on 6 June 2012
I bought this book in 2007 having been referred to a "specialist". I had previously suffered from Clinical Depression and ended up on pills and could see that I was sliding down the slippery slope again so sought the advice and help of the Doc before I got to the stage of needing tablets again. The specialist I was referred to told me that I was not suffering from depression at that point but that I was currently suffering from "anxiety" and recommended this book along with another one. He did say that "self-help" books help some people but not others. I figured I had nothing to lose, and everything to gain so promptly went on Amazon and bought both books. I worked through the exercises and found them very useful. I wrote the exercises down in a journal and dated it each time, and I've since looked back at my responses and can see how far I have come and how much this book has helped. I confess that I did find this book much more helpful than the other one and it is this book that I have recommended to several friends, either for themselves or a partner, and all who have bought it have found it very useful.

In short, you have nothing to lose by getting this book, and EVERYTHING to gain! I hope it helps you too.
on 30 June 2001
A well thought out and easy to digest book for use by the clinician. It gives brief overviews of the historical aspects of cognitive therapy and establishes the importance of developing collaborative empiricism and guided discovery between both parties whilst working towards mutual goals.
It clearly sets out how to incorporate mind over mood within various settings such as inpatient facilities, and in doing so, it can provide professionals with support through the early days of an admission. (Providing there is closely monitored supervision, and agreement within the Multi-Disciplinary-Team that this is appropriate).
The book also suggests how to work with groups, individuals and couples, and discusses the process step by step. It also has suggestions for troubleshooting should the therapist encounter difficulties.
Within the practice setting the clinicain could find that this book when used in conjunction with patients guide to mind over mood can help them to bring about changes in cognitive processing and behaviour change.
11 comment|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 September 2015
It bought this by mistake. This book is a companion book to the client version and I not sure it has any use as a stand alone reference (there are better theory books out there i.e. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy - Basics and Beyond, J. S. Beck). I actually felt a bit annoyed that the description of the book does not make it clear it is a companion book.

It was the clients version of 'Mind Over Mood that was on my reading list to study on a Level 5 CBT course. This book describes how best to use the client book with clients (Although I would never use this in that way). It does not contain the worksheets or other resources it describes and there is no companion web site where you can download them. So, as a companion book I would give it 4 stars, but as it did not make it clear that it is a companion book, as a stand alone book, I gave it three. However, while it wasn't really necessary for me, this book was a useful enhancement to the client's book so I kept it.

Be careful you are buying the version of this book you need. If you can only afford one, but the client version. The client version is perfectly adequate as a stand alone book.
on 1 January 2006
I bought this book because I suffer with depression, amongst other things and I have found it 100% useful.I orginally bought it out of a random choice-only to be told by my friend who is a CBT nurse that it is one of the best books about for self help. You can work with the book at your pace and lesure, and I have found the sections I have done in it most helpful to my problems and I continue to use the book.100% recommended to those who need self help that is totally possitive.
on 24 July 2007
Janet B misses the whole premise. Feelings are of course a response to the world around us, but between the sensory perception of an event in the world and the feeling that results comes a thought - often unnoticed. That thought is based on our beliefs and values and the way we view the world. All CBT asks us to do is to review those beliefs and values objectively and judge whether they are valid.

This book is simplistic and doesn't explain the core concepts of CBT as well as it might, but that doesn't detract from their validity.
on 7 January 2013
good easy to use manual recommended by tutor on CBT course. Photocopyable to so as a clinician it has become an excellent resource.
on 25 May 2014
Very interesting and useful book although the mind over mood book as opposed to the clinicians guide is just as good
on 4 March 2013
So far, a good read and helpful with varying insights. Use of scenario's has been especially helpful. A good buy
on 3 December 2014
Very CBT orientated, with goals, tips and hints to work towards. I believe there's an additional book to go with this for the client to use so you can work through it together. Some useful suggestions, but not my style - I'm person-centered.
on 12 November 2001
This book was suggested to me as a useful book to use when I was suffering from severe depression,
I found it easy to use and although the depression has ended I still find these exercises
useful to do to prevent further episodes.