‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on., 12 Mar 2014
J. HARRISON (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC USD Lens for Canon (Accessory)
Anyone into their photography will know it's all about compromises.

I have two young children and since they were born I've wanted to capture the best photos I can. They will only be children once and they grow up so very quickly.

Children move fast, so I needed a high shutter speed, they will be indoors as much as outside so I needed a large aperture and they will be in small rooms one minute and outside the next, so I also needed a flexible focal length i.e. a zoom. A seemingly impossible task.

I started off with a 50mm prime, which is great for low light and fast shutter speed, but is restrictive on focal length and also means working with a shallow depth of field (so one eye will be in focus but the other won't).

I then bought a (good consumer) zoom which has the flexible focal length but is not good for fast shutter speeds in low light.

I bought some more primes as they give superb image quality and are great in low light. But swapping them over every time the focal length I needed changed was cumbersome and I kept missing photo opportunities.

So I upgraded my camera to something that has great low light performance - a used 1D mark IV. It was a lot of money to part with but they will only grow up once.

The 1D IV is great but even at ISO12800 there are still some times, school plays for example, when even this was not quite enough to get the shutter speeds I needed with the zoom lens I had. So I borrowed a friend's Canon 24-70mm f2.8L for a few weeks. It's truly a great lens with a zoom AND a large aperture but it's big (more so with the huge lens hood) heavy and expensive (c900 second hand from reputable on-line retailers). Plus there's not many pristine used examples left these days, most have had hard, professional lives.

The Canon 24-105 f4 L is smaller, lighter and cheaper but its aperture is not much larger than my consumer zoom (smaller at the wide end even) and being an f4 aperture the background blur (bokeh) isn't that dramatic.

So I gave this Tamron lens a try. In short this is it; the one. Why?

It's a zoom so it gives me flexibility from wide to short telephoto - perfect for both children's parties and portraits.

It's a constant f2.8 so the widest aperture available in a zoom lens.

The image quality is superb. Sharper wide open (i.e. at f2.8) than the Canon 24-70 f2.8L across the whole focal length and the colours and contrast are just as good as the Canon.

Great bokeh because it's a f2.8 so my photos have that popping 3D effect.

Focusing is spot on (no micro-adjustment required for my copy) silent and fast. The only time I have an out of focus shot is when I don't place the focus point correctly. Focus speed is perfectly fast enough for active kids.

It's 125 grams lighter than the 24-70L (weight is important to me as the 1D IV weighs 1400 grams without a lens) but the build quality is still very good and the lens feels substantial.

The lens hood is far more modest and seems to work just as well (unlike the Canon 24-70 f2.8L the Tamron hood fits on the extending barrel and not the lens casing itself so it doesn't need to be big).

It's an 82mm filter size ring but has a 5mm bezel around the front element so I used a 82mm to 77mm step down filter ring (under 4 from eBay) with my 77mm Hoya Pro-1 Digital Protector filter. This saved me 35+ on a new 82mm filter.

It has weather resistance in case I get caught out in the rain.

And last but not least it has vibration compensation (also known as image stabilisation) which is something not available on the Canon 24-70mm 2.8L. While this won't stop subject movement, such as fast moving children, it does mean for static or nearly still subjects I can get sharp shots at 1/50th second or slower (the slowest sharp shot I've had with this lens at 70mm is 1/10th of a second) with means an ISO three stops lower than if I had a lens with no stabilisation. That translates into being able to shoot at ISO1600 instead of ISO12800 which makes a massive difference.

Now I am able to get great photos in almost any situation - small room or outside, bright or dark.

It's a big investment (more so with the camera aswell) but if like me you resent missing priceless moments more than you resent a very empty wallet this lens (matched with a high ISO performance camera) is most definitely the way to go. Worst case use an interest free credit card to buy the kit and then transfer the balance every 18 months for a nominal cost. Then when the children have grown up sell the kit and pay off (a large chunk) of the balance!

5.0 out of 5 stars All round great lens, 24 July 2013
R.E. Viewer (Scotland, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC USD Lens for Canon (Accessory)
I will compare this lens to the popular but far cheaper, EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM and the more expensive EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, both by Canon. These are two that I own have have used a lot.

Build / construction

The Tamron feels solid, the plastic is higher quality than the Canon 28-135 by far, and does not creak or creep. Has a lens barrel lock and smooth but firm feel to the focus and zoom rings. Plastic hood included and secures into place with a solid click. The lens cap is better than Canon's, having centre pinch ability. This does not feel quite as good as my metal 100-400, but many other 24-70 lenses are also mostly or all plastic.

Autofocus & VC

Much testing has been done on the autofocus speed, and after seeing some reviews online I was worried this might be a tad slower than say my 100-400 L glass. Not so. As far as I can tell without measuring, the autofocus is as fast and near silent. That said, very fast moving subjects are probably not this lenses' strongest point. The VC (Vibration Control) seems to work very well indeed. Noticeably good. I can take a useable shot at 70mm and only 1/6 sec. Impressive VC. It also is very quiet.

