5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic on iPhone 4s and now works with iPhone 5 too!
Even though my FT80 came with a HRM strap, I really wanted to synchronise in real-time my Polar data with the apps I was running on my iPhone; the Polar H7 allows you to do exactly this.

Published 19 months ago by Danielle

1.0 out of 5 stars Great....when it's working.
Published 3 months ago by Liverpooltiger

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic on iPhone 4s and now works with iPhone 5 too!, 16 Sep 2012
Danielle (Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polar H7 Bluetooth 4.0 Heart Rate Sensor for iPhone 4S/5 (Sports)

Setting it up was a snap with the watch finding it right away and the iPhone apps just needing to be connected individually. I should point out though that at first I thought it was faulty at the unit does not show up in the Bluetooth list as I expected, but is connected though each apps settings screen (the user guide makes no mention of how the device works with an iPhone.)

Once you set up the device and set off, you see your heart rate accurately displayed not only on your watch, but on the app too; something I've found to be *highly* motivating when comparing work-out data as you can easily see your fitness and endurance levels improving with actual data, not just a 'feeling'.

In summary then, a superb product which (for me at least) has really helped me track and improve my fitness, but make sure you use the latest version of your apps for it to work on the iPhone 5.

*update* Since posting this, many of the apps have been updated for the iPhone 5. I can confim that the H7 now works perfectly with the latest versions of the most popular fitness apps (Runkeeper, Endomondo etc.).

*2014 update* Happy to report that the same H7 that I bought a couple of years ago is still working perfectly and still using the original batteries. It also works perfectly with the new Polar Loop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Improving compatibility, 12 Aug 2013
A couple of apps now compatible with this and Samsung galaxy S4. Also works perfectly with gym equipment. Remember to disconnect from strap to avoid flat battery.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great....when it's working., 11 Jan 2014
When this is working, it's great & does everything that I could want; especially when linked to the edmondo app. However, & it's a BIG "however"...it is constantly losing its power. The monitor plays dead & nothing, including changing the battery, revives it. An internet search showed this to be a common issue & it's resolved by opening up the battery enclosure & bridging the metal connectors with a paper clip!! It then miraculously comes back to life. I cannot tell you how annoying this is as it can be perfectly ok before you leave the house then, 5 minutes later, at the gym (& without your paper clip!!) it's dead so no recording of results....Grrrrr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says; Polar beat makes the difference, 5 Jun 2013
A. J. Howard - See all my reviews
I bought this before upgrading my phone so spent some time using with my FT80 as a straightforward HRM transmitter. It worked as well as the original although the clasp was more fiddly and the elastic was not as robust. When I upgraded to iphone 5 that made the world of difference. I now get all the information I need but that is down to the Polar Beat app. There are some niggles which may just be teething problems for me but could take this down to 5 stars. The big one is that the star training programme on the watch does not mesh with the beat training. I am also yet to work how to isolate parts of my training sessions when I am running intervals or at race pace; the polar online notes seem to suggest that I should be using another HRM. The interface is with beat so I would not expect that to be the case.

I love my FT80 for the strength training features and have yet to check them out on beat, although a watch on your wrist in the gym is better than an iphone on your arm. If you are just getting into HRM training the H7and polar beat on your iphone is a cheap way to try it out. The features keep me motivated and I have just started so I will update this review when I am fully up to speed.

My recommendation is to give it a try; well worth it at the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great heart rate monitor for fitness enthusiasts, 7 Oct 2013
Mr. F. Khan "the bfg" (UK) - See all my reviews
POLAR WATCH & ANALOGUE USE: The Polar H7 sensor allows me to sync to my Polar watch and record my information on the analogue system. I go to the Polar website and easily download my workout info and it stores it all there allowing me to look at the basic stats. It also syncs with many gym tread machines, such as Technogym and sends your heart rate info there.

BLUETOOTH USE - The added feature (that i got it for) is it has a Bluetooth sensor which also allows me to sync it to my iphone and record data onto the Polar app (free to download). The latter gives a very basic breakdown of your stats immediately and no need to go home and download the information. (time, date, dur of exercise, calories burned, average heart rate and highest heart rate. It also shows heart rate on a graph for the duration of your activity) Still very a good level of info.

Polar wants you to buy upgrades in the app to get more detailed breakdowns - 4 upgrades all at 1.99-2.50 each.
1. set specific training targets
2. see the effect of your workout in real time
3. measure your fitness in 5 minutes
4. see how your running performance is developing)

But the entry level information the free app offers is more than enough to begin with.

FIT & FEEL
A very nice, comfortable and adjustable strap for all sizes. Easily put on and taken off. Easy to wash and maintain.

