5.0 out of 5 stars Atec case USB3 problem solved
Product arrived on time and in good order, fitted and working OK.

Published 21 months ago by Roger

Well I bought this card (along with the separate front panel from Anker) hoping to bring my ageing computer into the promising future of USB 3.0 - but alas it did not work.

Published 1 month ago by Jamie

5.0 out of 5 stars Atec case USB3 problem solved, 21 Nov 2012
This review is from: AnkerŪ Uspeed PCI-E to USB 3.0 2-Port Express Card, with 5V 4 Pin Male Power Connector and 1 USB 3.0 20-pin Connector ( expand another two USB 3.0 ports ) (Personal Computers)
Product arrived on time and in good order, fitted and working OK.

Reason for purchse is our new build machine has a Gigabyte motherboard with 2 external USB3 ports but only onboard headers for three USB2. The Antec Sonata case from Amazon was advertised as having 2 front USB2 ports but Antec have upgraded their product to USB3. We were left with two front USB3 ports and nothing to connect them to and three spare onboard USB2 headers.

Internet search shows a number of customers with the same problem and one suggested a USB3 card. The alternative is a USB2 to USB3 adaptor cable but there is not much point in going backwards.

We now have six rear USB2 and four rear USB3 with two front USB3 ports. Also purchased a front card reader to make use of one of the onboard USB2 headers.

Couldn't be more pleased.
Antec Sonata Proto MIDI Tower Case compatible with ATX, Micro ATX, Mini ITX

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me - but here's how you might be able to get it to work for you!, 3 July 2014

Installed it into a PCIe x1 slot with the 4 pin molex power connector. Simple stuff. Windows (7 64 bit) detects the new hardware but can't find the drivers - so installed the drivers from the included disk - rebooted - now listed in device manager as VIA USB 3 HUB and VIA USB 3 eXtensible Host Controller. Sounds about right? Go to test it with a flash drive - nothing. Test it with a portable HDD - nothing. Nothing lighting up on the devices to say they are plugged into anything and nothing showing up in windows to indicate that any device us been plugged in.

So go to download the most up-to-date drivers from here:

www. ianker.com/product/68UPPCIE-2S20PU

Uninstall the old ones, reboot, install the new ones, reboot - still nothing.

Subsequently i'm thinking - lets have a look around ye olde internet to see if anyone has any fixes. I found this very helpful review on the dot com site from the one known as only as 'Gene':

www. amazon.com/review/R11GJOB2ZUFJFK/ref=cm_cd_pg_prev?ie=UTF8&asin=B007SJGGAE&cdForum=Fx9A2S0GVAFU3J&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx1O7E35AAZXXGW&store=pc#wasThisHelpful

Thus leading me try a few more drivers from VIA:

via-labs. com/en/support/downloads.jsp#hostdriver

But unfortunately, although these seemed to work for some people - they did not work for me.

Next on the agenda - Try the other PCIe x1 slot and the spare PCIe x16 slot - whilst uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers each time. Nope.

Or I could try flashing the most up-to-date BIOS? Nope.

This is around the time I started emailing customer services who despite not having a UK support number and taking about half a day to respond to my email - they were relatively helpful and suggested trying the card in a different computer.

Now I have a ASUS P5k Premium WIFI/AP board - which is admittedly at least 6 years old - but this should be no good reason for the card not to work - PCIe is backward and forward compatible - if the board has a PCIe socket I should be able to plug a PCIe component into it and have it work! You would think? (This is advertised right!?)

Anyway - I then introduce the card to my parents computer - An Asus P8 H61. Install into the spare slot, attach the 4 pin molex - install the drivers straight off the disk... Only to have the card work perfectly! As it obviously would! But it gets more painful - the bitter irony is that my parents computer already has native USB 3.0 support! What a Joke!

So while I had it working I ran some tests: via the card I transferred a 4gb file at around 70-80mbps - taking about 30 seconds. Would have been happy with that on my computer. Interestingly enough I transferred the same file from the same device via the native support as well and got speeds around 85-110mbps - probably knocking a few seconds off. So don't think this will be quite as fast as native support would be (if you do get it to work!).

