4.0 out of 5 stars MercyMe is Back Doing What They Do Best, 29 May 2015
Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hurt & the Healer (Audio CD)
Since bursting on the scene with their debut, MercyMe has been a steady force in Christian music. Their early adult pop sound has given way to soft rock, but that's the biggest change for these guys. And they are back proving they still can entertain with The Hurt & The Healer.

MercyMe starts things off with the upbeat "You Know Better." The drums are flying as Bart Millard sings about the need to trust God. You guessed it, I really do like this song. It's fun with a catchy melody. But any song about the struggle between trusting God and trying to do things on my own is always a good reminder that "I'm not the one in control."

Of course, they follow it up with possibly my least favorite song on the disc. I get what they were trying to do with "You Don't Care at all." But the refrain that "You don't care at all" is too simple, and that's the part that gets stuck in my head. Plus the idea that God doesn't care about what we are going through isn't right either. Of course, the real point is that when God has forgiven us of our sins, He forgets about them, but it doesn't quite come across right.

The title track really reminds us that Jesus is there for us in the midst of any pain we are going through. They slow things down a little for this track. Meanwhile, they bring in a choir for the anthem "To Whom It May Concern," which is really a call to put your past behind you and move on as well as a call for others not to judge us by our past.

I really like the idea behind "You are I Am." The verses are about me and who I am - fearful doubter who can't do anything on his own. Then comes the chorus, which reminds us that "You're the One who conquers giants…You shut the mouths of lions…You are I Am." The use of God's name from the Old Testament really plays well with the contrasts they create between the verses and the chorus.

Bear Rinehart of Needtobreathe joins them for "Take the Time," a reminder to help those in need. "Don't Give Up on Me" is a plea to God to continue to forgive despite constantly falling back into sin. "Hold On" reminds us that the beauty here on Earth is just a taste of what God has in store for us in Heaven. And "Best of Me" is a song of surrender, telling God "I won't just give You the best of me/When You want You want my everything."

When I really stop and listen to this disc, I notice differences between song - different tempos and melodies. However, when I put this disc in my car and just listen, the songs begin to blend together after a while. Frankly, that's something that MercyMe has done in the past - find a style they like and stick with it for the entire disc.

But here's the thing - I like it. Normally, something like that would probably cost a disc a couple of stars, but I can't do that here. I really do enjoy what I am hearing and find myself tapping my toes and singing along as I learn the words. It's fun.

The exception to this is "The First Time," which closes out the disc. Instead of being electric guitar driven, this ballad is piano based. Yes, it's a typical closer for MercyMe in that regard, but it also makes it start out from the rest of the disc. The lyrics marvel at God's mercy to save us.

The Hurt & The Healer is certainly to please MercyMe's fans with new music they'll enjoy. On the other hand, there is nothing here that will change anyone's minds about this group. Since I am a fan, I know I will enjoy the songs here for some time to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Feb. 2013
Mercyme return with another solid album. The lyrics are more focused and worshipful, with moments of softness and loud anthemic builds too. Musically, Mercyme remain eclectic, often jumping from genre to genre, but without it feeling as forced as on previous albums. It's effortless and always inkeeping to song. The result is a grown up, honest album which is refreshing in its message of Grace. How it overwhelms us and how despite the simple fact that we never deserve it - our gracious God gives it anyway, time and again.
A beautiful reminder of God's excellence, admissions of our own guilt and then responding to that in worship. Those are the central themes on this wonderful little gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurt and the Healer, 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Hurt & the Healer (Audio CD)
I love the music that this band produce and this has turned out to be one of my favourites. Refreshing new music by a modern Christian band. I have bought several copies for friends who love music like I do, with very positive results. All of them comment on the title song. It is simply an amazing song if one is suffering any emotional or physical pain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Hurt & the Healer (Audio CD)
Everyone on the planet should not only hear but own some of Mercy Me's music, they share real stories of God's Love and Grace in hard time. don't hesitate BUY this and all the other albums, if you want a taster try Mercy Me 10 their compilation album for their first 10 years. also you must check out their youtube channel for quirky vids... Pure Class

5.0 out of 5 stars These guys are just as good as ever!, 26 Oct. 2013
It's been a while since I've listened to MercyMe. When I stumbled across this album, I knew they wouldn't disappoint, and indeed they did not! Powerful worship music; poignant and most importantly, God centered. Awesome stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars As always, high quality album, 2 Oct. 2013
Crackdown (Knighton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
If you like MercyMe you will enjoy this album, if you want some Chirstian music that is more mainstream then this will be the one for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Healing, 29 Mar. 2013
This album is the fist I have bought of Mercy Me and I love their expressions of worship. I will be getting their other albums soon

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 7 Jan. 2014
A beautiful, insightful and inspiring album. The heading song, "Hurt and the Healer" was so close to my heart. Amazing1!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurt & the Healer, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Hurt & the Healer (Audio CD)
It is awesome! Spiritually reviving and I recommend it to all. Thank God for this vessels. God bless you all, Amen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cd, never one disappointment, 24 Sept. 2014
Great cd ,never one disappointment

Hurt & the Healer
Hurt & the Healer by MercyMe (Audio CD - 2012)