Customer Video Review     Length:: 7:00 Mins
Published on 2 Dec. 2012 by Chris Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars A good coffee machine but a bit faffy!
I have wanted to try these coffee machines for a long time but I was always put off by the cost of the machine plus the cost of the pods to put in them. I was delighted to be able to have one via vine.

Published on 22 Nov. 2012 by The Little Bookworm

5.0 out of 5 stars Great coffeee that's quick and easy to make - just a little pricey for everyday use!, 2 Dec. 2012
Chris Hall "DLS Reviews" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Coffee Machine and Beverage Maker EDG420.B Melody 3 by De'Longhi - Black (Kitchen & Home)
Length:: 7:00 Mins

The Nescafé Dolce Gusto Melody 3 is a coffee machine that utilises Dolce Gusto capsules (or 'pods' as they're often called) to make a range of different coffees and hot chocolates. The functional design behind the machine is relatively simple. It heats up the water (or cools it down if it's for a cold drink) and then passes the water through the opened pod capsule to produce the desired drink.

The first point that really needs to be made is how the coffee machine is so incredibly easy to use. Simply fill up the tank at the rear of the machine, insert a pod capsule, switch it to 'hot' or 'cold' and away you go. The machine takes around a minute to heat up from having not been used recently. However, once heated up, it's ready to make drinks pretty much immediately for a good ten to twenty minutes after your first beverage. This is very handy when making multiple drinks.

The actual process of making the various drinks is very quick. If it's just an espresso that you're after then you'll have it poured in less than twenty seconds (and if you're anything like me then drunk in less than thirty!). For other drinks (such as a Latte Macchiato or a Cappuccino) you need to use multiple pods to make the beverage (i.e. the 'coffee' pod and a special 'milk' pod). This will add to the preparation time a little - but nothing to really get bothered about.

When in use (i.e. when actually pouring the drink) the coffee machine is particularly loud. Like when you're in a coffee shop, it buzzes like there's no tomorrow - really churning the boiling hot water through your little coffee pod. So if you plan to make yourself a snazzy little beverage whilst in the same room as a sleeping baby - think again.

What is quite surprising about the Dolce Gusto machine is that it doesn't actually warn you when to stop the water. So you need to watch the coffee coming out of the machine like a hawk - until you think it's finished (the coffee will start to go from dark brown in colour to clear).

So, on to the all-important question - what was the coffee like? Well, I'm no connoisseur of coffees. I order Americano's in coffee shops when we go there. I also like my coffee strong and full of flavour. However, my wife likes all those fancy coffees you see listed up on coffee shop menus. And to be fair - both of us have absolutely loved the results from this stylish little coffee machine.

Along with the machine you also get a little drip-dry pod bin for your empty pod capsules as well as a small taster set that allows you to make 1x Latte Macchiato, 1x Cappuccino and 1x Espresso. You also have a voucher for a further ten pounds worth of pods from the Dolce Gusto website. Not bad eh?

After having used the machine for a good couple of weeks now, we are very pleased with its overall performance. It does make great coffee, and it's so quick and simple to use - with hardly any cleaning required. However, the pod capsules themselves are quite pricey, and so it's probably worth checking out the various prices involved before purchasing the machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 year old machine review with tips to get the best out of it, 16 Mar. 2015
Mr. K. T. Johnsey "kris69" (Newport) - See all my reviews
My machine is now over 4 years old and is still working fine, never had a problem with it once, so massive credit to nescafe for making such a reliable bit of kit. I use it fairly regularly, though did have a spell for about 4 months where it wasn't used, so that's also a good indicator of the quality.

It's easy to clean, just run it on hot without a pod. I've also put a bit of fairy liquid through it and that's been fine. I haven't descaled it yet, even though it says you should every 6 months and haven't noticed a problem there, but I probably should soon.

It's basically a glorified kettle that punctures a coffee pod and runs a stream of hot water through the pod and out a spout. This gives a nice bit of froth to the coffee. I would say it could have been made to run the water hotter. Don't expect a boiling hot coffee if you make it with milk.

