5.0 out of 5 stars Black Heart: Review
Black Heart is the third and final instalment of The Curse Worker Trilogy by Holly Black. We follow Cassel Sharpe, as he decides what do with his life and who he can trust. Cassel has come a long way from The White Cat (Curse Workers, Book 1).

Published on 20 May 2012 by Becki Weston

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written and enjoyable series
Published 2 months ago by Joy Ormes

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Heart: Review, 20 May 2012

If you have been reading The Curse Worker Trilogy then you will absolutely fall in love with this book. I certainly did. This is Holly Black at her best, and Cassel Sharpe at his best. It was a joy to read. I don't really want to go into any detail in this review, because I don't want to spoil this book for you. It doesn't deserve it.

First off, I just wanted to say that I absolutely adore the cover. It is positively gorgeous. The picture with this review does not do it justice at all. I think this is my absolute favourite cover of The Curse Worker Trilogy.

Black Heart wraps up The Curse Worker Trilogy with all the style and pizzazz I have come to expect from Holly Black. All my questions were answered, and boy was I led on a merry chase to discover the answers! This, like the rest of the trilogy, was a really fun book to read. We are reunited with Cassel, Sam, Dancea, Lila, Barron, and Cassel's mother and grandfather. And what a reunion it is. I did not see the events of this book coming at all. To start with the plot seems pretty simple - Cassel is learning how to be `straight' - but then the plot seems to twist and it's not that simple any more. In this book Holly Black really pushes Cassel to his limits.

This is one of the best endings of a series that I have read. First books and last books are hard, and I think Holly Black pulls this book off brilliantly. I'm kinda sad to see the back of all the characters that I have fallen in love and in like with over the series, but I'm not disappointed things have come to an end either. I think that this was exactly the right place to end. Thanks Holly Black for taking me on this journey.

Originally posted on TheFlutterbyRoom.com

4.0 out of 5 stars Black Heart, 16 April 2013
This review is from: Black Heart: The Curse Workers Book 3 (Kindle Edition)
I've really enjoyed the entire series and I think this book brings it to a good end. I liked it as much as the first two and I would recommend it (the whole series) to anybody.

4.0 out of 5 stars She was my sin and my salvation (spoilers), 17 April 2012
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Cassel Sharpe's world is a place of light and dark -- he was raised in a world of mobs and con-men, but he wishes he could live among the law-abiding people.

But he finds that those places are not as different as some people think in "Black Heart," which throws even more snarls into the teen transformation worker's life. Holly Black wraps up her Curse Workers trilogy with gritty, witty writing and intertwining subplots -- but the real draw here is the tumultuous relationship between Cassel and Lila, and what will happen to them.

Cass has never been further from Lila Zacharov -- not only is she furious at him, but he's working for the FBI and she for her father's mob. But he finds himself being drawn back in when he learns that his mom is in trouble -- she stole the legendary Resurrection Diamond from Zacharov years ago, and if Cass wants to ensure his mother's safety, he'll have to get it back.

He also gets sucked into a bizarre scheme at his upper-crust school, where a student claims she's being blackmailed. But it turns out to be something very different, pulling Cass and Sam into a clash with the faculty.

Finally, Agent Yulikova enlists Cass for a special mission to transform the bigoted Governor Patton. Suddenly he realizes that he's doing the same thing for the government that he would be doing for a mob family -- and the government's motives become increasingly suspect as the day approaches. The only way out of this situation is to make his own solution..

The Curse Workers trilogy is one of the most original urban fantasies in years, and "Black Heart" is a thoroughly satisfying end -- we've got moral greyness, impossible choices, corrupt government agents and even shadier mobsters. And Holly Black manages to wrap things up in a plausible way, without making anything (whether it's proposition two or Cass/Lila) seem too pat and tidy.

Her writing here is like a dirty obsidian blade -- dark, gritty and sharp enough to cut ("Lucifer Morningstar himself could learn a thing or two from the conviction with which Barron lies"), and she slowly builds up the tension until something has to explode. And somehow, Holly Black manages to still insert some very non-cliche teen romance angst (especially when Daneca starts dating someone... unsuitable).

The only problem is that the whole subplot about Mina Lange feels... well, interesting, but not connected to anything else in the story. It's like a short story was inserted into the novel.

But hey, Cass seems to have finally reconciled himself to the life he's destined for -- being a transformation worker means he will always have people trying to use him, and that neither the mobs nor the government can be depended on. And his tempestuous relationship with Lila finally reaches the point where both of them realize what they want, and how they feel.

The ending isn't tidy, but neither is Cass's life. Instead, "Black Heart" is a strong, intense finale for a beautifully dark little trilogy -- and it confirms Holly Black as a truly brilliant writer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written and enjoyable series, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Black Heart: The Curse Workers Book 3 (Kindle Edition)
The curse workers series have been my introduction to Holly Black and they were well written and enjoyable. Thanks to this series I will certainly be giving her other works a try. Overall I would give the series 4 stars at least but the reason I have given this final book 3 is that although I still enjoyed it, I found that by the end of the series it was a little bit repetitive and perhaps too pat an ending. I would definitely recommend as a good example of the genre

5.0 out of 5 stars Adolescent magic stuff, 22 Mar 2014
J. Benson (West Yorks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Heart: The Curse Workers Book 3 (Kindle Edition)
I shouldn't like this, but I did! Great characters, almost believable magic, well written escapism. I really enjoyed reading this series of books - the cheap first instalment on my Kindle drew me in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: Black Heart: The Curse Workers Book 3 (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyable - well-plotted and engaging. Holly Black creates an alternate reality in which magic exists and is close to being outlawed by the government.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting final book?, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: Black Heart: The Curse Workers Book 3 (Kindle Edition)
Yet more twists and back stabbing and transformations. Cassel as a character is brilliant, you do feel that even when his decisions aren't sensible they make sense. With that comes affection for him and his actions. I've enjoyed reading these 3 curse worker books back to back. I would heartily recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic trilogy, 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: Black Heart: The Curse Workers Book 3 (Kindle Edition)
Really good concept. Easy read. Couldn't put it down. Completely compelling and addictive. Holly black has all the bases covered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read!, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: Black Heart: The Curse Workers Book 3 (Kindle Edition)
I loved this series! I hope there is more to come! Please be more!
Very easy to read and I found out very well written. I will be reading them again!
Don't you just love a happy ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's next?, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: Black Heart: The Curse Workers Book 3 (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed this last book thoroughly, I want another book following this one. I loved everything about it. I would recommend this book (trilogy) to everyone