5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning dress.
I have a couple of weddings to go to later this year, which, as something of a tomboy threw me into a bit of a panic. You see, normally for a smart occasion I would wear smart trousers, but that just didn't sound appropriate for a summer wedding. Whilst I did own several skirts, they were all either too short, too casual, or too 'workwear' to be suitable.

I...
Published 19 months ago by T. Wahaid

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Dress - but too large!
I am a size 18/20, but 2 dresses that I had ordered for a wedding were both just that little bit too snug for me to be comfortable in them so I ordered a 20.... it drowned me! I didn't need the underskirt as I was wearing a petticoat under, so thankfully I could use the material to line the estimated panel which stopped me from flaunting my wares at the family wedding...
Published 2 days ago by Technical Princess

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning dress., 17 May 2013
T. Wahaid "thehonesttruth" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews

I took to amazon, one of my favourite websites, for inspiration. I wanted something i would wear more than once, something that was 'alternative' enough to suit my desire for individuality without being too off the wall, something kooky but still feminine, and feminine without being too pink and girly.

This dress by black butterfly designs fit the bill - feminine 1950's styling, with an a line skirt including built in netting for volume, a sweetheart halterneck neckline that emphasises the bosom without showing it off, and a contrasting ribbon sash that could be tied in a neat bow around the back. As pictured above, it comes in six colourways - I originally purchased mine in the one you see in the larger image, black with a black ribbon sash, and red and black roses.

This dress looks absolutely fantastic on me, and I have a far from perfect figure - a definite beer belly, and rather oddly shaped hips. This dress skims over these imperfections, and with the help of the sash gives the impression not only of me having a fairly flat stomach, but also a rather slim looking waist. It does sadly expose my rather chunky upper arms, but these can easily be concealed with a bolero jacket.

The fit is generous - I normally wear a size 22-24 in dresses, and ordered this in a size 24. It fit well, but still had plenty of room left in it, and I was glad for the sash to bring it in around the back. I actually think I could perhaps have gone with ordering a size 22, but I must say it is refreshing to be able to order a dress that does have generous sizing.

I also really like the length of the dress, which comes to just below the knee on me. This allows me to show off my legs, without any risk of showing off anything else should the wind get up. I also love the fact that when I spin, the skirt flares out around me. And I am very impressed with the fact that this dress is machine washable.

The pattern is wonderful and detailed, with bold and vibrant colours that so far have not faded at all upon washing.

I purchased this dress for a wedding in the summer. I expected to try it on, decide 'well, it's ok I guess' and then not see it again until the wedding. In fact, since this arrived I've worn this on multiple occasions - while it's a very smart dress, I can get away with wearing it just casually, as it has that slightly alternative look that actually works well when combined with tattoos and gothy makeup. I've worn it on nights out , to pub lunches with friends, and even round the house when I just want to feel nice. It is very rare for me to fall in love with an item of clothing, but I feel so fantastic when wearing this, and so feminine, that I absolutely adore it, and plan to order it in some of the other colours (after all, it wouldn't do to wear the same outfit to two weddings.)

Overall, this is a fantastic dress I would very much recommend - floaty and feminine, without being too girly, and draws endless compliments and queries as to where I purchased it. I can't wait to order my next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars BLACK BUTTERFLY FLORAL DRESS (PURPLE), 4 July 2012
This dress is fabulous :) it was quick delivery (received in two days of ordering)Im a size 18 and proud it fits perfectly with a little extra room, the colour is wonderful and if the ribbon isn't for you it comes separately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and gorgeous dress!, 27 Oct 2012
Great value for money! I absolutely love this dress, bought it for going to a family wedding and everyone commented on how lovely it looked. Even my gran liked it! Gives you a great figure as well, because of the halterneck. Overall a great purchase! Can't wait for an excuse to wear it again :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Slimming, skimming and sassy!, 11 Dec 2013
I can't rate this dress highly enough. I ordered in a size 16 even though I'm an 18. It fits beautifully with lots of room across the back if needed. I have a large bust but didn't need a bra with this dress. It held me in securely and as its lined around the bust there was nothing to indicate I wasn't wearing a bra. Such a flattering shape, I felt like a size 10. Flattened my tum, skimmed over my hips and enhanced my bust. Stunning dress and will definitely be ordering in different designs.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab dress, 4 May 2012
Mrs. P. Barr (UK) - See all my reviews
fantastic dress amazing fit will look fab with my black underskirt (which gives it that xtra ooomph and wow factor) which i bought for another same style dress at xmas!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars party time, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: Black Butterfly Floral 50S 60S Rockabilly Vtg Swing Prom Dress (Apparel)
this dress arrived quickly and was well packaged. sizes are generous. the print is lovely. I got many complements on how I looked in this dress,helped me stand out from the crowed

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, 28 July 2014
I read the reviews and took a chance , so glad i did , not only is the dress fabulous , i actually looked very nice in it . I wore it to my son' s wedding and got so many compliments ,not only on the dress being so pretty but how it looked on me. I'm size 18 so i wore a little bolero to cover the top of my arms , i wore the ribbon on the day but have just ordered a black patent belt for a different look. Hope this was helpful to you ladies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 22 July 2012
Be (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've had my eye on this beautiful dress for a couple of months. Wasn't disappointed when it arrived within two days. I ordered size 22 and it is big enough to skim over the lumps and bumps but tight enough to emphasis the right curves. Beautiful colour and length.the only thing I didn't like was the netting at the bottom so I unstitched it and it didn't ruin the dress.

4.0 out of 5 stars pin up dress, 30 April 2014
Bought this dress for some event I need to dress up for this year. I'm normally a size 18 but you know dress sizes can be funny so ordered it in a 20 in case it was made small, turns out the dress is a little bit baggy in some areas and not others. Women with larger chests it has a stretch panel in the back of the dress which helps but eel like I will need to pull the sash tight to show I have a waist.
The dress looks stunning, in need of a good steam when it arrived all squished up packaging.
Will be ordering more from black butterfly and would recommend to a friend

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product and service, 13 Aug 2014
I bought this dress in size 16 as I am a size 14 in shops and was worried it would be tight as some clothes can be! The 16 was too big so I sent back free of charge and reordered 14 it's was a perfect helpful return service and the 14 was perfect! I have large chest but small frame (30gg) and the 14 fits perfectly around my chest but comes in at the waist so isn't baggy!
Love this item would definitely recommend this and will buy from this seller again.