I've tried most of the flavours. The mocha is unique but not the best, the flavoured coffees I found a bit sickly and anything that uses a double pod (mocha, cappucino, vanilla etc) ends up being double the price per cup, so if that's the type of coffee you're after, I wouldn't recommend a dolce gusto as I haven't found a flavour that beats the instant packet brands. Only buy a dolce gusto if you're after strong, percolated/restaurant quality coffee, as it has 4 decent flavours for this (lungo, americano, cafe grande, espresso) and they only require 1 pod per cup and all produce a superior tasting coffee when compared to instant. The supermarkets tend to stock a few flavours and there's a good website service that's reliable.

My method I use to get the best out of the machine is to run it until the colour of the stream starts to fade. Then stop the pour, wait for the red light to stop flashing and turn to green (takes a few seconds), then start the pour again. This allows the water in the pod to mix a bit longer, so do this about 5 times and you will get a stronger tasting coffee.

I use a standard type of mug that holds more than the recommended cup size that dolce gusto advertise, so I think nescafe were on a cash grab to get people to buy their DG cup ranges. don't fall for it, your mug you have in the cupboard will be fine.

Dolce gusto is for anyone who likes strong quality tasting coffee, guaranteed you will be impressed. If cappucinos, mochas and flavoured coffees are more your thing, I'd say try and see if you can use a friends or relatives machine to taste test before you buy and compare to the instant packets you can get in the supermarket, as the price works out about the same and I personally think the packets taste better.

I also recommend it as a present to anyone who loves a cup of coffee or frequents starbucks, as my machine was bought as a present for me and it's stuck in my mind as one of the best I've received in the past 4 years

5.0 out of 5 stars great machine, 22 May 2013
I would buy this machine all over again. Coffee taste great and so easy to use and to keep clean. No problems so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Drinks Not Cheap but Very Tasty, 18 Dec. 2012
Brett H (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Dolce-Gusto machine is quite a strange looking beast, though one quickly gets used to its futuristic lines. It is also rather large, at about a foot high, so being rather storage space challenged and not wanting to put it on an already over cluttered side, finding somewhere convenient for it to live was the first issue.

I do not find purely pictorial instructions overly helpful, although this seems to be the trend with manufacturers these days. However, I was able to find my way around, having used this sort of machine before. I later discovered that there is written guidance in the introduction booklet, which also, incidentally, gives you a code to get £10 off in Dolce-Gusto's online shop once you register. The machine comes with 6 sample pods with which you can make 4 drinks as 2 of them require two pods each.

The actual operation is quite straight forward once you get the hang of it, although being a manual machine, you have to make sure you put the correct amount of water in the reservoir or fill the reservoir, but be sure to cut off the flow at the correct point. This is a little fiddly when you are making a drink which requires two pods. For example a cappuccino requires 200ml for the milk capsule, followed by 40ml for the coffee capsule. The machine will make either hot or cold drinks.

I was interested to see that the prices for pods on Amazon are very similar to those on offer on the Dolce-Gusto site (about 1p per pod difference). However, this assumes that the current offer on the manufacturer's site of free delivery for orders of over £25 continues. People will view the price here differently. Some may think that 24p is extortionate for a drink at home, and in these difficult times many will view this as an unwarranted and indeed unaffordable luxury. However, if you have a Costa or Starbucks habit you may well view this as cheap. Certainly the varieties which we have tried so far have been delicious and are really hard to fault, even compared with the dedicated coffee shops. There are a wide selection of different flavours available.

We did have one of these machines before, which after a year, had a continual blockage issue. Neither Nescafe, ourselves, or a friend who also had a similar machine were able to resolve the issue and we ended up discarding it in disgust. However, in fairness, we are very pleased so far with this machine. It is relatively simple to operate and the drinks it produces are very tasty. Time will tell whether we have problems in the future, but it is certainly so far so good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to use. Americano coffee OK. Convenience / Flavour trade-off., 17 Jan. 2013
Pallus (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
*UPDATE*

The bottom line is that this is a supremely convenient machine to use. It requires no cleaning apart from the drip-tray occasionally. There are no insides to clean out. It makes a half-decent coffee in about a minute. I use it most mornings now when I'm only half-awake. Sure, I've left it overflowing coffee everywhere as there's no auto-stop.