Note - The H6 version is Bluetooth only, syncs with the iphone app and doesn't have the analogue capability. So if you have a Polar watch, you won't be able to use it with the H6.

4.0 out of 5 stars ANDROID - YES IT IS COMPATIBLE, 26 Mar 2014
Mr. Daniel Williams "Dan W" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Read many reviews and realised after some time that all comments more than 2 months old are incorrect in this regard.
Polar Beat app is available in Google Play. That's the first clue. Went to a running shop and they were not sure. The box and packaging only mention iphone capability.

Ended up googling polar in the shop and polar site does specify it works on certain devices but needs to be a device running version 4.3. Had just purchased a galaxy note 2 and once I had manually upgrades I ting hink 3 times, the final one takes you to v4.3.

Wanted to mention the correct way of connecting to Polar Beat app as I got abit confused at first.

1. Sort out the band and put on wetting the sensor areas that will be next to you skin.

2. Turn on bluetooth on phone. Should you forget the app will prompt you when you start it.

3. Same as 2. for GPS.

4. Attach belt to chest, wetting sensor area that will be next to skin.

5. Attach sensor unit to belt.

6. Launch app and choose 'Settings' on front screen.

7. 5th option down is HR sensor. Click on it and then select 'Pair'

8. Switch 'Visibillity' to ON and select back button at the top twice

9. Bottom right hand square should now show your heart rate

10. Set the type of activity and hit 'Start'

11. In right hand bottom corner of the top section of the screen is a red triangle.

12. Click on it and select which of the 3 views you want to display.

13. Click onthe back button

14. Start running or whatever it is you are doing.

Assume polar will update the instructions when they update the packaging. Would be nice if polar sent me a new battery for the above help as mine as from the word go mine was showing as half empty even though it was fresh out the packaging....

5th Star held back until I used it properly but looks good so far.

Regards

Dan W

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 26 Dec 2013
My BMI was more than 30 (which means obese) when I started exercise and diet 6 months before. After a few months, during exercise, I was feeling a heavy heart. I spoke to my doctor and he said it could be because I am over straining my heart and suggested a heart rate monitor. So as always, I came to amazon and reading some great reveiws, decided to buy this product.

When I received this product, I had a feeling that the strap would become loose during exercise and it will fall off. But I have done several 15 kms running, weight training, 20 kms cycling etc etc and the strap and the sensor proved me wrong. My another worry was about my phone battery charge. I am using iphone 5 and for 1 hour 30 mins outdoor running, this would take 15-20% battery which I think is perfectly acceptable.

I am using polar beat app with this sensor which can be downloaded free from app store. During exercise, you will get very clear representation of distance covered, calories burned, pace and heart rate. In the free version of the app, you will not get all the features like benefit target, fat burned etc. Also you need to keep the phone in your hand to see the real time readings as you will not get voice updates. Hence I would suggest to buy the full version as it's very useful and works perfectly with this sensor. After two months and more than 60 hours with this sensor (along with a strict diet), I have lost 9 kg.

The battery life of the sensor it not great. After using this for around 35 hours, battery status showed "Half Full". So I will be changing the battery every 3 months. I wouldn't say this is poor, but compared to the other features this is offering, battery life could have been better.

I am very happy with this product and would definitely recommend. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about this product and I will try my best to help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Heart Rate Sensor for iPhone5, 6 Mar 2014
I can easily recommend Polar H7 because it is accurate and high quality heart rate sensor.

Ps. I waste 10 minute to get initial Bluetooth pairing done before I realized that you cannot pair sensor by using standard iPhone Buetooth 'setting menu' --- Bluetooth pairing has to be done under Polar Beat Application (free of charge).

1.0 out of 5 stars Great until it stopped working, 29 Jan 2014
This was an invaluable Aid in my preparation for the London Marathon, but after just two months it no longer functions. Very disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and works with gym equipment and phones, 26 Jan 2014
T. Kerby (Scotland) - See all my reviews
The H7 is an excellent heart rate strap if you are looking to combine indoor training on gym equipment with outdoor tracking on newer Bluetooth Smart phones. It will also work with older Polar watches that use their standard protocol (i.e. not W.I.N.D). Having the ability to monitor heart rate on a gym machine may seem useless when you most likely have your phone with you in the gym but it allows the use of the many heart rate interval based programmes the cardio machines offer. Using the strap with an older Polar watch allows tracking during swimming as they are one of the few straps that can transmit in water although the bluetooth won't be functional in this case. It also allows a wrist based heart rate view for running whilst Strava or similar is logging the exercise safely from a zipped pocket. Highly recommended!

ARRAY(0xb2b904a4)