Image quality

The big issue. Well despite the online video reviews clearly showing the Canon 24-70 II as being sharper in the corners and with less distortion, the reality for most people this seems like a non-issue. This lens to me seems sharp and works well even wide open at f2.8. I have uploaded an example shot which has had only very minor editing. Of course it is sharper when stopped down, but they all are. Image quality to me compared to kit lenses, the Canon 28-135 and Canon 100-400 L is very good indeed. Close inspection of certain areas of bokeh, namely lights, produces an onion ring effect, which is not too pleasing. This is a fairly minor effect though and overall not a huge issue.

Why buy?

I considered among other things the following points:

1) Buying non-Canon lens. I had never done so before and was worried about quality
2) Buying the 24-105 f4.0 from Canon
3) Buying the 24-70 f2.8 II from Canon

Conclusions:

1) In this case buying non-Canon has not been an issue, the Tamron is high quality.
2) At the time of this review the Canon 24-105 is about the same price as the Tamron but it is only F4.0. Bear in mind f/2.8 lets in TWICE the light of f/4.0.
3) The Canon 24-70 f2.8 II is about a thousand pounds more expensive than the Tamron. It also does not have I.S. A 70mm lens without I.S sounds like something I don't want. I.S also help a lot if you video.

Pros:

- The only 24-70 f2.8 lens with VC (IS)
- Great price compared to others
- Five year European warranty when you register online
- Great overall image and build quality

Cons:

- Onion ring effect with certain out of focus areas
- Focus speed tad down on the more expensive Canon 24-70 f2.8 II
- More distortion and vignetting than the Canon 24-70 f2.8 II

Neutral:

- Zoom ring goes in the opposite direction to that of Canon, if you are used to that
- Overall a large and fairly heavy lens

I will update the review in due course if anything changes, but so far the Tamron is an impressive lens, and all things considered about the best 24-70 about.

***UPDATE AFTER 10 MONTHS***

Everything I said in the review still stands. Great lens, my most used by far and has worked for thousands of shots and lots of situations without fault.

Saved myself a nice grand over the Canon and am very happy with the decision.

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile low light zoom, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC USD Lens for Canon (Accessory)
I've been shooting with the canon system for the last eight years and in that time I've concentrated most of my money on building a collection of good glass. I used to be a bit of a canon L lens snob to be honest, but a good experience with a sigma 50 1.4 led to the purchase of a sigma 851.4 which is probably one of sharpest lenses that I own.

When I recently realised that I needed a 24-70 2.8 for weddings, my new found respect for third party lenses meant instead of automatically buying the canon version I starting hunting around for reviews of all suitable contenders.
After months of agonising research I finally decided on the tamron 24-70 VC USD.

After using it now for several weeks I can honestly say I am over the moon with it. My copy is sharp, good colour, quiet, fast focussing and with that amazing VC technology. While pixel peeping might reveal the canon to be technically a bit better, I doubt that's its anything I could see in a print, certainly not at the sizes I typically print. The VC is a revelation in a zoom this fast and in my opinion at the moment it's the best solution for general low light work.

After using this and my 24-105 IS I can honestly say I won't buy another lens unless it has image stabilisation built in.

Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars and the winner is...., 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC USD Lens for Canon (Accessory)
It took me a LONG time to decide which standard 2.8 zoom to go for. Over the past year I've looked at Canon's 17-55 (I shoot a 7d), Mark 1 24-70L, Sigma's 17-50 and Tamron's 17-50 vc - all in great detail! I finally decided to go with this lens based on sample images, video reviews, the ability to move to full frame in the future without selling all my gear, and ultimately the price. I am not disappointed. Sure I loose out on the wide end in respect to the 17-** lenses but over the last couple of years shooting weddings I've only ever really needed wider for huge group shots, in which case i just switch to a sigma 10-20. I've used Canon L lenses in the past and love their build quality but this Tamron did not disappoint! I'd even say that the barrel that extends seems even sturdier than that of the Canon 24-105.

I've currently had 2 days shooting with this lens and Image quality is fantastic! Sure, wide open it's not as pin sharp as my Canon 60mm 2.8 macro, but considering I'm comparing a zoom to a prime I knew this would be the case.

All in all i'm very happy with this lens. Bang for your buck it's a no brainer (weather sealing and (IS) VC... Yes please!) I know a few people criticize it for being excessively heavy, but i think it's spot on. The zoom ring isn't a fluid as that of the Canon L lenses and overall i guess it's just not as refined, but again I feel this Tamron has a very reassuring and positive action to it and considering Mark 1 24-70Ls still sell for around 1000 it's still a damn sight cheaper.

