5.0 out of 5 stars A most excellent aid to understanding the 5D Mk III
Published on 1 Jun. 2012 by A. J. Parsons

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work on Kindle for me
First I'm a fan of the kindle. I like reading books on it. I like the convenience and the ability to read at night with the newest one. However, I found following this a frustrating experience. The diagrams weren't good quality, and navigating from page to page to find bits of information was a real drag. I really wouldn't recommend kindle for this type of reading. In...
Published 21 months ago by Gallus Wilko

5.0 out of 5 stars A most excellent aid to understanding the 5D Mk III, 1 Jun. 2012
A. J. Parsons "tonesshots.com" (Cheltenham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon 5D Mark III Experience - The Still Photography Guide to Operation and Image Creation with the Canon EOS 5D Mark III (Kindle Edition)
Having just upgraded my camera from a Canon 5D Mk I to a Mk III, I found the Canon handbook of little help in getting me familiar with the new camera. No stranger to photographic technology I found the Canon handbook full of information but distributed and organised in such an unstructured manner that I struggled to see a way of getting the best from my new very expensive acquisition. I looked at the available additional material for sale and based on the preview of the Kindle version of this guide, I ordered it. It has proved to be a most valuable and rewarding purchase. the author clearly knows what he is writing about. He has simplified the very complex set of camera menu options and user interface choices into an understandable and digestible reference manual. Not at all a repeat of the distributed handbook as many such documents are but a very well delivered explanation of each menu choice with reasoned and understandable advice on each choice of option. At each menu option the author has provided a basis for the option to exist, a description of each choice in a way that makes it easy to understand the pros and cons of each choice and finally a recommendation with a convincing and understandable reason for the recommended choice. Following the many option/choice section of the book is the clearest and most revealing explanation of how to use the focussing facilities that the camera offers. This is the section that most convinces me that the author really does understand his subject, for the first time I can say I really understand how the complex autofocus system works. I can now see how to make choices and decisions on how to choose the best settings and options for the various photographic situations I am familiar with. The author knows well the misconceptions and the pitfalls in the way of users and has reiterated the significant lessons and key points clearly and in context several times in the text This steers the reader out of the woods and into a crisp understanding as the text is followed. Overall a most excellent guide. For me it has not only given excellent value in the sense that for a £3000 camera, the £8 paid for this book has ensured I gain a much enhanced capability to use the expensive instrument to its full potential but it has also provided a much needed tutorial on how autofocus and exposure evaluation systems work in principal. Highly recommended as an essential learning aid and reference manual for a very capable camera in the hands of the enlightened. So much better than the average generic thinly disguised rewrite of the usually awful manufacturers handbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guides for experienced and new users alike, 23 April 2014
While it is unlikely that a first time photographer would buy such an expensive camera as the 5D3, all of Doug's guides contain a great deal of information about the basics of photography as well as information specific to the camera. No matter what your level of knowledge there is something here for you. Even if you already know everything in here, on a Kindle it makes for a handy and portable reference guide for when you might need to quickly refresh your memory, as we all do from time to time.

The 5D3 is such a massive technological leap forward, especially the mind blowing new autofocus system, that even experienced photographers are having trouble understanding when to use what. This book does an excellent job of de-mystifying the technology packed into this amazing camera.

Right from the start you can tell that this was written by someone who read the manual and thought what many of us think after reading manuals. It is all very well to say what the buttons do and what the features are, but what you really want to know is when and where to use them in clear and simple language. You want to quickly find what you are looking for, read it and get on with using your camera. This is exactly what the book lets you do.

Inside you will find excellent, comprehensive information about the basics of photography - aperture, exposure, focusing, tracking movement and so on - and then more specific information about how to get the best out of them with the camera you have purchased.

I have read a lot of guides that take pages to get to the point and are full of unnecessary waffle. There is none of that in Doug's book. It gives you the facts while explaining not just what they mean but why they are important, without bogging you down in unnecessary detail or taking several pages to get to the point. There is no superfluous information, everything is relevant as he explains what things are for and when and where you should use them.

Within 20 minutes of reading it I found out more about my camera than reading the manual ever told me.

It does exactly what it says - explains in clear and straightforward language how to use the dazzling array of features on a modern camera, and how to get the most out of it. And all for under a tenner.

You'd be mad not to buy one, really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and Palatable, 13 Jan. 2013
I bought the Kindle 'Paperwhite' version of this book. Although it lacks the colour needed to enhance the excellent (when viewed on a pc etc) photographs, I found it to be a thorough and useful manual covering all the important aspects of the camera in a hands-on user-friendly way. The electroniv version proved very accessible and had the benefit that I could read it in bed, in total darkness, into the wee small hours, without complaint from my wife!
All aspects of the new, complex AF system are explained in full as are other features that are likely to be a requirement of experienced digital photographers. The more obscure options are addressed by cross-reference to the (rather 'sterile') Canon manual that comes with the camera.
A good buy for anyone lucky enough to own one of these excellent cameras but still feeling daunted by the overwhelming options available.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 6 Nov. 2013
This book is well written and is taking my understanding of the 5d's auto focusing system to the next level. I would recommend it to anyone who is struggling to understand the manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've only just started to get into the book, ..., 28 Jun. 2014
Mr. Derek Clements (Bexleyheath, London) - See all my reviews
I've only just started to get into the book, but so far it has taught me quite a few facts and tricks that I would never have gleaned from the manual. It's a bit repetitive in places, due to the structure of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expertly written and precise, 22 July 2013
Having had my 5D MKIII for a while now, I thought I had better get to grips with the more in depth functions and start using it properly. If you've ever taken a look at the canon manual, it's fine but not too detailed and doesn't quite explain how each item really functions.

After looking at other reviews, I purchased this guide and I've not looked back! I've bought it for my kindle and take it with me wherever I go. It's divided into relevant sections and the author explains each item perfectly.

I mainly bought this book to get to grips with the new auto focus sections and I'm pleased to say its helped me greatly with this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written compliment to the manual., 4 July 2013
N. Anderson (UK) - See all my reviews
With a lot of complex new features, my Canon 5DIII has a manual to match. Doug Klosterman does his best to explain the most tangled areas in plain English. He adds many of his personal preferences for setting up the camera which are most usefull. My only complaint is that is hardly a camera someone starting in photography will choose but Doug does add some very basic stuff in there. I would rather he had kept to either a book for beginners or one for experienced photographers rather that trying cover everyone's needs and falling a bit short in areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon 5D Mk3 User Guide, 24 April 2013
W. G. Turner "BILLTURN20" (WALES) - See all my reviews
This book is superb it unravels the makers manual and enables one to get the best out of this top of the range Canon 5D Mk3

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good. will post again when more accustomed to it, 2 Mar. 2015
seem to be user friendly guide. So far so good. will post again when more accustomed to it. Downloaded to my iPad mini, perfect for location photography.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a curate's egg... good in parts., 20 May 2012
W. R. Brook (Warwick, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is excellent in parts, and certainly the first half or so is really excellent, going through all the menus, explaining how everything works, making recommendations about which setting to select, etc. This is important - it's a complex camera. Then it slips into the usual camera guide problem, which is explaining the obvious, like what a wide angle lens does, the difference between an EF and EF-S lens, what depth of field is, and so on, which drives me a bit nuts, as I've had an SLR for over 30 years, and don't need telling about this stuff. Having said that, it has less of this fluff than most camera manuals, which seem to assume you are a total newbie. Probably about 20% waste, 80% real valuable stuff, overall.

I also like the idea that as an eBook, there will be free updates, which makes sense with an evolving firmware and a newly released camera.

Overall, highly recommended, because of the good bits...