Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 June 2012
What can I say to demonstrate how talented this singer songwriter from Brooklyn, New York is. Her style is one of smooth, easy, with a nod to country. Her songs are personal and relevant. The track 'Buildings and Treetops' is a great example and has received lots of UK radio airplay. Listen to the words, they will touch you. 'sirens' also another personal song re New York and 9/11.
There is not a weak track in my opinion. Put it on in the car, and after a couple of plays you will be hooked and a fan. I strongly recommend her first CD 'What Does It Take' as well. You will get an idea of what she is about at [...]
on 4 July 2012
The long-awaited follow up to "What Does it Take?", once again Miss Bryden has drawn from life-experiences to produce a collection of intelligently written and superbly performed songs. From the rootsy title track to the more country feel of " Couldn't Love You More", this talented artist draws inpiration from a wide variety of musical styles to produce her own unique sound. Her vocal quality is undeniable, she will both move you to tears and inspire,and she is ably assisted by excellent musicians and production ( not forgetting her own abilities on her vintage Gibson guitar).The first single from this album, "Buildings and Treetops" has received much radio play, it is definitely the most commercial track with its catchy, soaring chorus and lyrics to which many can relate. Please give the rest of this cd a listen, it will not disappoint as every song is a gem in its own right.
I hadn't heard any Nell Bryden when I heard the single, Buildings and Treetops on the radio, pre-release. Nell Bryden's voice sounds very similar to Annie Lennox with a similar rich deepness. I ordered the album in the hopes that the rest would be as good as the single. It is a really well compiled album. Most of the songs are of equal quality with a lot of variety in type. It was an excellent purchase and I listen to the whole album frequently as a background when I'm working.
on 21 June 2012
I heard this song on Steve Wright this afternoon on the radio and thought I was listening to a new Annie Lennox song! Brilliant clear and emotive voice and lyrics; I wish that I could have seen her live at Nottingham last night .
I definitely want to buy her new album "Shake the Tree"
on 22 June 2012
This latest album makes for some really absorbing "lighter listening". Now, by that I do NOT mean "Easy Listening". That is something else ( and not at all for me - as even a quick flick through my other reviews/ listmania should show soon enough).Nell's own vocals and acoustic guitar , supporting musicians and overall production are all first rate, no "fillers" nor any "mush".

To really "get" this album though, there are maybe a few things it helps to know first. Nell is a New Yorker who saw and heard 9/11 as it happened from her own windows(you might or might not guess as much, just from the third song, "Sirens")

Also, it may well be Nell is as well or better known over here on this UK shore of the ocean - at least if Amazon Reviews of her last album and You Tube "Stats" are anything to go by. These days it seems to be evermore the lot of musicians to need to tour wherever the live bookings happen to be , to "make things happen" .That also seems to explain how "Shake The Tree" came to be the title song on this album, along with a sense of separation ,almost homesickness, that flows through "Downtown Lullaby" among others.

The album as a whole cleverly but honestly interweaves a series of personal "break-up" songs (always trying to move on , never a "wallow")with reflections inspired by the wider world -primarily 9/11 and its consequences. The opener "Mercy On me" protests the Death Penalty and forced confessions in US "Justice":

"FIRST HEARD OF ...?."

Last Month May 2012, playing a solo opening support set in "Old" York UK . I never listen to Radio 2,so I have not yet got and can't compare this with her last CD "What Does It Take?", nor any before that.

"IF THIS IS FOR YOU, THEN ALSO....."

It's well worth checking out any album by fellow New Yorker Sharon Van Etten, or any by Marike Jager , or "Air" or "Pure Air" by Anneke van Giersbergen (her other albums are great too, only in a "rockier" vein)
on 6 August 2012
Absolutely love it. Such a soulful tone to her voice, a great variety of tunes and inspiring lyrics. Very pleased I discovered Nell Bryden.
on 7 May 2016
Very embarrassed to admit I have never heard of this lady, purchased this CD as a request for my sister and being nosey I looked it up on You Tube before it arrived. Totally gobsmacked at so much talent in one person, Having now read up her history a little I am a confirmed devotee. The songs are all written from the heart and sung with ( in my opinion) a perfect voice. I notice one or two on here have marked it as 1 or 2 star, philistines! I have never before owned a CD where I loved every single track, there are always a few weaker ones thrown in even by the best artists. This album breaks the mould. Buy it or like me borrow it and rip it to your mp3 player, you wont regret it. Now I read she is touring again later this year and guess who will be there?
on 27 February 2013
Saw Nell Bryden when she was on with Gary Barlow and thought she was fantastic! What a beautiful voice. I came straight home and ordered the album. I was not disappointed ! Listen to it all the time!
on 19 July 2013
I saw Nell Bryden support Jules Holland at the Royal Albert Hall in November 2012. I wasn't familiar with her name, but I did recognise a couple of tracks. I loved the whole set and straight away hinted that I'd like her album for Christmas. Lucky me, as Santa listened and it's played nearly all the time, it's my 'music to cook by' in the kitchen. Great stuff. A couple of tracks frequently cause a tear to form in my eyes, she must have lost someone she loved very much, as the words really touch your heart. I've just ordered her earlier album What Does It Take if it's half as good I'll love it.
on 3 January 2013
I saw Nell on the recent Duane Eddy tour and fell in love with her. I bought her album and single. This second CD surpasses everything before ... she deserves much greater recognition!