I hope somewhere in this mess of ramblings there is a fair review and explanation of why I chose this over the competition. I do wish I could have found a shop less than 150 miles away that sold this lens and would have let me try it out first but it wouldn't have changed the outcome. This is a cracking lens and it seems bad copies are a rarity (The first one delivered to me is the one I'm keeping) so my advice would be to buy in confidence and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Lens, 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC USD Lens for Canon (Accessory)
Just can't praise this lens enough.
Moved up to this price bracket for a lens to go with my Canon EOS 6D.
Won't go into the technical details as they are covered by professionals in the various photo web/magazine reviews.
I chose this lens based on the various reviews and its price, it does not disappoint.
Sharp, quite focusing and quick. The f2.8 lens lets in lots of light and gives great shallow depth of field when used appropriately.
Manual focusing is also nice and smooth without too much rotation from one extreme to the other.
One smal criticism is the lens hood, which is a bit tough to get on and off. I wouldn't knock off any points for this though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tamron 24-70, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC USD Lens for Canon (Accessory)
In many ways this is a great lens. On my 5d III the range is good (identical to the canon standard zoom for full frame bodies). The VC - not provided on the Canon 24-70mm - works very well. I tried this at a charity fashion shoot under stage lighting and it was great. However, following a few other tests, I decided it wasn't quite sharp enough (when images were viewed at 100%) and I returned it..

During a trial period, I enjoyed using this lens and if you want a versatile, use-anywhere in any conditions lens, then this is for you but if you're a pixel-peeper it might just fall short of the mark for you.

By the way, I had the Canon 24-70mm L (mark I) coupled with a 5d ii body, and while it was good at the longer range of the zoom it was terrible at the wider range (vignetting and CA were really bad) and I'd say this Tamron is a better lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice lens, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC USD Lens for Canon (Accessory)
At first i wasn't sure but now i have used it for a while i love it, very sharp and feels beautifully balanced on my Canon 5D mkii. Some people say its heavy , yes, its chunky and solid but i dont have a problem with it and i am female with Arthritis in my hands. Its just oozes quality and compares well to my * L * Canon lenses .

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good so far, 30 Aug 2013
Geoffrey Foale "Crustacean" (S. Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC USD Lens for Canon (Accessory)
To be honest, I had always associated Tamron with budget priced lenses so was surprised to see this lens being compared directly against high price Canon L alternatives.

My Canon 24-105 L had stopped working, after about 3 years, so I was searching around while deciding what to do. I wasn't necessarily looking for the cheapest option.

After reading a number of reviews I decided to purchase the Tamron, although still with some trepidation!

After a couple of weeks use, it seems fine.

Yes it is all plastic, but high grade impact resistant plastic and most metal based lenses have plastic working parts anyway.

The zoom does work the other way from Canon lenses. But the Tamron rotation actually seems more logical to me.

After a few tests, I find F2.8 to be unacceptably soft particularly at the corners. Although many lenses suffer a little when used at their extremities.

By F4 everything looks a lot better. And continues to F16 where there is a fraction of softness creeping in. Better in the centre than the edges.

Most of my shooting is in the F6.3 to F11 range where the lens gives excellent results.

Comparing 70 mm at F4 against my Canon 70-200 F4 L lens the Tamron is far superior; although possibly not a fair test.

AF is quick and quiet. The VC stabilisation works fine. I even tried shooting on a tripod with the VC on (not recommended) but never found any problems.

The lens hood is firm and easy to attach. I find many hoods easily get cross threaded then jam.

In short, as far as I have used the lens, everything looks good. But if you want a lens to specifically shoot sharp at F2.8, I would suggest looking for something else; probably not a zoom, as most zooms do suffer somewhat at their extremities.

For me, 70 mm tends to be a bit limiting compared with my previous 24-105 mm, but other people probably want a little more at the other end (like 18 mm)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tamron 24 - 70mm VC Di USD, 31 July 2013
S. Little - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC USD Lens for Canon (Accessory)
Excellent. I have avoided using third party lenses since I discovered how much sharper Canon L series lenses were compared to my Sigma lenses (now sold on). Wanted a 24 - 70 F2.8 lens to fill the gap and probably would have bought the new Canon L version if it had IS (or VC as Tamron call it). I would have regretted it I think though because this lens is pretty flawless! Excellent sharpness in the centre (on my Canon 5D Mk 3) going a little soft at the edges but you get this on nearly all lenses, A little barrel distortion and darkening of the corners at F2.8 but by F4.0 this lens is sharp! Only two grips, one being a Canon user, the Zoom ring turns opposite to Canon lenses and the zoom is a little rough compared to L series Lenses. Other than that I would recommend this lens without hesitation! Half the price of the Canon equivalent, VC included and the cheapest place I could find a genuine EU / UK product was on Amazon. Arrived next day by DPD (even though I had free super saver delivery) so no complaints at all! Go and buy this lens, you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value for money standard zoom, 23 April 2013
This review is from: Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC USD Lens for Canon (Accessory)
Solid built and excellent sharpness. Only 24-70 with stabilisation. Canon 24-70 costs more than double the price of the Tamron and it is not stabilised. They are on par for sharpness even though the canon has less distortion and vignetting at 24mm.
Highly reccomended.