5.0 out of 5 stars All good so far!
I read the reviews and visited the Kingston website before buying the SSD upgrade bundle, never having used an SSD before, and I recommend you do so too.
Published on 17 April 2013 by Another satisfied customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and Problematic
I brought this after my laptops speed was deteriorating, Unfortunately my laptop runs Windows 8.1 which I soon discovered wouldn't work with the software provided despite the Acronis website saying that it is compatible. When I tried to load the software I got an error massage saying something about a UEFI error (An Acronis compatibility error) I ended up having to...
Published 15 months ago by TNTGoesBang

5.0 out of 5 stars All good so far!, 17 April 2013
Everything worked exactly as it was supposed to do, but note that there are no instructions in the box so make sure you download them from the Kingston site first - and print them (select just the relevant language section, otherwise you will get about 300 pages) or read them on another device. The cloning software worked faultlessly, but it helps to have the printout of what messages to expect along the way.
There was one error message near the end of the process, I chose 'ignore' and the program completed the transfer, and nothing bad had happened yet.
This drive is fitted in a notebook so no extra bracket is needed, and I thought it was missing from the pack. However its under the top foam packing piece and its bright blue!
Read the faqs on the website, there are useful tips including a warning about removing your windows user password before cloning - you can of course reinstate it after the changeover.

The old drive, which is getting bad sectors, is still usable as an external usb drive.
I have no idea how this drive compares with others, but the bundle makes it extremely easy to install and clone the old hd, so it worked for me. And yes, the ssd is quieter and faster too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal!, 14 Dec. 2012
This review is from: HyperX 120GB SATA3 3K 2.5-inch Gaming SSD Drive (Personal Computers)
Decided since the price of SSD's have come down so much, I would buy this one. Kingston has always been a leader in flash based hardware and is a name I have come to trust with quality, this SSD is no exception. Of course I have to say the difference between using HDD and SSD is mind blowing, installing an SSD is by far teh single best improvement and investment anyone can make to their computer. The Sandforce controller is phenomenal, the chips use transparent compression to save space and speed up the IOPS for enhanced performance. Whilst the capacity of 120GB might not seem great, the system performs super fast and super smooth. From pushing the power switch to arriving at the desktop, it takes just 20 secs; and the shut down performs in less than 5 secs. Programs open immediately, which is to say they open in an eye-blink.

On installing it, it did cause some initial problems with the AMD display drivers, but this was easily fixed by re-installing the OS and switching to AHCI in the BIOS, rather than SATA IDE. AHCI improves the speed of the drive considerably.

I like that the drive comes with a 3 year warranty, but bearing in mind that this drive is capable of performing 3000 re-writes, you could effectively re-write your entire drive every single day for the next 10 years before it would wear out, which is something the average customer is never going to achieve in 3! ;)

The drive is also exceptionally good looking with an eye catching finish in brushed steel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SSD., 7 Sept. 2013
I was always reluctant to consider an SSD because of their high failure rate, but I think/hope they have matured enough now to be well worth considering.

I have built a new 64bit PC just for photo and video editing, and it made sense to use a SSD for the system disk.
If one is not installing lots of programs (like MS Office) then 240GB seemed a good size without being too expensive. I went for Kingston Technology as they are UK based when the SSD dies in about 3-4 years time. Surprisingly the 240GB version had the best read/write speeds over their 120GB offering.

One is blown away by the speed of the SSD and therefore the PC. My Windows 7 home premium system boots up in less than 45 seconds (it was faster than that initially), and programs start-up almost instantly.
I don't bother putting this PC into hibernate mode, shutdown & startup is almost as quick.

Looking after your SSD is all about minimising the number of writes it has to do.
NEVER defrag an SSD you may even damage it so I'm told. As it's not a mechanical device fragmentation is not an issue. I have PerfectDisk running and they do very limited housekeeping on the SSD.
With 16GB of memory I have disabled the paging/swap files with no problems so far.

I do try to make a complete system disk backup about once a week, and I have an old hard disk available to act as a recovered system disk in-case the SSD dies. However as the system disk is not over cluttered a full system disk backup to hard disk completes in about 10-15 mins.
I do have a second 4TB hard disk for all my data/photos etc.

I only purchased the upgrade bundle kit as it was cheaper than the actual disk itself at the time.
The bundle does include a USB case for you to plug your SSD into and use it as an external disk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Improvement for little cost!, 7 Nov. 2013
120GB Hyper X

Windows 7 start up time pressing the power button from cold with the HDD was 2 minutes average, start up time with SSD = 26 seconds!! every time with the same programs installed, it takes only 15 seconds to boot windows according Glary Utilities

Best to do a clean install of windows 7 or 8, I first made a mirror image of the old HDD but there were errors and I found it was much better to do a clean install of windows 7 and all of my usual programs which only take up 33.8GB total, I have documents, pics, vid's etc stored on my old HDD, this way I have more than enough storage space (300GB HDD + 120GB SSD)

My PC is a 2 yr old Vostro 260, upgraded Ram from 2GB to 5GB, this made only a small improvement

