5.0 out of 5 stars Part 2: greater understanding., 9 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Orchestra, Vol. II (Approaching the Dark Age Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I have been meaning to get the second review done. After seeing the new editions, I've decided to re-download them from smashwords, and I can safely say that the author's definitely improved them with these new editions.The last editions I had didn't have the extras so the lore of Chiver's universe is massively fleshed out - a nice treat! Especially loved the extras in this book with the heavy descriptions on the DSD (Dream-State Driver, basically faster than light propulsion - as a sci-fi nerd I instantly fell in love with it) are very well described. The Crystal Core section was also entertaining, though there are things in this universe I do not understand.

Right, to the story itself. It starts off from the previous story with the adventurers ready to embark on their mission to find the skulls of meridia. In effect, I think the story progresses with a faster pace (no having to get to know the characters *yawn*) than that of Resonance (and it's longer). The character's are soon thrown into heavy combat situations, most life threatening - and will definitely keep you on the edge.

All the characters pleasantly grow, so much so that it creates tension in some scenes. The plot twists with the Anunaki are excellent and it gets even better when you read Echo! Certainly a nice change of pace from just following the "heroes" throughout the story as it were. There are many surprises in store for you, and even after re-reading Chivers's new 2013 edition, I still found it good, if not much better than before.

I urge anyone that's into sci-fi / fantasy to read this series. You don't know what you're missing. It's different from everything else out there, and I don't want to spoil it as much as I'd want to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get's even better and well worth it!, 9 Jun. 2013
Its been a while since I've read Matthew Chivers first book, Resonance. I had the second downloaded for a while but haven't got around to it until now to write up a review. I'm not the best at it. All I can say is that the second book doesn't disapoint. I especially loved extras put into the back of the ebook, wasn't expecting it. Was really about all the different crystals to do with Resonance.

The story follows on from the first book and the adventurers continue on there quest to gather the skulls of Meridia to try and save there home. I thought the second book was much better. No getting to know characters helped with the pace, so you can just read and read through the adventure without getting bogged down. The action was brilliant, I thought some of the scenes were well spliced together!

Not all goes well for Maledream and Angelite throughout the adventure, and some shocking things happen to most of the characters in this. Much grittier! Loved it.

Sorry I'm not brilliant at reviews :( but I really liked this book and I went on to read the 3rd straight away :) this isn't a standard adventure... this series really does feel like it belongs in its own genre. I've not come across anything else like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will want to read more!, 16 Jun. 2012
I started to read the first in this series because I was asked to, but after a few pages was hooked and more than happy to carry on. I have read a lot of sci-fi/fantasy and enjoy them. I can see parallels in these to King and Tolkien, with the creation of vast environments, time lines, characters and quests.

Maledream, Angelite, Neveah, Silver and Co are leaving Meridia, on a quest to help "save the world". Cliched as this maybe, the story once again grips and interests with new twists and turns. The characters still draw you in and compel you to read more. I enjoyed the new dimensions and more detail about the Anunaki.

The fights, battles and ongoing dramas are well explained and fast paced. There isn't a moment to be bored. The better Maledream and Angelite become, the better the story gets.

The author has repeatedly re-written these books, for improvements in language rather than actual content, as he has struggled with writing from an early age. While you may find the language a little different to start with, for me certainly, I soon became lost in the story and I stopped noticing it. It did not detract from my enjoyment.

As soon as I finished this I was straight onto the next one without a moments hesitation.