Customer Video Review     Length:: 7:00 Mins
Published 19 months ago by Chris Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars A good coffee machine but a bit faffy!
I have wanted to try these coffee machines for a long time but I was always put off by the cost of the machine plus the cost of the pods to put in them. I was delighted to be able to have one via vine.

Published 19 months ago by C. Rucroft

5.0 out of 5 stars Great coffeee that's quick and easy to make - just a little pricey for everyday use!, 2 Dec 2012
Chris Hall "DLS Reviews" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Melody 3 by De'Longhi EDG420.B Coffee and Beverage Machine - Black (Kitchen & Home)
Length:: 7:00 Mins

The Nescafé Dolce Gusto Melody 3 is a coffee machine that utilises Dolce Gusto capsules (or 'pods' as they're often called) to make a range of different coffees and hot chocolates. The functional design behind the machine is relatively simple. It heats up the water (or cools it down if it's for a cold drink) and then passes the water through the opened pod capsule to produce the desired drink.

The first point that really needs to be made is how the coffee machine is so incredibly easy to use. Simply fill up the tank at the rear of the machine, insert a pod capsule, switch it to 'hot' or 'cold' and away you go. The machine takes around a minute to heat up from having not been used recently. However, once heated up, it's ready to make drinks pretty much immediately for a good ten to twenty minutes after your first beverage. This is very handy when making multiple drinks.

The actual process of making the various drinks is very quick. If it's just an espresso that you're after then you'll have it poured in less than twenty seconds (and if you're anything like me then drunk in less than thirty!). For other drinks (such as a Latte Macchiato or a Cappuccino) you need to use multiple pods to make the beverage (i.e. the 'coffee' pod and a special 'milk' pod). This will add to the preparation time a little - but nothing to really get bothered about.

When in use (i.e. when actually pouring the drink) the coffee machine is particularly loud. Like when you're in a coffee shop, it buzzes like there's no tomorrow - really churning the boiling hot water through your little coffee pod. So if you plan to make yourself a snazzy little beverage whilst in the same room as a sleeping baby - think again.

What is quite surprising about the Dolce Gusto machine is that it doesn't actually warn you when to stop the water. So you need to watch the coffee coming out of the machine like a hawk - until you think it's finished (the coffee will start to go from dark brown in colour to clear).

So, on to the all-important question - what was the coffee like? Well, I'm no connoisseur of coffees. I order Americano's in coffee shops when we go there. I also like my coffee strong and full of flavour. However, my wife likes all those fancy coffees you see listed up on coffee shop menus. And to be fair - both of us have absolutely loved the results from this stylish little coffee machine.

Along with the machine you also get a little drip-dry pod bin for your empty pod capsules as well as a small taster set that allows you to make 1x Latte Macchiato, 1x Cappuccino and 1x Espresso. You also have a voucher for a further ten pounds worth of pods from the Dolce Gusto website. Not bad eh?

After having used the machine for a good couple of weeks now, we are very pleased with its overall performance. It does make great coffee, and it's so quick and simple to use - with hardly any cleaning required. However, the pod capsules themselves are quite pricey, and so it's probably worth checking out the various prices involved before purchasing the machine.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good coffee machine but a bit faffy!, 22 Nov 2012
C. Rucroft "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The machine arrived in a shiny box and was well packaged. It came with six pods to try, which was a nice touch. I am a real technophobe and managed to successfully set this up, which basically involves running some hot water through it. I must say though the instructions that come with it are absolutely useless.

Basically, you fill the 'tank' with water, turn on until the light goes green, lift the flap with nescafe dolce gusto on it, insert your 'pod' and flip the switch. Now, it is up to you to decide when to turn this off. It's not a case of flip it on and the machine will stop it. It doesn't. On the one hand this is a good thing as you can decide how strong you want something but it is very faffy. It's not exactly how I imagined it would work to be honest. I didn't think I would have to stand there deciding how much I wanted.

