & none of it was my fault.

Dr des Maisons explains the biochemistry of sugar sensitivity in accessible terms. She outlines a framework of six simple steps to recovery. Immediately there is a message of hope, & better still it works!

Two years since I discovered this book, the new edition has a lot to add. Fully updated to include all the pertinent research breakthroughs of the past ten years, it incorporates the lived experience of thousands of people like me whose lives have been transformed.

Dr des Maisons is in a class of her own when it comes to self help gurus. She has no agenda, just a wealth of experience in the field of addictive nutrition, & a gift for communicating what she knows effectively & lovingly.

Where else do you find an invitation to an online community at the back of a book? I checked it out to discover a hugely vibrant resource offering all the support & encouragement anyone could want. This is a lifes work not a rip off or a well intentioned dabbling in plagiarised wishful thinking. As I said I have all the other books too!

As for me? My life is unrecognisable from two years ago. I had been waiting to die, trapped & full of shame at my patheticness & lack of willpower. Within six months I had left depression behind, & now I have friends, a job, a life.

There is a way out! I hope you can join me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you willing to give it a go?, 8 Jan 2008
Sparkles (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
Once in a generation somebody has an idea so radical that it offers hope to millions. A little over a year ago I used to binge for Britain, I was depressed, had low self esteem and could barely drag myself through the day.

I have started this year with a new found confidence and exhuberance for life. Happy is my default setting and I bound out of bed in the mornings looking forward to the day ahead. In short, my life has changed completely. I don't even remember the last time I binged - and that is huge for me.

This book which has been totally updated is to thank for this turn around. Dr DesMaisons has a wonderfully easy to read writing style. There is just the right amount of real-life cases and science to keep you interested from beginning to end.

The food program itself is purely holistic using real, inexpensive foods. Anyone can do it, it's not down to willpower - it's the biochemistry of our bodies.

But this is not just my story - there are thousands of people around the world who have felt the benefits from this program. The question is, are you willing to give it a go?

4.0 out of 5 stars Do you like sweet things?, 8 Feb 2011
Although the title implies it is all about depression (and this is covered) the book is actually about sugar addiction and how this can affect those predisposed to it and how it can lead to alcohol and drug addiction (and how an awareness of it can help recovery from these addictions).
The author experienced addiction first hand, her father dying of alcoholism whilst she was in her teens, and herself a sugar addict. She has worked with and carried out research on alcoholics and drug addicts at the treatment centre where she works. Dr DesMaisons claims that her dietary plan helped 92% of addicts (repeat offending drink drivers) to remain off addictions, compared to the more usual 25% with conventional methods.
The book helps you to identify if you are sugar sensitive and what that could mean for you including...
* Addiction
* Cravings
* Inexplicable tiredness
* Feeling overwhelmed
* Difficulties with anger, sleep , concentration
It delves into the scientific link between sugar sensitivity and the brain chemicals serotonin and beta-endorphin which affect moods and energy levels. The author explains that these symptoms can be caused by a chemical imbalance, and that the good news is for the sugar sensitive life changing improvements can be made by simple diet changes.
There is a chapter called "It's not your fault" which could help take away some of the guilt felt by effects on others.
For those not so into the science the author says you could skip those bits and move straight to the plan.
The plan involves a seven step process tailor-made by users to fit their body and lifestyles. This includes keeping a food journal of what you eat and when; some dietary changes such as a high protein diet (she gives scientific reasons for how this affects your brain chemistry), vitamin supplements similar to those used by recovering addicts, eating regularly, exercise, meditation or prayer, laughter,...and an evening potato!

4.0 out of 5 stars practical help in taking control of your body, 16 Mar 2000
I bought this book because I suffered from chronic tiredness at different times of the day and it was becoming a real problem. I just couldn't function by early afternoon. After following the seven steps in this interesting book, I healed myself of the highs and lows in my blood sugar level and found vitality again. It has made a real difference to me.