Fitted the SSD and Wow! even though the motherboard is Sata2 (instead of the faster Sata3) the improvement in read and write speed is Very notable

Old HDD VS SSD Average Read and Write Speeds:
------------------------------------------------
Test Program: ATTO Benchmark (Repeatable Accurate Results)

300GB HDD

------------------------------------------
Write: 225576 MB/Sec + 170% Improvement

These results are with a Sata2 motherboard
------------------------------------------
(With a newer PC the SSD Read and write speeds would be around double the SSD MB/Sec above)

My 1 year old Laptop with HDD 4GB Ram and faster i5 CPU is SLOW compared to this PC, it was the other way around before fitting the SSD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be warned, when you get an SSD you will want one in every other PC you work on lol, they are an excellent investment

Be sure to turn off "Defrag" to get the best life out of the SSD
------------------------------------------------------------

** How to Disable Defrag in Win7: **
------------------------------------

In Win7 go to:
--------------
Open "Start Menu"
------------------
Search for "Task Scheduler"
---------------------------
Open "Task Scheduler Library" ( > ) Arrow
----------------------------------------
Open "Microsoft" ( > )
---------------------
Open "Windows" ( > )
-------------------
Left Click on File Called "Defrag"
-----------------------
Right Click on "ScheduledDefrag" and left click "Disable"
----------------------------------------------------
Now Windows7 will Not Defrag your SSD
--------------------------------------

Fitting an SSD is a Great way to Speed Up your PC or Laptop

Here is a guide when upgrading a "Desktop PC" using both the old HDD and a new SSD

Copy all your documents, pics, vids etc onto a spare external HDD

Format your old HDD

Fit the New SSD (you will need to buy a Sata 1, 2 or 3 Data Cable with a 90* end) (all Sata 1,2,3 Data cables perform exactly the same).

Boot the PC, press F2 on start up (for Dell PC's or F12 etc for other PC's) to enter Bios Settings

Modify the "Bios" so that the SSD is the Primary Drive also set the "CD/DVD drive" at the top of the "Boot Order" Insert Win Install Disc, save Bios changes and exit Bios

Install Windows from CD, install all of the Driver software from the "Driver CD", install antivirus, get Internet Explorer running, update antivirus software, now download + install all of all of your programs on the SSD "C Drive"

Use the HDD to store documents, pictures, video's etc

To relocate your folders to the HDD you can right click on "C Drive" my documents, pictures and video's, one at a time, select "Properties" click "Include Folder" if you previously make folders called Documents HDD, Pictures HDD, Videos HDD, on your old HDD (you could rename your old folders) then you can now select them in the "Include Folder" option as above, you can remove the other file locations from the list by highlighting them and selecting "Remove" until all that remains in the list is "Documents HDD" for example, also do this for Pics and Video's (Leave the "Music" file on your "C drive" otherwise iTunes may cause issues)

You can also create a second "Downloads" folder on the HDD and set you web browser to send download files to this file instead of the SSD, all of this is to minimise the SSD use, using the SSD for programs and the operating system which take full advantage of the faster read and write speeds, especially the read speeds which greatly improve performance, the old HDD is simply used for extra storage, doing it this way I have only used 33.8GB out of 120GB on the SSD, loads of space left for additional programs in the future

** Alternatively for an easier install buy a larger SSD, 250GB would be plenty for most users and do not use the old HDD **

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me Hyper! (cheesy pun intended), 18 Dec. 2012
I've just spent a small fortune in building a new gaming/high performance computer for the first time. This accessory pack makes life so much simpler, as it comes with so many nifty bits and bobs! Namely a 2 head magnetic Kingston HyperX screwdriver (which I used for the rest of the build), a USB enclosure for portable storage, 3.5" to 2.5" drive mount and all the data cables!

The one thing I found difficult about choosing an SSD is the massively varying opinion on reliability and performance. Kingston is a well-known make for memory, and they are for a reason. It came beautifully packaged (and is beautifully designed), installs extremely easily and is also quite simply one of the best performers on the market (from a few available benchmarks online). It reads and writes incredibly fast - I can't believe the little time it takes to boot windows or even install/copy large programs and files. Every time I see the install bar ramp up as quick as it does makes me happy inside.

In short, highly recommended, specifically this kit over the lone drive, it's roughly the same price (at this point) and it really does feel like you are getting you're money's worth. Spending more for the Kingston name is something I would do again.

Top form.

5.0 out of 5 stars My review, 11 Aug. 2012
This is a very fast ssd. It makes a HUGE difference to the responsiveness of you computer. I would definitely recommend getting one as they've dropped in price quite a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb value for money, 9 Jan. 2013
T. D. Welsh (Basingstoke, Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Previously I had bought a couple of Intel SSDs - an 80GB X25-M three years ago and then a 180GB 330 a few months ago. Both had been outstanding successes, but I wanted to compare another vendor and I had seen some very favourable reviews of the Kingston HyperX 3K (some of them right here on Amazon!) I was a little dubious because I planned to fit the drive as system disk to a five-year-old Windows XP desktop whose Western Digital hard drive had been getting rather wobbly and slow. I knew that Windows XP was not a good operating system for SSD support, as it was designed before they become popular, so I was prepared for all sorts of potential difficulties - slow performance, stuttering, etc.