On this point, if you are making a latte or a hot chocolate, this requires two pods and it gives you an indication of how much of each you should use. For example, the hot chocolate (or choccochino) needs 100ml of the hot chocolate and 110ml of the milk. This is up to you to decide. Unless you use a measuring jug, which sort of defeats the point in my opinion, it really is a guess. Plus, as you can tell if you can add two munbers together, this makes a smaller than average cup. Yes you could use two pods but this would make, for me, quite an expensive beverage.

The pods themselves are easy enough to use. My main gripe with them is when you have to remove them from the machine. They drip so it is necessary to hold a tea towel underneath, which is not the luxury illusion of coffee making that I had in mind! And if you are making a drink that needs two pods, your drink is going cold while you are changing round the pods.

Something else I really don't see the point of is the black box that comes with it. I presume it is for when you are cleaning to put the water into but surely you could just use a cup or bowl?

The machine does have it's good points though. It makes lovely drinks that, to my mind, are plenty hot enough. The water comes out steaming! The 'tank' is big enough for two drinks which is perfect. I would always tip the water out after use anyway and fill it with fresh next time. It just adds a bit of luxury after dinner or at Christmas.

We do like this coffee machine but it doesn't come without it's faults. It's not something we would use everyday due to convenience and cost but I can see us using it once a week or so.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but flawed, 4 Mar 2014
Firstly, the pods are not cheap for this thing but it does make very nice coffee. However, the drawback is that the water quantity is decided by guesswork and if you use too much or too little, the drink doesn't taste right. This is especially true for the hot chocolate. When you get the right amount of milk and the right amount of chocolate, its very nice hot chocolate, but put too much water in, and the result is watered down chocolate that tastes awful. If they could put a man on the moon in 1969, surely they can make a coffee machine that dispenses just the right amount of hot water in a mug? Nice, when you get it right, but expensive if you get it wrong as the pods are expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best coffee maker, 24 May 2013
Bought to replace my old coffie maker - a very well known brand, after the coffee discs exploded in it a couple of times! This one makes much better coffee, wide selection of flavours - online shop is good value and has all the flavours.
No exploding pods with this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars great machine, 22 May 2013
I would buy this machine all over again. Coffee taste great and so easy to use and to keep clean. No problems so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars posh coffee at home, 14 May 2013
totally in love with this. kids love it too.makes delicious hot chocolate and i love the Latte's. Every home should have one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the Pod People, 17 Dec 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Did you know that there was once a time before coffee? Now that you know, forget it immediately. A world without coffee is like a world without air; except rather than everyone dying of asphyxiation, people are a bit more tired. I for one love my coffee and drink it by the cup load and here lies one of the issues with the `NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Melody'; the cost of keeping up my coffee habit with this machine is just a little too much. The machine is easy to set up (I managed to do so even after throwing out the instructions by mistake). Once you have filled the reservoir and placed the pod/pods in the machine it is coffee away matey. For me, the drinks I have tried are a little flimsy, I do prefer my coffee almost Espresso strength. Thankfully, you can order stronger blends.

It is purchasing of these pods that is a little annoying. The market in terms of what to buy is closed as you must get `Nescafe' pods, but at least you can shop around for these. I am used to filling a tank of coffee for about £1; the pod equivalent to this would be nearer £4. There is a benefit that you can use the `Melody' for so many types of hot drink - I am usually stuck with the black coffee or the exotic café con leche.

Overall, `Melody' is a balancing act; do you want diversity in taste or financial sense? If you have a little time and space for a luxury coffee maker then the `Melody' is a good purchase; poorer folk may be better sticking to their filter or ground coffee until after the Quadruple Dip Recession ends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Costa Latte anyone?, 20 Dec 2012
foxcylady - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
On cold dark nights when the kids need timeout and you need that coffee there is nothing nicer than popping into the local high street coffee shop for maybe a naughty slice of cake and a wonderful hot steamy creamy coffee, a smooth tempting hot chocolate with cream but who can afford to do that. To have that time and conversation with the kids or the other half can make all the difference touching base is just as important as the yummy drink.

