4.0 out of 5 stars simple to use and tasty drinks
The dolce gusto machines and accompanying pods are a great coffee/beverage system.
I previously had the Krups Dolce Gusto machine where you manually dispense the water so it was with great interest I tried this one made by De'Longhi which automatically dispenses the correct amount with a digital interface.

Firstly, as with the manual machine you get the...
Published 19 months ago by Andrew

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Quality Coffee
Makes better hot chocolate than coffee. Tried a few different pods and they are not up to Tassimo standards.
Published 22 days ago by J Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars simple to use and tasty drinks, 29 Dec 2012
Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto EDG625.B Melody 3 Play & Select Coffee and Beverage Machine EDG625.B by De'Longhi - Black, (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Firstly, as with the manual machine you get the unit, a tray for discarded pods and a sample box of pods. The sample box of pods I feel could be a bit more generous but hey ho.

The machine itself is very well built and is a doddle to setup. The instructions aren't the best but suffice. Commissioning the unit is a simple case of fill the water tank and running through some hot and cold water.

Where this unit shines over it's manual versions is the digital dispenser. Each pod has a a small picture of a couple of bars on it. You insert the pod, select the appropriate number of bars on the unit using the selector wheel and press go. It dispenses the exact amount required then stops. Tremendous. You end up with a beverage with no guess work, but the exact amount of drink with the exact amount of water used. This can be overridden so you can run the coffee/milk whatever for less or more water to suit your taste.

The machine itself looks stylish and not out of place in a kitchen and is nice and compact.

The system of pods is simplicity itself with a large number of drinks available, more so online at the dolce gusto webshop. And I think this simplicity means you will find yourself using more than say a complicated machine which requires more interaction, maintenance and cleaning.

Pods themselves are roughly £3.75 a pack. Cappuccino packs you get 16 pods, but 8 milk and 8 coffee so you can only make 8 drinks. Some might find this expensive but at roughly 42pence a cup for a great tasting coffee or hot chocolate or what not I think it is very reasonable.

Make sure to let the pods drain in the supplied little bin for pods so that excess water ends up there rather than pooled at the bottom of your bin.

Overall a very nice machine, that is simplicity itself to use with a wide variety of drinks available

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect.....but I love it!, 28 Nov 2012
mandynolan "mandynolan" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
UPDATE DECEMBER 2013:
THIS MACHINE HAS BEEN BRILLIANT FOR OVER A YEAR NOW....THEN IT STOPPED...SO I PHONED THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICES WHO WERE BRILLIANT AND THEY EXPLAINED OVER THE PHONE THAT IT WASN'T BROKEN...JUST NEEDED DESCALING!SO IT CONTINUES TO BE EXCELLENT..... AS ARE DOLCE GUSTO CUSTOMER SERVICES....
ORIGINAL REVIEW NOVEMBER 2012:
The Dolce Gusto coffee machine is an excellent pod coffee maker.It is easy to use and I have enjoyed every type of drink that I have had from it so far ....it is easy to set up, easy to use and makes a good cup of coffee....Its not perfect but it is easy to use....

So lets look at the Pros and Cons.... and then you can decide if you want one!

PROS
1. Easy to set up
2. Easy to use...fill with water, switch on until the switch is green,put in a pod, put the cup under,choose the water level(as indicated on the pod)pull down the lever and press the water button...and about 20 seconds later a cup of coffee....So Easy!
3.You can make many different types of coffee one after the other
4.Stylish machine
5.I don't think that the machine is too big.
6.Loads of types of coffee both hot and cold.
7.The chococino is lovely....creamy hot chocolate....
8.Comes with some pods in different flavours to try out.
9.I will and have actually been using this, whereas, I don't really use my expensive "real" coffee machine....

