5.0 out of 5 stars Packed With Knowledge!
Published on 21 Jun 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Power Haggling
Published 10 months ago by clunk

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed With Knowledge!, 21 Jun 2001
By A Customer
As you read Roger Dawson's now-classic book, you'll find yourself nodding your head saying, "Those guys used that gambit against me last week." And then you will say, "Never again!" This book is a rarity: A "Secrets of" book that actually provides you with useful tactics that you can employ in daily life and business. In fact, the knowledge you gain from this book will come in just as handy in everyday situations, like buying a car or setting your kid's allowance, as it will when your business' survival is at stake. While the secrets themselves can be reduced to common-sense approaches, many are intuitively brilliant, like the advice to psychically flinch when you hear the other side's first offer. We at getAbstract.com recommend Dawson's insider insights to all readers, because everyone can benefit by negotiating a better deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ONLY book about negotiating you'll EVER need!!!, 7 April 2001
By A Customer
Roger Dawson IS "The Master". This book is absolutely BRILLIANT! (And I really mean it.) In the book you'll learn virtually all of the strategies, tactics and skills required for successful "Powerful" negotiating in any given situation - and you'll gather a load more info about other thigs as well; such as acquiring a winning personality, reading other people and building confidence. Apart from the book being jam-packed with info and tips, it's well written and laid-out, and dead easy to read. It's so presented that you retain the contents without difficulty. All the knowledge is first-hand and has been tried and tested on the battlefield by Mr Dawson himself. (In the wrong hands this book could be dangerous!) You might think at first that some of the material is what you already know - and some of it you probably do - but stay with it and you'll realise that even if you are aware of some, you've probably not been applying it properly. But there is much in the book that you won't know and it'll save you an awful lot of time, provide shortcuts and help save some disappointments. This book has helped me tremendously (and so has Mr dawson's other books). Mr Dawson is a true professional and it's really worthwhile checking out his other publications as well. Look, I could go on forever praising this book but there just isn't the time nor the space here to do so (there's not even enough stars either here to give it an even higher rating that it deserves). Get the book, study it, try out and practise the material. If you do it diligently there's no reason why you cannot succeed. You won't need another book on negotiating - this is the only one you'll ever need. Go Get It Today!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Power Haggling, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Secrets of Power Negotiating: 15th Anniversary Edition (Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator) (Kindle Edition)
to be fair I have only read the first 25% maybe it gets better later. The approach recoemended appears more like how to optimise haggling eg ask for much more than you expect and then come down to a mid point, or keep silent when an offer is made, so called gambits. The focus tends to be on real estate purchasing, and in business there is normally more focus on value and external praxis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Handfull Book, 4 Sep 2013
I have read a lot of Negotiations Books til now,regarding to all I would recomend only this one! Superb Pratical Knowledge

5.0 out of 5 stars Win-Win Awareness, 28 May 2013
The point of the book is a search for the win-win situation and outcome.
When we negotiate we're usually standing on the opposite banks, trying to win the other party over. Yes, even if we're somehow aware we're going to end up with a compromise.
Mr. Dawson shows all the technique you'll need to make it through the process, not leaving out the important preparations. Most importantly, he shows how to avoid conflicts by recognizing the moves of your counterpart. He constantly warns against using the negative negotiation techniques, but shows it to learn and recognize it, and defend yourself on time. It actually helped me closing a big deal that was (as usual) highly stressful under the time pressure. If I wouldn't apply the procedure from the book, I'd flunk it.

The knowledge can save you a lot of aggravation not only in 'big' deals in your professional or personal life, but also in daily interactions with the people around you. At the end of the day - we're constantly negotiation with our surroundings, aren't we? ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and to the point, 15 Feb 2014
The book is short and does not give you much to work with, but it is a good starting point for anyone who is just beginning with sales.

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time and money, 10 Jan 2014
Ok, lt me start by saying that obviously, one can learn something from everything one reads even if I've heard it/ read it before. It is in this spirit that I persevered with this book. It is quite disappointing though. I found it very superficial, the examples the author gave was either out of context, totally irrelevant to the issue discussed or incomplete. What I found most annoying and irritating is the insistence on giving examples of politicians, especially in the context of the Middle East; an area he obviously know NOTHING about despite his proclamations to the contrary. Unless you are an absolute total novice to negotiation and business -and I believe none of us really is- I would not recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for all generations, 7 Aug 2013
I have been working in sales for some time but this book is a great source of new info ! Everytime i try someone new , the book helps me with it !

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it if you are in sales and serious about selling, 23 May 2013
I bought this after watching an interview with one of the business angels who invested in EverNote - he was asked during his presentation which books he would recommend an entrepreneur to read. He suggested this one, so I quickly headed off to Amazon and read the reviews, then bought it, along with "Getting Past No", but I am still to read that one,

You will read this book (as everyone else has said) nodding your head, saying "I've had that used against me". The concept of Next Higher Authority is so obvious and yet so simple! It's not until he uses an example of buying a car and you go "OF COURSE" and then go "BUGGER" when you realise someone used it on you.. I quickly found myself using some of the Gambits in conversation with my customers and yes, they do indeed work! "So, if I do this for you, what can you do for me?", PO's are coming in quicker all over a sudden!

Simply get this book if you are serious about professional selling or running your own business.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for anyone, 11 May 2013
Theres so many negotiating gambits this book teaches you and i can relate to a lot of them and can see what people have done to get me to buy something and even get a higher price from me.

I originally got the audio version for the car but it was so good i had to buy the book.

I've already started using these techniques daily in my work and personal life.

A must have book!