I have now been converted and would recommend this for anyone who wants to produce a standard cup of coffee QUICKLY and reliably. You might want to go for a model with auto-dosing though if you're likely to wander off after starting it up.

Coffee does not match the richness and quality of Lavazza's Modo Mio pods but is a satisfying workmanlike brew for when you don't have time to faff.

I've found this machine to be VERY reliable and minor problems (usually blocked or faulty pods) can be fixed with a pin or toothpick.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Original wafflesome review:

This is an appraisal of the machine itself and not the system of disposable pods per se. Ironically, the packaging is completely recyclable; the machine is protected by a pulp moulded carton.

Setup is a doddle and no assembly is required. My machine didn't seem to do as it was told on first use but once I got it going it was fine.

The machine comes with a minimal selection of coffee/milk pods as well as a nice plastic container which makes a very good toothbrush holder. I kid you not.

IN ACTION
The machine takes 30 seconds from 'on' to warm-up. There is a water tank which holds several mugs' worth of water so doesn't need filling with each use.
A pod is loaded into a removable drawer which then slots into the machine. In one action, this is clamped-down and a hypodermic needle-like proboscis pokes into the pod. A lever is then manually thrown which forces hot water out of the 'needle', through the pod and out of a nozzle into the cup waiting below. To stop the flow, the lever is manually returned to the start position; there is no automatic cut-off and therefore no pre-set vend volume.

After the flow is stopped, a few more drips continue out as the water in the pod drains. I find that if one is patient and waits a few seconds, there is no further leakage from the spent pod and it can be discarded with no mess at all. There is a drip-tray underneath anyway, just in case.

Oh, and there's an auto switch-off which is handy; it goes to sleep after 20 minutes or so without use.

So all in all, although operation is manual, I find this VERY easy to operate with little or no mess... "Load, Clamp, Pour!".

COFFEE QUALITY
Because the water is forced through the needle-like mechanism, I suspect this creates a kind of fake 'crema' on the coffee. As the coffee is dispensed, it is cloudy until it settles -a bit like Draught Guinness. I value taste over appearance but actually find this foamy 'crema' a bit offputting. I prefer it to come out like bitumen at first, all black and treacly, as it does with 'proper' espresso machines (and Lavazza's 'Espresso Point' range). I emptied a Gusto pod into a stove-top percolator similar to this Bialetti Elegance Venus Induction 6 Cup to compare the brew and have to say I found it noticeably more flavoursome and free of enhanced foam. But of course, it took much longer to produce and the percolator needed washing-up afterwards.

The coffee pods for this machine come in several varieties. I found 'Lungo' and 'Espresso' to be too bitter and 'Americano' is more to my taste. Numerous other varieties come as a combination of a coffee pod with accompanying dried milk whitener pod. These produce hideous drinks which taste like sweetened lard. Curiously, Americano is not included in the maegre collection of pods supplied with the machine.

With control over how long a coffee you want and therefore how strong you want it, I get an acceptable coffee using Americano in a small mug with a fair amount of hot milk. There is no facility to stretch your milk so I warm it first in the microwave for 30 seconds and then add the coffee on top.

The Americano pods cost me 23.5p each compared to standard Lavazza 'Qualita Rosso' loose ground coffee which works out at 12p per cup (based on 10g of coffee per cup). Could be worse. Of course, prices change and this is just a guide. I would be very pleased if re-usable self-fill pods become available for this particular Dolce Gusto system as it would reduce the running costs and increase the choice of coffee and thus the roast/grind/tamping pressure. And the worms would be thankful.

CONCLUSION
Although I despise the idea of landfill-destined disposable coffee pods, it is not the SYSTEM on review here but the machine. In use I've found it surprisingly easy to use and very low-maintenance. It produces an acceptable cup of coffee in no time. The styling does have similarities to Paul Noble's sculptures for the Turner Prize last year and whether this is classy or a load of old pony is a matter of personal opinion.