CONS
1. The water holder feels a bit too plasticky...
2. The container for used pods doesn't seem to be the right shape to me.
3. The instructions that come with it are rubbish....I used my iPhone to scan the QR code on the front of the instructions and the ones I downloaded were much better, easy to use and made sense!
4. The pods are expensive...but I think you would know that these machines are not economical...but I think the price is ok for what you get....
5.Its not fresh coffee like a "real" coffee machine....but I have one of them and I am too lazy to use it..
6. There is a lot of waste...the pods are just thrown away after use....
7. I think you can only use Nescafe pods...although check out some ways around this on YouTube!
8. Its not boiling hot for the smaller drinks ( although, it is good enough)....although the taller ones i.e. Americano are hot....

Overall, I love it....It makes good coffee, in my opinion, and there are loads of varieties....I love the chococino but the Americano is good for a large, hot cup of coffee and I have found the skinny Latte and skinny cappuccino to be a good size and to be really tasty!
So, if you want an easy to use pod machine I would recommend it.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee, 2 Jan 2014
I was sceptical about these type of coffee machines, but couldn't have been more wrong!

A fast, easy, and clean way to make great tasting coffee - nothing like the taste of instant!

Four stars as the largest coffee just comes up short of a normal size cup and the pods can be expensive (especially for the latte etc which require 2) but still much cheaper than a coffee shop!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent machine for good "lazy" coffee, 2 Dec 2012
Darren Simons (Middlesex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have always been a fan of coffee machines but have preferred the manual type where you have to ground the cofffee yourself and figure out how to add frothy milk for a cappuccino etc. (ie. the way coffee shops do it). Having used Nespresso in the past I was interested to see how this compared as an alternative in the pod world. Just to explain the difference here:
- in "real" coffee machines you either have a section for beans / ground coffee, or you have to load the coffee holder with the right amount of coffee for the drink you are about to make (in the beans mode the machine does it for you to the tune of coffee grinding). Although it means you can choose the exact flavour or mix of coffee you like it can be messy and is time consuming / fiddly. You then add water for an americano, frothy milk for a cappuccino etc, but it does mean you can really make the coffee how you like it. Most weekend mornings this is what I end up doing and I'm yet to find a better coffee.
- nespresso machines are pod coffee machines targeted at the so-called coffee connoisseur with masses of different pods providing different flavours, strength - you can choose how big the coffee will be, but anything after that is something you have to sort out... cappuccino/americano/latte variations all need doing separately. The pods are proprietary and expensive.
- the Dulce Gusto system is like nespresso in that it's all about proprietary pods again, but rather than just coffee pods, there's pods for latte and cappuccino. This means by putting the appropriate pods in combination into your cup you get a huge range of coffees.

For me, I don't really like nespresso as I feel I can make a nice enough coffee myself (I only drink espresso or americano) without the need for overpriced pods which produces a drink that's too small (for an americano). However, the Dulce Gusto system which includes the milk substitute does provide something a little bit different, especially good when there are visitors who would like a coffee.

In terms of design, this machine is quite glossy and rounded, and looks nice in the kitchen - it consists of a ball-like section on the top where the pod goes and the controls reside, and a second ball-like section which is the reservoir for the water needed for the coffee. It's easy to over-fill and I think aesthetics has taken priority over function but it doesn't really matter. The controls consist of power, a lever for locking the pod in, a drawer to put the pod in, buttons to start the machine (hot or cold) and a control which works like a volume control to tell the machine how much water you want added.

It works pretty simply - put the pod into the tray, close the tray, pull the lever down to lock it in, choose the amount of water (the pod tells you how much water is needed) and press hot or cold water. The cup base is movable so that you put it higher for a smaller espresso cup if you want. A green light on the side tells you when the water's hot. There's an overly designed pod bin where you put the used pods, but since they can't be recycled anyway you might as well just put it in the bin.

In terms of results I was actually pleasantly surprised. The espresso came out quite nice, although not as good as I've had from the manual one. The crema (foam on top of the espresso) was nice and thick and the taste was good. I didn't think it came out that hot but that may be due to me getting used to them being too hot. Where I was more surprised was the cappuccino. In this case, you put in a pod for "cappuccino" which is basically powdered milk and sugar and set the water volume high. Once that's passed through, you put an espresso pod in and do that with a small water volume. The result although very sweet was actually quite nice.

