on 27 May 2012
I've had my A510 for 24 hrs and I can't believe how good it is !!! It was very easy to set up and was ready to use in a matter of just a few minutes. The tab looks and feels great, especially the textured back surface which makes it very comfortable to hold. The screen is crystal clear with very good viewing angles. Android 4.0.3 works really well compared to Honeycomb and the Tegra 3 processor is really quick. Battery life is brilliant, I've been using the tab for over 10 hrs on and off, and still have juice left!! The A510 isn't widely available in the UK yet but I think it represents good value for money. Overall - Brilliant.
55 comments25 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 June 2012
Excellent tablet! I steer clear of Apple products but wanted a tablet that is on par with the iPad without the limited memory and licencing and this is it.

I will mainly use the tablet for media whilst working away from home. The onboard memory is great and it also specifies that up to 32gb of extra storage can be added via Micro SD. This is untrue. . . . but in a good way! I purchased a 64gb Micro SDXC class 10 card in the hope it would work. A quick format to NTFS using my laptop and I now have almost 100gb of combined memory for my media.

Previous reports of the tablet becoming warm on the right hand side are correct but I don't think that it's that excessive or uncomfortable.

The battery life is great, I've been using it for about 10 hours and it's still showing 30% remaining.

I would recommend this tablet
11 comment18 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2012
After a week I have been impressed with this technology. No it does not have an LED screen which does reflect the light but I am still happy with it. There appears to be a problem with Skype as there is a message which says that this device is not registered nor can I obtain video on it so far.
Why did Acer out the main USB (via an adapter lead) at the bottom? This means the plug prevents it sitting in a case easily with an integral keyboard plugged in. This applies to watching a film from a portable hard drive as the lead would be hard against you if it is on your lap. Big mistake.

For the price it represents good value and feels solidly built with a battery I have yet to charge again. I do have the screen on high sensitivity as it is not as responsive as my Galaxy S or HTC One.....maybe because it is bigger? Well done Acer !

UPDATE
After three weeks one of the speakers stopped working but no problem as the Amazon returns system slipped smoothly into gear and I had a replacement very quickly, well done Amazon. Highly recommend using the drop box App. between your Android mobile phone, this tablet and your PC. However, one little problem which I will ask on the forum. It no longer plays BBC iPlayer as it keeps asking to download Flash Player Version 11 which I have done...but still asks for it...strange. No problem with the old one.

Update 2
The App. BBC I player appears not to work properly for this tablet. Just go to the iPlayer website and......it works!
on 15 June 2012
I was looking for my first Android based tablet and i found this and the Asus transformer prime, and after reading several reviews i got the impression this was the more well built and solid product.
First of all the feel of this table is very good. It feels light enough to hold for a long time and the build quality is faultless. The screen is also very good just the right size and the quality if fairly good, its just like watching a 720p movie; but the best thing about this table has to be the battery life, ive had it for a week and ive only charged it twice after some moderate use.

Some of the things i don't like about this table is the screen responsiveness, if you tap the screen too quickly sometimes it wont recognize your touch at all and you'll need to tap again slowly. But the worst thing is that it feels like it could have done with a little more work on it because some of the preinstalled apps tend to crash on a regular basis and every now and then it freezes while browsing.

Overall however, im very happy with this table; it does everything i wanted it to do very well, which was browsing and watching films.
(if you get the right codecs from the play store this will most file formats)
77 comments6 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 August 2012
just bought mine in july this year and can not fault it in any way, decided to get a good tablet around the £400 mark, but will always stear clear of any apple products such as i phones, i pad etc so i decided on the acer iconia A510 olympic edition, brilliant for playing games , movies and viewing your holiday photographs, e-mails, even been trying skype type apps and they work ok. this bit of kit in my opinion blows the i-pad and a lot of others out of the water . forgot to mention that the recording and camera is also very good .
on 13 July 2012
I've had this tablet for about 3 weeks now, so time for a review, I think.
I have very little bad to say about this device, so I'll get the negatives out of the way. I wish it had come with more accessories; the female USB adapter isn't very useful, a male USB would have been more use allowing me to plug the tablet into my desktop PC, as would a HDMI out. And how about a screen protector while we're on the subject? Or even a screen cleaning wipe. Rather than wasting money on the rights to put a pointless olympic logo on the back of this otherwise nicely designed tablet, I'd appreciate more useful kit when I'm throwing down £350 on a piece of premium tech. My only other issues: I find I keep bringing up the clock/notifications popup in the corner by accident. I also haven't figured out how to scroll within text boxes when I'm commenting on websites, or select sections of text to cut and paste. Sometimes it can be awkward to accurately position the cursor in a line of text when I'm typing. But these are minor irritations (and might just be me missing something!) Yes, it gets quite hot at times bit it's not uncomfortable to hold.

Actually, it feels great to hold, grippy back, not too plastic-y. I have small girl-hands and pathetically weak wrists and I was a bit worried the A510 might be a bit too heavy to hold for long periods - as an ebook reader, for example. But it's really comfortable. Out of the box it was easy and intuitive to figure out. It's my first tablet, I've never even had a touchscreen phone and I never had to refer to the manual (which is downloadable only). Boots up pretty quick and runs fast. Picks up wifi all around the house. It came pre-loaded with a bunch of apps, about least half of which are worth keeping, I found.