[My ref: Nescafe podder is actually alright. Or it will be when reusable pods appear. Annnggg -too much coffee! Jan 2013]

3.0 out of 5 stars A good coffee machine but a bit faffy!, 22 Nov. 2012
The Little Bookworm "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The machine arrived in a shiny box and was well packaged. It came with six pods to try, which was a nice touch. I am a real technophobe and managed to successfully set this up, which basically involves running some hot water through it. I must say though the instructions that come with it are absolutely useless.

Basically, you fill the 'tank' with water, turn on until the light goes green, lift the flap with nescafe dolce gusto on it, insert your 'pod' and flip the switch. Now, it is up to you to decide when to turn this off. It's not a case of flip it on and the machine will stop it. It doesn't. On the one hand this is a good thing as you can decide how strong you want something but it is very faffy. It's not exactly how I imagined it would work to be honest. I didn't think I would have to stand there deciding how much I wanted.

On this point, if you are making a latte or a hot chocolate, this requires two pods and it gives you an indication of how much of each you should use. For example, the hot chocolate (or choccochino) needs 100ml of the hot chocolate and 110ml of the milk. This is up to you to decide. Unless you use a measuring jug, which sort of defeats the point in my opinion, it really is a guess. Plus, as you can tell if you can add two munbers together, this makes a smaller than average cup. Yes you could use two pods but this would make, for me, quite an expensive beverage.

The pods themselves are easy enough to use. My main gripe with them is when you have to remove them from the machine. They drip so it is necessary to hold a tea towel underneath, which is not the luxury illusion of coffee making that I had in mind! And if you are making a drink that needs two pods, your drink is going cold while you are changing round the pods.

Something else I really don't see the point of is the black box that comes with it. I presume it is for when you are cleaning to put the water into but surely you could just use a cup or bowl?

The machine does have it's good points though. It makes lovely drinks that, to my mind, are plenty hot enough. The water comes out steaming! The 'tank' is big enough for two drinks which is perfect. I would always tip the water out after use anyway and fill it with fresh next time. It just adds a bit of luxury after dinner or at Christmas.

We do like this coffee machine but it doesn't come without it's faults. It's not something we would use everyday due to convenience and cost but I can see us using it once a week or so.

2.0 out of 5 stars not happy, 2 April 2014
pin on head broke just after the year was up my daughter had same problem 5 weeks ago im a bit disappointed. made great coffee other wise. don't seem to find replacement parts anywhere pity

4.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 29 Nov. 2012
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love my new drinks machine!

I must admit I am not a coffee drinker but instead have been using it for making chocochinos which are lovely

Pros
very easy to use. Your drink is ready in a matter of minutes
design is nice and looks lovely in my kitchen
easy to clean. It all comes apart easily and makes for easy cleaning

cons
some of the drinks require two pods and therefore doubles the price of your drink compared to those that use only one
while it says measurements of water to use it is hard to gauge how much 110ml is when you are using the machine. It has taken a bit of trial and error with cup size to make sure my drinks aren't too watery

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but flawed, 4 Mar. 2014
Firstly, the pods are not cheap for this thing but it does make very nice coffee. However, the drawback is that the water quantity is decided by guesswork and if you use too much or too little, the drink doesn't taste right. This is especially true for the hot chocolate. When you get the right amount of milk and the right amount of chocolate, its very nice hot chocolate, but put too much water in, and the result is watered down chocolate that tastes awful. If they could put a man on the moon in 1969, surely they can make a coffee machine that dispenses just the right amount of hot water in a mug? Nice, when you get it right, but expensive if you get it wrong as the pods are expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars It arrived 3 days earlier than eta and suprise after suprise the hot drinks all amazing the cold drinks even better can't believ, 28 Dec. 2014
I read all the reviews of the different brands and decided to go with Nescafe as a familiar brand and was not let down. It arrived 3 days earlier than eta and suprise after suprise the hot drinks all amazing the cold drinks even better can't believe it took me so long in buying one and at a great price thank you amazon