Overall, it depends what you want - for me, I prefer the manual machine where I can make a nice big cup of strong coffee how I like it. However, for those who really don't want to fiddle about with a coffee machine to get a nice cuppa (my wife being a good example) this is a very good compromise. There's lots of different coffee options, it's easy to use, fairly clean (although you need to clean the base which comes away), and tastes good. If you don't like powdered milk and object to the price of the pods (some of the coffees offered need 3 pods each so it can get expensive) then this may not be for you, but otherwise it's a more versatile coffee system than a nespresso.

One other thing... the instructions are all in diagram form and pretty useless - if you can't figure it out, the website provides some more useful info.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely convenient coffee, 10 Feb 2014
For what I and the family needs it's great - and the range of drink "treats" is pretty good and varied. There is "something" about the ilk that isn't quite right, but then again when has a machine coffee ever been 100% accurate? I am used to it now. The machine is used once or twice a day at least: Much nicer than instant granule coffee.

Put it into perspective - it's and £80 device dispensing 40p to 80p drinks. And it does that most excellently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Veil lent service, 30 Jan 2014
Good service item arrived next day. Impressed with this coffee machine. Love the different coffees I've brought extra coffees in bulk from Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my new toy!, 28 Jan 2014
I bought this as my brother had one and I really liked it. Was an excellent price and I love the drinks it makes. It is so easy to use and looks very stylish. We bought the manual, smaller version first but with this automatic one it takes all the guess work out of quantities as it does it for you! I would definitely recommend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 28 Mar 2013
Makes impressive coffee, with ease, and its instant, no waiting for the kettle to boil.
I own a coffee shop with top of the range barista equipment! I find this little machine great for home use,
I love this machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bye bye Tassimo, I'm in love with a new machine!, 4 Mar 2013
I bought a Tassimo machine a little over 2yrs ago and just outside of the 1yr warranty it broke down so I immediately bought another. By then I had found just 2 flavours I enjoyed of their range. Oh how I wish when it broke that I had bought a dolce gusto machine instead. Alas, it is only very recently I have made the switch.
Why did I switch? I am a fan of milkier type coffees, the lattes especially. Espressos are not my thing, nor is any strong, bitter coffee so seeing that the dolce gusto range had for more milkier and latte type flavours, especially the vanilla latte I decided to make the change. Also Tassimo had been out of stock for a couple of MONTHS of my favourites and that clinched the decision. This machine was also less expensive than a Tassimo one.

I tried the skinny latte first, one of the free pods that came with the machine. Literally on the very first sip I took, I realised what a major improvement this range of coffee is to Tassimo ones. It tasted like a proper coffee shop coffee. It also had a wonderful thick mouth-feel from the mass amount of froth. Tassimo coffees tend to be far too strong and bitter, even the lattes, so much so I had to add a substantial amount of hot water to them to water it down. It was not necessary to do this with these dolce gusto pods. Tassimo lattes also have far less froth.
I've since tried the Americano and the Lungo (I added milk) and all have been excellent, I look forward to my huge delivery of pods from the dolce gusto website this week so I can try every single one. I'm sure they will be just as delicious! If you're thinking of changing from a Tassimo to something else or making your first purchase of a coffee pod machine, no need to hesitate, get this!

