Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.49

on 28 August 2014
excellent read. full marks!
on 20 March 2013
This is a really great read....an exploration of relationships entering around Leonie...who lives a solitary life in a wild environment surrounded by the few men who have shaped her
.... the shadow of her dead fathers expectations.....the relationship with her husband and its unraveling in the face of a rival....and Lord Tom.....an Indian with whom she shares an unusual bond. The discovery of a mummy in the river bank leads her on a journey of self awakening....that will shake her memories, her relationships and her future...forever. Set in a backdrop of rustic cabins, wild storms and the whispers of native American superstitions about death and the spirit world....this story was not to be put down
on 11 October 2013
I loved this book and could not put it down. I even re read bits afterwards, because I just didn't want it to end.
Set in Washington State in the 1800s, this is the story of Lea, the daughter of a man who collects indian artifacts to sell, and who also studies the local tribes.
The book is beautifully written, and the pace and tension build up as the book progresses. It is interesting from a historical point, the lives of these early settlers was so hard, but it is the story itself which draws you in.
This has to be one of the best books I have read this year, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys history and mystery.
on 22 August 2014
A real page turner.
on 24 September 2013
I purchased this book by accident, but for 99p, I thought it was probably going to be worth a read. This story was not at all what I expected - I thought it was going to be a spooky gothic backwoods horror story, but it unfolded into a complex and compelling story of hidden secrets, bones, clairvoyant dreams, and passion. As a male approaching retirement, I have no interest in reading love stories, but this clever story caught me in its meshes, before I realised what was happening. Good characters, good story, and the occasional surprise - plus bones, mystery, and strange dreams! Read it!
on 28 August 2013
Initially I found this book hard to get into. However, I kept reading and by the time I was half way through couldn't put it down. It carries messages in layers - the actual plot, and then messages about race and the place of women in the 19th century backwoods of America. I suspect some of the messages are meant to resonate with the treatment native Americans and others receive in present-day America. This is the first book I've read by this author; I'll now look for more.
on 6 September 2013
Beautifully constructed story about a time and culture that is long past. Essentially this is Leonie story. Equally it is also story about outsiders and secret; about another way of viewing & makinig sense of the world as Leonie begins to find her own identtiy; to discover and understand why at times her life does not fit in with what she thinks to be true. The prose if tight and evocative.Loved every minute of it as the pieces of the puzzel fell into place
by Carol .
on 4 September 2015
Good service
on 13 March 2013
Fabulous read - a book to disappear in. Great ending - would love to see this in film!! Really enjoyed the spirituality and Bibi character. I was waking in the night to read a couple of chapters and began to wonder if I was being called for too!!!!! Recommend this to everyone - first read of Megan's - looking forward to the next!
on 26 August 2014
A very intriguing story. Megan Chance could have made this book a best seller with some more thought. Her style of writing in this book is quite shallow and drawn out. Not enough suspense and definitely lacking in fear factor.
Shame that a good idea and plot was ruined.