Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£16.14

Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Which as you would obviously infer from the title, is not very.

The "... for Dummies" of any subject matter is meant as an overview of a subject and can not go in to it in proper exam depth. If you're looking for a text to get you through your ITIL Foundation, then I would say this isn't it. Though it does make a good companion text, and is written by a clearly ITIL-passionate service manager, it simply doesn't go to the detail the official ITIL texts do. I didn't fall asleep reading this, so it can't have been, ITIL is some of the driest subject matter I have ever had to read as an IT professional.

So get this for you desk if you would like a good quick reference to your implementation of the ITIL framework. Don't rely on it to get you through the exam.
on 14 May 2012
I really enjoyed reading this book.

I didn't need to read the blurb to know that the author is an ITIL trainer, his explanations are clear and easy to understand and I could imagine that he was standing in front of me explaining difficult ITIL concepts in simple language. I suspect his training courses must be very effective.

ITIL for Dummies covers the whole of ITIL, including all the lifecycle stages, and all the processes, and it does this in a clear and easy to read format with lots of helpful examples.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
ITIL is a set of books published by the British Government that give guidance on best practice for managing IT services. It's often said that it's just common sense, and in a way that's true. The two important things about ITIL is (a) it has been developed by learning from other peoples' mistakes, so you don't need to make the same mistakes yourself, and (b) it has become a widely-adopted standard, so once you are familiar with its terminology, you can quickly adapt to how it has been adopted at different companies. It's flexible - you can use as much or as little of it as you want - and it can be used by pretty much any size of company, and any size of IT department. From a personal perspective, if you work in IT, you really ought to know about ITIL: a fair number of companies require their new hires to have ITIL Foundation Certification.

This book makes a decent attempt to summarise the five parts of the service lifecycle (strategy, design, transition, operation and continuous improvement). It's not as chatty as most "Dummies" books, and it uses jargon a fair bit, but it's clear that the author knows his stuff. Some of the graphics are taken directly from the official ITIL publications.

The part of ITIL I'm most interested in is Service Operation; this has a modest section that summarises everything I needed to know. For people just starting to think about implementing ITIL recommendations, there's a useful list of ten quick wins you can implement early on, to help show your organisation that they can benefit from applying some structure to their IT service management.

Don't be put off that this is a "Dummies" book: it's a decent textbook about the latest (2011) iteration of ITIL. I've read some really bad ITIL books; this is a lot better than most.
on 19 April 2012
ITIL is already well documented in the five substantial core volumes and a seemingly infinite amount of complimentary guidance; amongst the biggest difficulties that face people who are relatively new to the topic are knowing where to start and how to use and interpret the guidance. This book not only provides a good (and very comprehensive) overview of the framework, but, more importantly, provides realistic guidance (and even some instruction) on what to do, when to do it and what sort of skills are required to do it properly.

It is all presented in a clear and easy-to-understand format and is written in a very readable style. Examples used in the book are realistic, relevant, well thought out and easy to understand. Reading ITIL books is not normally classed under "recreation and relaxation" but the reader will spend an enjoyable few hours with this book as well as learning a lot of useful ways to turn ITIL theory into "your business" practice. And you don't need to be a Dummy to find it useful; it is more than 20 years since I passed my first ITIL Service Manager's exam and I managed to find much that will be of use to me as I continue practice that which ITIL preaches.
VINE VOICEon 29 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Working somewhere that ITIL is used, I know how painful it can make a process. Despite this I was keen to understand the principles behind it. The book does cover that.

However, in addition to this, an ITIL book would be more useful if you have examples of usage by someone who has solid experience implementing those systems and learning about its pitfalls and pain points, and here I got the impression that it was written more from a theoretical and training standpoint than by someone who has worked implementing those principles and seen, for real, what it's like to live with those implementations.

The author admits to being an ITIL trainer, so no doubt this is then covering the right kind of materials for any examination on the subject, and moreover it is probably about as in depth as you'll find a For Dummies book gets - the scope and depth cannot really be faulted. In that sense it's a pretty good book - detailed without being excessively so. I just don't like that it reads like a book written by a trainer (which it is) rather than an implementer. If you're ready to drink the kool-aid, fine. Otherwise, this won't necessarily convince you that ITIL is the way to go.
VINE VOICEon 13 June 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This books makes learning ITIL very easy. The explanations are short and to the point while covering enough material to give you all you need to understand the topic. It is written in bullet point form rather than long-winded paragraphs. There are also a lot of graphs and drawings that helps reinforce your understanding. Terms are defined concisely and clearly stated if it is an ITIL definition. You also get a lot of tips, examples and reminders in icons in order to make the learning more manageable. It gives examples such as creating a business case and doing a cost-benefit analysis.

The books maps well to the ITIL syllabus. However, I still think it is better to pair it up with another book for the examination as my experience is there are usually inadequacies in almost all text books.
The writing style makes it easy for you to quickly check something because this book is can be a good companion and part of your table as an IT Manager. It is full of best practices for IT Service Providers. I intend to implement most of it in my small business. As for how good it is for the exam, I will only know after taking the exam, so until then, I can't say, but it is clear this book will be very helpful in my preparation.

I recommend it unreservedly, and I hope you won't be disappointed.
on 16 September 2012
I was confused with all the ITIL jargon that the official ITIL manuals try to convey, this books simplifies the whole process. It provides an excellent introduction into ITIL. The author gives some tips along the way and a whole host of websites that you can browse to further your understanding of ITIL. Suddenly the official books don't look so daunting!

Excellent price considering the official manuals will set you back in excess of £200. The author does recommend you buy the official manuals (get your company to pay for them!).
VINE VOICEon 5 May 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was ITIL certified somewhen like 2008 when the company I worked for trained us and made us take the exam. So I am reasonably familiar with the subject matter. I have found this book covers the subject excellently, detailing the processes in a fine level of detail such that one would have enough to pass the exam.

Like any subject however we only really remember the parts we use everyday as a part of out work. I found that this book details and explains the parts I was less familiar with very well and I hoep to be able to bring these into my daily work practices as much as possible.

ITIL is a big subject and so this book is very wordy, more so that other "for dummies" books. The mix of diagram and text however in this book is about right, without too many distracting cartoons or humour (which I personnally find off putting in a technical book)

In summary this is a really good description of the ITIL processes and is recommended for newcomers and experienced people a like
VINE VOICEon 20 June 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A readable and practical guide, which sets out practices for IT service management that describes procedures, which combine tasks and checklists that are used by an organization for establishing competency.

It allows an organization to establish a baseline from which it can plan, implement, and measure. It is used to demonstrate compliance and to measure improvement. As reviewers have pointed out this guide uses non-convoluted language and is very reader friendly explaining core principles and parts of the service lifecycle. While this is my first introduction to the subject, as lay person I found instructive and realistically easy to follow.
VINE VOICEon 21 March 2013
I have the official ITIL books but this is an easier read. It uses a lot of the official diagrams for key points so you know its genuine information, but the explanations are more "user friendly". It doesn't have the sample exam questions that the official books do so you probably need both if you intend doing the foundation exam.