In the end I would love to tell you something cathartic, the ultimate compensation like: I realised the card’s hidden switch had been in the ‘off’ position the whole time - I turned it on and got speeds of up to 5000mbps on my own computer! With this I managed to seduce a bright young 22 year old girl and now we’re settled down with a family in an idyllic country cottage in cornwall...

Regrettably that hasn’t happened. Though Anker customer services have given me a full refund and I have now ordered a Silverstone EC04-E PCI Express Card from Scan.co.uk:

www. scan .co.uk/products/4-port-silverstone-sst-ec04-e-pci-express-card-with-4x-usb-30

So I will report back here if I manage to get that one to work or not.

In conclusion:
-This anker card may work for you - more likely if you have a newer computer.
-If not, try the steps given in Gene’s review.
-Then try the steps I suggested as a final hope.

Been a bit of a learning curve for me - if you read loads of these customer reviews for different cards you will find i’m not the only one reporting they don’t work. Other people complain of them not lasting long, causing slow boots, general instability, hangs when logging off and even the cards frying their USB devices *gulp*. Remember they can’t be tested to work on every single variation of computer system - so be careful out there fellow consumers!

2.0 out of 5 stars Low profile..? Yeah but..., 3 Dec 2012
The card is sold with an optional low profile bracket (which fitted after a bit of bending) but the 4 pin power connector is on the top of the card so with power connected I now can't get the lid on my computer..! I'm having to use the thing with the lid off until a card with the power connector on the side arrives (from China in 5 weeks).

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy installation, and a great addition to my PC, 29 Dec 2012
TotallydubbedHD (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I received this a week ago, and have been testing it with 3.0 devices to test its speed. The speeds I've been getting are very good, and pretty much match my Asus motherboard's 3.0 speeds.

The installation is very simple - it only requires a MOLEX power connector, which isn't included in the package, however should be coming straight from your PSU (in my case from the Corsair AX750) - once the molex connector is in place, the card is ready to be used.
It has the 20pin USB connector on the card itself, meaning you can connect up any front side USB connections (ie front panel usb ports). This is useful, if you need to connect a USB 3.0 card reader, but have already used the 20pin connector on your motherboard (in my case the Asus Sabertooth Z77).

As for the USB 3.0 connections, exterior to your board, there are two, as pictured.
I should also note that you get a small plate adapter too, in order to put this card in small PC setups (do bear in mind that molex connection)

The installation of the drivers, was very easy, with the CD provided, and Windows 7 instantly picks up anything plugged into it.
I've tried a varied amount of things, such as my EPH-O2D Audio DAC, my Logitech C615 Camera, a USB 3.0 card reader by Uspeed and even my Canon printer.
Everything works, and everything is picked up instantly.

Finally, I should note the PCI-E speeds (ie 16x or 4x etc) as with slower, older systems, your slower PCI-E speeds won't let you enjoy the fast speeds of this 3.0 card. Do bear that in mind, and do your research before buying a 3.0 compatible card.

For the price (of around Ģ12), the card is well worth it, especially for systems, unlike mine, that don't have USB 3.0 slots (or not enough of them). Remember USB 3.0 is also backwards compatible, meaning your USB 2.0 devices will also work in the 3.0 slots (such as my printer and camera for example).

Will definitely recommend this one!
I also hope my pictures, help you understand what's included, and how it is supposed to be connected to your PSU.

2.0 out of 5 stars Driver installation caused BIOS corruption, 21 Mar 2014
I decided to the try this USB3 card as the NEC USB3 ports on my ASUS motherboard were not working properly. I'm using Windows 7, so as there are no inbuilt USB3 drivers I had to install the drivers that came with the card. Driver installation caused my BIOS to lose custom overclocking settings, and on boot up Windows displays messages that warn that the card could perform faster if connected to a 'USB3 SuperSpeed hub' - I thought this card was the USB3 hub... Because of these error messages I tried a later driver version from Anker - this one again corrupted the BIOS by changing the order of the boot devices. The PC would no longer boot up ('missing system disk' type error) so had to go into the BIOS again to correct that. The newer driver made no improvement - I still get the error messages on boot up.

