on 2 November 2014
To be honest, I feel cheated. The book is written, and I purchased it, on the basis that the images used in the book are downloadable. These images would have enabled the reader to follow and replicate all of the examples in the book. To my mind actually doing the exercises oneself is quite important rather than just reading about it.When you are doing it yourself and things don't work,you know you haven't grasped the principle and you can go back, reread and try again. Be that as it may, the book promises downloadable images when they are not available.
It's a shame because this book might have been a good buy but as it is I wish I had purchased one of the other excellent guides from other authors that are available.
on 22 September 2013
The book is well written and interesting. Most of the demonstrations are clear, easy to follow, and give a good grounding in the use of layer masks. However, unlike his earlier book, none of the QR codes or bitly links worked for me, so I was unable to download the images he used and work through the demonstrations with him. Near the end of the book he describes the production of a vignette effect using four blends, but gives no information other than that it is possible! I found that very irritating, though I have since worked out how to do it.