5.0 out of 5 stars rather lovely album!, 19 April 2012
I discovered King creosote through a free compilation cd that i'd received with a magazine recently, I immediately wanted to buy the Diamond Mine cd. But then when I checked Amazon I realised there was a new version out soon, so I waited. Was it worth it? well yes, the original 7 songs are great, but with 6 more it makes it a more complete album, rather than an EP. The new songs are in a similar style and the album flows rather nicely. It is a lovely album with some beautiful songs on, I have played it last thing at night for the past few evenings, it is perfect to help you wind down. I had heard of king Creosote for years, I remember Mark Radcliffe mentioning him many years ago, but for some reason due to the slightly unusual name I thought it was a novelty act! I couldn't have been further from the truth. It is a album of simple, yet very pleasant folk type songs. But even if you don't like the stereotypical folk music give this a ago, it really gets under you skin (in a good way). If you want to try it out, check out Bats in the Attic, give it a couple of listens, if you like it you'll probably love this cd, a real gem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better buy Diamond Mine instead, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Diamond Mine Jubilee Edition (MP3 Download)
Seems crazy to say it, but the world that lives in the bubble of Diamond Mine is spoilt by bolting on an additional album that is at odds with the perfect length and perfect balance of an otherwise flawless album. I know this is getting something for nothing, but if music is about art, and that art is the concept of an album in it's completeness as a work, then forget this Jubilee Edition and get the proper Diamond Album instead.
Diamond Mine is one of the most sublime albums of this century so far. It doesn't need mucking about with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 24 May 2012
This is an amazing album.

I bought this because I really liked the single "bubble", which was the first King Creosote / Jon Hopkins track that I had heard. From the moment the intro started (3 minutes of random background noise from a seaside cafe) I knew I was in for something different, and the album has exceeded my expectations.

This is not a typical collection of discrete songs. All of the songs are generally associated with theme of people in a coastal village, and are interspersed with background noises (bikes, seaguls, chatter, etc). The tracks gently fade into one another, like drifting between scenes in a dream, coming into focus for a while, then drifting away again. The music is folky, overlaid with unusual noises, sounds and effects - it's and very laid back, almost tranquil, and is totally absorbing. It's easy to get completely immersed in it. The vocals are great, the songs are poignant and intelligent. The production is excellent - highly polished and very interesting.

The jubilee edition includes the original album, plus all the associated singles, so it seems like a bargain to me.

All in all, I think it's a masterpiece. Highly recomended

(Now, I'm thinking about King Creosotes other 39 albums...)

5.0 out of 5 stars I honestly don't know another album that beats this, 26 April 2012
Deborah Brailey "Film Fanatic" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
As the title says, I cannot seem to find any album that I would prefer to listen to at the moment. I have been a huge fan of Jon Hopkins after watching the film "Monsters" and noticing he wrote the soundtrack to it. I never heard of King Creosote before this album and I have become hooked on him aswell!

This album is just so unbelievably calming. I try to do work whilst listening to this and I am just completely captivated by it right until the end. It seems to make anything and everything in the world seem beautiful. If only PJ Harvey didn't release her album, these guys could have stolen her award in a flash :)

Cannot recommend this enough. It's just sooooo gooooood!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece!, 21 Mar 2013
Tanomaky (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
Without a doubt it's a must have CD. Beautiful and calm rythms. For me the best of both artists so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are honest songs - and brilliant too, 18 May 2012
Don Panik (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have become slightly obsessed by this record for reasons I am still trying to figure out. You see it didn't totally grab me the first time I heard it - having been a long time fan of KC, and also having heard a number of the songs on the album via the Honest Words EP (these now included on the deluxe version of the CD) previously, which were more immediately appealing. But there is something about the sense of place (conveyed both lyrically and in the use of field recordings) that when listened to carefully over headphones is totally transporting. I knew that Kenny had a strange way with words (takes me back to the shock of hearing David Byrne's lyrics on the early Talking Heads albums) which is more like prose than poetry, and the way he scans is distinctly odd - but delivered in his mellifluous tones it is all rather beautiful.

So, it took me a while to get it, but so glad I have. To my mind this is a fantastic record, easily his best yet. I shall just have to live with the regret that I missed the live tour. I won't make that mistake again. In the meantime this has been on repeat play for me.

Diamond Mine Jubilee Edition