5.0 out of 5 stars excellent sound
Published on 27 Jun. 2013 by steve

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough.
Published 18 months ago by Bruce

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent sound, 27 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 Sound Card (PCI Express 1.0, Smart Volume Normalizer, Xear 3D Virtual Speaker Shifter, Magic Voice) (Accessory)
been on two minds to buy a sound card since I bought a set of bose speakers which did not sound any different to my cheap speakers I had. anyway my sound on my computer did not work and therefore was forced into buying the sound card , looked at the reviews and this one shone out from the rest ,price wise as well. on receiving the card I was sceptical but once installed I couldn't believe the difference the card made compared to my on-board sound , the clarity was superb and crisp clear sound. money well spent. made me realise how poor quality the pcs are from new and I am now looking to upgrade my graphic card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound Card, 20 Feb. 2015
I haven't bought a dedicated sound card for years as once they started to be incorporated onto MB I couldn't see the point. I have had PCs since the first 286 IBM machine came out, my first sound card was a sound blaster as they were the best and probably about the only make available at the time. I have bought this Asus card to fit on an Asrock extreme 6 MB to use with my Kingston Hyper cloud MK 1 headphones and not only was it easy to install the difference is significant both hearing and speaking in part due to the card having its own headphone amplifier and also in part due to the software which is actually pretty good. Installing was easy and everything worked first time icluding the front output. The card automatically switches to the headphone when I plug them into the front socket otherwise they run the Altec Lansing 2 speaker system with sub woofer and once again the output and quality is much improved both games and music have greater clarity, no white noise even when the headphones or speakers are put on full volume. Using the headphones and soundcard with gaming is also a marked improvemnent giving you a greater idea in FPS where the enemy is and adding to the immersivness of the games. Driving games are better allowing you to hear your own car and cars close to you a lot clearer and if they are trying to overtake on the inside or outside. All in all I am very impressed with the card, the install and the software. I used the unified drivers and these have been faultless. Next time I build a PC I will without a doubht look at putting in a dedicated sound card Im also pretty sure they will be better than an in-line USB sound card as come with the Hyperx Cloud MK2 headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus Xonar Sound Card, 22 Nov. 2014
So I went looking around if i needed a sound card and got a TON of bad feedback about them including some... strong language at why I asked the question, but I got one any way.

Delivery was not a very effective route, First Poland then Germany then to London, The package went around the world but thankful not in 90 days! I did get it in 4 working days but I think there could be a better route it could take.

This device performance was better than what my motherboard did, Not only did it fix the bad quality with my speakers but it also made loud sounds more cleaner!

My motherboard is a cheep ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Headphones both Sony 24ohmz and Skull candy's 32ohmz

So as you can see i have not got a very powerful headphone setup but I did notice the performance difference

Hope this helps.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough., 1 Feb. 2014
This is quite a good sound card, they can be buggy as a lot of people including myself have received broken cards. Amazon replaced it and it has been working well since. The sound is great and so is the surround sound, my only problem is when i am gaming I get a buzzing sound through my headset, I have tried it with 3 different types of headphones, moved my graphics card an sound card further away from each other but still no matter what I get a buzzing sound. Anyway i am only using this until I can buy a better one, so yeah it is quite good for its price but not something you would permanently use ( for me anyway).

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, 4 Dec. 2013
Ok so I've had this soundcard for a day now, and I'm fairly impressed. . . for £20 you can't really complain.
I have a Maximus V Gene board, and I was hoping this would work in the PCI-E X4 slot, but it only works in the PCI-E X16 slot, which now locates it directly beneath my GPU
It's not a huge issue as the card doesn't take up much airflow space, but not ideal.