The machine itself is a little smaller and looks so much nicer than my old Tassimo machine which looks dated next to it (still finishing up a few of the pods I have left but tempted to not bother now I have the far superior dolce gusto!). You simply look at the lid of the pods to see what level you need to set the machine, press the hot button for hot water and away it goes and within seconds you have a lovely tasting coffee to perk you up. My tassimo was slightly more intelligent, it read the barcode on the pods so you didn't have to adjust anything on the machine unless you wanted more or less water then you had to hold down a button or press it to stop the flow. The tassimo was also a pain in the bum with its red descaling light coming on every 6wks even though only two cups a day were prepared and you HAD to do it immediately or you can damage the machine. Descaling also took the best part of an hour and a half faffing about; this dolce gusto seems to be a little easier. The tank on this one is also much easier to clean than my tassimo, the tassimo had an enclosed `float' inside in quite a large enclosure compared to this one and if any crud built up in there you couldn't reach it, I had to buy a new tank three times. It also required the extra expense of needing a Brita water filter. I live in a very hard water area so the dolce gusto without a filter is a little worrying.

I'd love to see a few more pod choices such as an Irish cream coffee and being able to buy separate milk pods would be nice. Unlike Tassimo you can't get them for this system, although you may be lucky to find some on ebay. Milk pods for the coffees pods that come without it would be handy as it's not easy for me to have a supply of fresh milk on hand where I keep and use my coffee machine (not in a kitchen!)

Like my Tassimo the water that comes out is not boiling hot. This seems to be the case no matter which machine/system you plump for. So you pretty much have to start drinking your coffee as soon as you've made it. I would prefer it to be a little hotter, although some types of coffees seem to be a bit hotter than others. It's not a major problem though.

These coffees also seem to have a lower amount of caffeine in them than Tassimo. Tassimo coffees all had 135mg of caffeine per coffee pod which is a plus for me as I have a condition which my specialist told me I have to try and hit 500mg of caffeine per day from coffee and chocolate to help my symptoms (A doctor `prescribing' coffee and chocolate, what a very nice man!). These dolce gusto ones from what I have found out are around 50-65mg per coffee pod. Oh well, drinking more of these is certainly no hardship, they taste fantastic!

I am so happy I switched to this and also very excited to try every pod they offer. I have a feeling I'll be drinking far more coffee now with this one than with my Tassimo! I've even stocked up on flavoured coffee syrups and new glass mugs/latte mugs to go with my new system, I'm that thrilled with it. Buy one, you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy with no fuss., 14 Dec 2012
Ok, so I have had this machine over a week.
I don't know why there are so many other negative reviews.

The Dolce Gusto does everything it says it does! It happens easily, it happens quickly, it happens just like that.
The pods come with a designated water measure display, so the pod says use 1 bar, it is recommended, you use 1 bar. However, there are some instances that you may like to top your cup up a bit. At the end of the day, if you want it a little fuller, just press the red button, it produces a bit of hot water, at the end of the day, you would put more hot water in to your cup of tea if you wanted more, it just adds water.
E.g. I love the chocochino, it suggests 3 bars milk and 3 bars chocolate. This produces about 200ml of chocolate. However, a normal mug that you may have in your cupboard really requires 4 and 4. I have been more impressed with the fact that it is so easy to adjust to your own specifications. The milk doesn't taste powdered unless you are really that fussy, DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE!

People have written reviews saying that the water container is hard to fill and replace. There is only one reason for this. That would be if you overfill the water container and this just takes common sense! Its not hard to see that you wouldn't overfill the tank if you were sensible. There is a line (albeit, it is a subtle one) around the tank, that you wouldn't fill it above.

I'm just saying, its a great machine and the people that gave it 1 or 2 stars shouldn't have bought one! People say its an expensive way to have a coffee, surely, you would do your research in to a machine and the price of the refills before you bought it! It doesn't take a lot to find the cartridge price and say oh, well, I could buy a jar of coffee for that and it will last me a year, well, this machine isn't designed for a user who only uses a jar of coffee per year, its for the user who buys 6 jars a year.

It is a great machine, really flexible and easy to clean. I love the different flavours that are available and I will be getting the subscription for more cartridges as 48 have lasted a family of 3 just over a week.

Remember, use your loaf! If you don't have common sense or you don't know how to use a calculator to work out the size of your cup, don't buy this.
The Dolce Gusto is a fantastic machine.