I chose the A510 because of it's quad-core processor and latest version of the android OS, long battery life and expandable memory. I'm using it mostly for drawing, web-surfing, ebook reading and typing notes, all of which it's doing fine at. I've been casually gaming, but I'd like to see more games that make the most of the tegra3 processor. Haven't taken a great deal of photos. The camera is OK, comparable with any decent phone camera. Inbuilt speakers are also adequate for my untrained ear.

The only thing that would really make the A510 better for me would be an HD screen. Yeah, I know, I want it all! But realistically, I think it's a great tablet and will hopefully last me a good few years. My next step is to figure out how to connect it to my TV and find a good protective case for it.

Will update this review if I encounter any issues. :)
VINE VOICEon 13 November 2012
Specification
Excellent. The processor and graphics card are amazing and the device is very fast. You wouldn't expect a tablet to be able to play games let alone 3d games which are about Playstation 2 standard. You can expand the memory (already very large to 64gb with the sdhc slot, it has Android 4 which is still very up to date (Jelly bean is only 4.1). It has USB and works with external HDD and memory sticks. The amazing spec and price is the reason I went for it.

In Use
It is fast and responsive. There are no jumps during transitions and multiple programs run alongside just fine. It does get a bit hot during heavy use.

Price
Price is fine and the specification is excellent for this price. This is still one of the fastest tablets out there and is almost as fast as the Samsung Note II which is the fastest processor in any portable device I think.

Format
The tablet is a great size and feels nice in your hands. It is smooth and well built. I think part of the slimness is due to the screen which they have gone all out to make slim but at the expense of people's health.

Screen
Which brings me to the reason this gets 2/5 stars. The screen was terrible on my eyes. I could only use the tablet for about 5 minutes at a time, which is no good for a Youtube or Ted video. It is so bright and reflective it's like a mirror. I bought a screen cover for it from Atfolix but I still couldn't use it and with the screen cover the screen looked really bad. After using it I would have to use eye drops and bathe my eyes if I used it for too long and they felt dry and itchy.

It's a bit like using your TV but at a distance of 10 inches away which you can imagine would hurt a lot. A device which cannot be used at all cannot get more than 2 stars so I think I'm actually being generous! This kind of screen is not suitable for a tablet or smartphone and they have to develop better technology. Part of the reason the screen is so bad is due to the fact that I am Autistic and sensitive to light and sound to some degree but I think it would hurt anyone's eyes.

I sold the unit in the end which I didn't want to have to do but couldn't avoid it.
22 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 April 2013
Have just switched from a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000 with WiFi & 3G as I wanted more processing power and a bigger screen, with a Micro SD card and the ability to connect to TV. After a lot of research and looking around, I chose this and am so pleased that I did (especially as I got it for only £199 in as new condition - ex display model).

Reviews that I have read, do not rate the screen, but to be honest I don't see anything at all wrong with it! My music videos and movies look and sound (thanks to in built dolby) amazing.

Thanks to the quad-core processor I can now play more adventurous games and even 3D ones, I can also watch multiple video files (at the same time!) thanks to apps like "stick it" and "super video" and all without the black screen of death (frozen tablet syndrome).

In fact I have now stopped using my laptop at home as this is more powerful and with 32Gb of onboard memory + a 32Gb Micro SD card has more memory than my old laptop!

This tablet ticks all the boxes, unlike Google Nexus (no micro sd), kindle fire HD (no micro sd and limited access to apps), apple ipad (too expensive, no added storage and not an android!), etc....

In short, would I recommend this to everyone? YES, go get one, you won't regret it (and no I don't work for Acer, I am just really pleased with my purchase :o)
on 21 April 2013
Further to earlier reviews, this piece of hardware is superb.

I have had the 10.1 inch Acer A510 tablet for a couple of weeks now, having been bought as a larger screen version of my Nexus 7; they both have the same Nvidia Tegra 3 Quad core chip, same 1Gb ram & the same 1280 x 800 screen resolution which IMO is more than adequate for watching films etc.

The quad core processor & 1Gb RAM handle all tasks easily and I've yet to find anything to cause it to stutter. It handles video playback, games, bookreading & web browsing via wi-fi effortlessly.

The unit is quite heavy but not overly so & I think think this is down to the large capacity battery which gives a fantastic 9+ hours of constant use.

I can confirm that a 64Gb Micro SD card, formatted to NTFS (using a computer/laptop) works & will give almost 100gb of combined media memory.

In summary, unless you absolutely need a 1080p resolution screen, or want an Apple product then you will struggle to find a good reason not to get one of these tablets. Get one, you wont be disappointed.

This is the best bit of technology I've bought and is in use daily.
on 7 October 2012
The Acer is a perfect business tablet. The USB connection makes it suitable for all my work presentations and accepts almost every type of media I throw at it. Furthermore, the ability to print directly via wireless means that I don't have to mess about with removable media and self emails like my work colleagues. Brilliant!