I was hesitant to buy one as I was pleased enough with the onboard realtek, but this does sound abit crisper, speakers I'm using are creative T20s, I also have Sehnniser HD 25s, which have quite a high impedance (70 ohm) which is why I bought this card, to help boost the sound and also a TB headset, which I thought it would help but it sounds worse tbh, (it's quite a rubbish headset so I might get a new one). . . anyway I've downloaded the Uni drivers for this, not the official ones from Asus

Final thoughts: great for the money, but as someone else mentioned, it is a budget entry level card, I will probably be replacing it in 6 months, but it's worth £20

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product. Terrible Driver, 30 Jan. 2014
The product is great, I noticed a difference in sound quality through my headphones and my speakers. Deeper Bass, and better med to high frequencies. This helps when I play things like CoD.

The only problem with the device, is the UI for the driver and card controls is awful, I actually hate it, It keeps switching to FP headphones all the time whenever I turn my PC off. When playing music, it comes out of my speakers and my headphones at the same time. Yet one is Line out and the other is Optical.
It's not picking up the 5.1 from my headphones, I configured it briefly for about an hour and then it went again.
It's un-intuitive, controlling, and it's generally a horrible experience.

As for the actual product, it's amazing, but don't expect to understand the driver straight away, or even after a month or two, It's just a right pain.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT the sound card you are looking for., 9 Jan. 2015
This was advertised as a 5.1 sound card with a spdif optical output, but what they don't tell you is that asus do not support digital 5.1 output, so the obvious question is: why the hell does the driver NOT support digital 5.1 output?

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what i was expecting but still good sound, 5 Jan. 2013
I bought this to plug into my home theatre system and because it was fairly cheap with good reviews. I am left disappointed however as the spdif port looks to only support 2 channels instead of the 5.1 i was expecting (my home theatre system only has one spdif and one aux input). The sound is still better than my onboard was and for £20 i guess i can live with it until i can afford to upgrade to a higher end card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way better than on board audio, 27 Feb. 2013
After using on board audio for quite some time i decided to upgrade to a dedicated sound card and it was worth it everything sounds much clearer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that good, software even worse, 8 Oct. 2012
I've been looking for a sound card to replace my ageing Creative X-Fi Music card. I was on a budget so after research on the Internet I came across the Xonar DGX a while back and was interested in it due to the Headphone AMP and the fact that you can plug your front panel audio connectors into this card. I read about many people complaining that the output from the front panel header was quieter than if you had to plug directly into the soundcard, I found this to be completely true, it's not a massive problem but it is something to take into consideration.

There are a few people on the Internet saying that the software and drivers for this card are shocking, once again this is true. The software that controls the card is not good enough, unfortunately the driver is even worse than the software, I wouldn't mind if the software is bad but the driver needs to be good, this is not the case with this card.

The reason I wanted to replace my Creative card is due to it crackling and popping in BF3. After installing the Xonar DGX I found that the sound in BF3 was mediocre and bad compared to my Creative X-fi, after about half an hour of playing I found that I started having echoing problems in BF3, all the gunfire was echoed and extremely annoying. I tried applying alternative drivers that you can find on the Internet, however it involved making fundamental Windows system changes just to get the driver installed which was a bit of a headache.

After a lot of research on the Internet turns out the cracking and popping noises I was hearing using my Creative X-Fi and the echoing on the Asus XONAR DGX is due to dpc latency. I downloaded the dpc latency checker (found anywhere on the Internet) and noticed that I had very high dpc latency, I found that turning off certain devices in system manager the latency went down a bit, not enough though. Even though I managed to get the latency sorted out a bit the sound in BF3 simply was not good enough using DGX, I tried every setting in the XONAR panel to no avail. Eventually after a few days of struggling I ripped the XONAR out and put my X-fi back in again and was very happy with the results. I could clearly hear a massive difference in the quality of sound in game. I do still suffer from crackling in game however as I stated before this is due to the high dpc latency my motherboard suffers from.

On a budget this card is good, however not good enough for gaming. If you have onboard sound with a motherboard that is not older than 3 years I would say you safe just to keep using that, if you think you going to get upgrade your onboard sound with this card you are not going to experience much of an upgrade, I suspect you would have to buy two or three models up from this card.