This machine is a godsend. For a fraction of the price we have hot chocolate nights, tempting coffee nights and timeout, the smell of coffee lingers in the air and the conversation and fun to our home is at fever pitch come coffee time in the evening.

For the equilvalent of forty pence and sometimes much cheaper I can serve up a wonderful creamy coffee for my other half. The kids get to make me the perfect coffee in bed on Christmas morning (oh yes that is my intention). For whatever occassion this machine has the perfect solution at a cost I can afford. I used to make the drinks at nine in the evening for everyone, now my sons come down stairs to do the job with a smile and the conversation just flows, priceless.

I would recommend this to anyone its of a good quality. The pods are available at everyones local super market or better still put them on monthly delivery with Amazon grocery subscription. If your dithering take it from me don't worry just do it. Its nice looking, easy to clean and if you have kids you will never have to make coffee again, go for it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect, 28 Nov 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Don't get me wrong! The coffee and hot chocolate from this machine tastes great. However, there are some things that are not so great.

* The capsules are expensive. Not only that, but often you need two of them to make a drink. For hot chocolate, you use one chocolate + one milk, but to make a decent Americano you will need two coffee capsules also.

* This is a manual machine, so you need to concentrate on stopping the flow, or risk a flood.

* The water container is fiddly, and the lid is a loose fit.

On the other hand, making a drink doesn't take forever, like it does in many coffee shops, and it isn't unbearably bitter when you get it. Being an instantaneous heater, this should save money on an electric kettle.

For use at home, I would regard it as a luxury. However, if you use this at work as a personal machine, as an alternative to a coffee to go from the likes of Starbucks or Costa, it would save you quite a lot of money!

So, good coffee, medium running costs and there are a whole lot of different capsules you can buy online. You get a selection of six capsules with the machine, enough for about three to four drinks. The initial outlay is low, it is sturdily made, apart from that lid on the water container, and this user rates it at about four and a half stars.

Update: I have settled into the pattern of drinking a couple of NESCAFÉ Mochas a day now. My other half enjoys the NESCAFÉ Skinny Latte Machiatos. Don't buy these on repeat order, though. Although you save a small amount, I found delivery to be unbelievably random, for some reason. Some took weeks to arrive, and I had just put in a claim when an hour later they arrived, on a Sunday, via Royal Mail. As I am a Prime member, using that is more reliable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big!, 1 Dec 2012
Benjamin (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My first surprise when receiving this coffee make was the size: it is over 30 cm tall, 21 cm wide and about 35 cm front to back. I also thought it rather monstrous in appearance, although I have to say I am growing accustomed to its curios looks, variously described by the family as looking like an ant, a sitting cat, a puppy and a penguin among other things.

It is at least very easy to use, just pop in a capsule and turn on the tap (having of course initially filled the tank with water). In fact it is much easier to use than it is to work out the instructions on how to use, clean and descale it, for these are entirely pictorial, there are no written instructions. This no doubt saves the manufacturer a lot in translation costs and printing/paper costs, but they take a little deciphering to be sure that you've got it right, but once you start working with the machine everything falls into place.

So far I've only tried a few of the coffees, but there are many more coffees and other drinks (which include some iced teas and hot chocolate) available for this machine, and my verdict so far is "OK", I've tasted better, but I've also had far worse; I would describe the drinks as superior vending machine quality. But where this machine really scores is in convenience and ease of use, and it could be that its ease of use is what will earn this machine a longer life in out kitchen than many other fancy coffer makers. That is if the depth of our coffers can cover to the cost of the coffee! While many of the various drinks require just one capsule, a few require two, which doubles the cost of those particular drinks. The capsules are not cheap. Our local supermarket sells them at £3.77 for sixteen capsules, they are a little cheaper buying direct from the maker but for small orders there is the extra cost of postage; buying through Amazon is cheaper, and a quick Google throws up some even cheaper suppliers, but I've not tried any of the last.

Each capsule (or two capsule where required) is designed to make one mug of coffee (from 220 ml upwards depending on the selection); we drink our coffee by the cup and find that one capsule will just about make two small cups, so halving the cost. - another point in its favour as far as we are concerned.