Installation notes provided with the driver describe a manual installation process, but the files needed are not included. The notes also recommend a firmware update of the VIA chipset before installation of the drivers, but again no instructions on how to do this or where to get the update from are included - there's nothing on Anker's website. Contact with Anker's tech support was useless - they did offer to replace the card but could not actually offer any technical support. I could return the card to Amazon so dealing with Anker in California is of little use... The VIA website proved no more helpful; some drivers in beta are available (which have a 'use at your peril' warning) but there appear to be no stable drivers available. There are no instructions on how to update the firmware. Indeed it is not even clear which chipset they apply to or how to correctly identify the one on the card.

Having said all that, and notwithstanding the continued error messages, the card does actually seem to work. I get data transfer rates about 4x what might be expected from USB2 (approx. 100MB/s) - much slower than the theoretical maximum for USB3 but about par for the course from what I can gather.

All in all I cannot recommend this product at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uspeed PCI-E to USB 3.0 2 Port Express Card, 3 Jan 2013
Bought this to go with a front panel usb3 bay. Packaging good and delivery fine. There is an identical product on amazon which has plain metal backplate, this one has the smart black. Also supplied is the low profile back plate. Easily fitted, and the screw is supplied. Installing. Slighty different from the normal W7 installation. Use the supplied disc, open device manager, add hardware and when finished reboot. Then device manager again add hardware. The first time is for the hardware added to the bios, (hence reboot) the second time is the driver. Ignore the windows update. Works well, did several speed tests with
A) SSD crucial M4. very fast
B) usb3 pendrive, same speed as built in usb3
I would buy this again if needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good chipset, good price., 12 Oct 2012
I bought this for the 20pin USB3 header to match my case's front panel.

It's based on the Fresno Logic FL1100 chipset and performance is pretty much in line with the competition. You can Google that chipset for further specifications and reviews.

I found data indicating the chipset can supply 7.5W so that's 1.5A output for charging.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very problematic in my hands, but excellent customer service., 30 July 2014
Below is my original review, you still can read it. However, I am changing it and giving 4 stars to Anker because they contacted me personally offering a full refund. I did not even have to return the card to them. Customer service could not be better :).

"This little card has been a huge source of problems in my case. First, it only works properly in PCI-E x1 or x16 slots, otherwise you can expect to have tons of conflicts in Windows (at least Windows 7) and the EXPLORER.EXE failing and restarting almost constantly. I could not even switch off the computer without a BSOD. I moved the card to a PCI-E x16 slot and it seemed to work for a while, but the same kind of trouble appeared after a few hours (it was less severe, at least I was able to restart and switch off the computer). In the end, I had to remove the card only to find that some old VIA drivers were still present even after uninstalling them and were still able to cause conflicts. I was forced to manually remove all the files and it was a real chore. All in all, I really like Anker but I cannot recommend this device. P.D: the computer was a Dell Precision T5400. You really want to avoid the card if you own this workstation."

4.0 out of 5 stars Yay! I can use my front USB 3.0 ports!, 29 April 2014
M. Hasker (Fareham, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought a Coolmaster HAF XB case which is a great case. Except my motherboard does not have the available connector for USB 3.0 ports, despite having USB 3.0 ports on the IO panel. Cool.

This card did the trick - not only have I now got 2 extra USB 3.0 ports, but I was able to connect my front USB ports into it and it worked first time without having to install any drivers. Bonus.

Only thing to consider is that you will need a spare 4 pin Molex connector, or an available one that is close by.

2.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility problem with graphics cards, 12 Jan 2014
Mr. A. E. Pugh "Jencar" (Aldershot) - See all my reviews
Installation of this card was straightforward and with the driver installed from the supplied disc the card was recognised immediately. However the graphics card was immediately affected causing the display to look as though it had been shredded with much of it unreadable. I looked through other users comments and found that this problem had been reported before so it is not an isolated case. My system uses a PNY NVIDIA GeForce 8400 graphics card mounted in the PCIE-16 slot on a Gigabyte motherboard with an Intel duocore processor, running XP SP3. This Anker USB3 card requires a PCIE-1 slot which happens to be the next slot to the graphics card. My graphics card uses IRQ23 and I believe the previous reviewer said the the USB card uses the same IRQ and he had to adjust his bios to change IRQ's. Having read further on the internet it has been noted that interference from USB 3 to various electronic devices is not uncommon due to the frequencies it works at, so it may not be an IRQ problem at all.
I therefore uninstalled the card and have returned it for a refund. The display worked perfectly again after removing this USB card.