I needn't have worried. Installing the SSD was easy, largely because I had done some research beforehand. I removed the SSD from its snug packaging - contriving to drop it on the floor from a height of about three feet as I did so, a fall that had no detectable effect on its performance although it would have destroyed most hard drives. I removed the old system drive, installed the SSD in its place using the 2.5-inch to 3.5-inch conversion kit that comes in the box, and temporarily installed the old drive in a spare slot (luckily I had a spare SATA cable and power cable too). Then I booted to a handy Parted Magic DVD that came with a Linux magazine, and used this to clone the old hard drive to the SSD. A couple of small, and perhaps unnecessary, tweaks to align the partition start properly, and I was done. Removed the old drive, buttoned up, and rebooted; instead of 2-3 minutes, I was looking at the login prompt in about 30 seconds. Windows XP responds a lot more smartly, too.

Comparing HDTune benchmarks between the XP box and my much more powerful Windows 7 desktop with an Intel 330, I found to my surprise that, if anything, the Kingston drive seemed a shade faster - although it's not a difference that you'd notice in practice. They are both just as fast as Windows can handle, and you can be sure that any noticeable delays are being caused by something else such as an underpowered processor, not enough RAM, or pathological software. Of course, SSDs are not magic and they can only do so much. On both my computers I have conventional hard drives for all my user files and pagefiles, etc. - the rule is that SSDs are at their best in read-heavy applications, and you don't want to give them too many avoidable writes as they will eventually wear out. However, under normal home computer usage, that's something you probably won't ever have to worry about. On Windows 7 or 8, or Linux, the operating system automatically performs TRIM functions to redistribute cells and delay write exhaustion. With Windows XP, you may have to take your chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super-fast in AHCI mode, 15 Feb. 2015
Mr. B. (Wolverhampton, UK.) - See all my reviews
I've only had this drive for a day but am I impressed, oh yes. I bought the 120gb and am using it as my main drive for Win7. I also have two mechanical drives. I did a clean install which takes the usual amount of time as can only go as fast as DVD-RAM reads the disc. Upon starting Win7 for the first time I did get an error saying Windows didn't shut down correctly but I chose Start as normal and all is well. I checked the Windows score for the drive and it was 7.7. Hold on I thought it should be faster then I realised I was in Native IDE mode in BIOS, choosing AHCI is much faster. To change this - back in old XP days required formatting the whole thing and reinstalling Windows but with Win7 its easy. For those interested and not afraid of the registry, here is how you do it.
1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero) by right clicking Start and selecting Modify.
6) Shut down
7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots. When at desktop Windows will load the AHCI drivers and ask for one more restart.
Done.
Windows score now at 7.9.
Note: The actual available space you'll get is 111gb, that's before installing your Operating System which in my case is Win7 = 35gb + 203 updates = 1.5gb more.
Very pleased with this drive and will never go back to mechanical drives.

NOTE: If you have SATA data cables that have clips on their ends when connecting to this SSD they won't "click in". An oversight by the manufacturer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome..., 10 Mar. 2014
So after looking around at different SSD drives to try and push myself into the next step of the "next gen" computing world, I finally opted for this drive.
Now I know a lot of people recommend the Samsung drives, but this one was marginally cheaper and boasted around or better read and write speeds, not to mention the drive looks pretty damn awesome.

Now out of the box the drive looks nice and sturdy, with a nice brushed aluminium surface brandishing the Hyper x logo on the top left. The box included all the warranty and set-up guides and also a 2.5 to 3.5 bay adapter with the screws, which I thought was pretty nice as it saves a lot of people money having to buy them, but mine went straight into one of the dedicated 2.5 bays in my case.

Now I can't stress enough to tell everyone to make sure they have or buy a sata lead as the drive does not come with one, and also to make sure they have a spare power connector as well.

After installing the device I set-up drive, formatted etc.. (if you don't know how to do this a quick Google search will come up with all the answers your looking for.) the drive was ready for use, but be warned that once formatted and set-up the capacity of the drive because 111gb, so you do lose 9gb formatting the drive, which for all the newcomers to this, it is perfectly normal, no drive is truly what they state after formatting.

Performance wise I roughly get around 520mb read and 480mb write on average so yer, definitely one of the best drives out there.

Looks very good, performs well, thumbs up to Kingston.

5.0 out of 5 stars Important - Read before buying if used for upgrade of existing HD, 6 Aug. 2013
Firstly about the SSD and what comes with it in the bundle. You have the SSD which is small, looks good and feels sturdy. You also have a USB cable. This is for using the SSD as an external HD - this box also comes with a case, that allows you to slot the SSD into it and then use it as an external drive with it being full protected. Furthermore you also have the rack that allows you to mount the drive into a desktop PC (+ screws included). Lastly it has a very cool looking screwdriver set with mini attachments for philips and straight screws - nice surprise!

Obviously it has the cloning software but I had problems with this only because I was using the SSD to move my OS from a partitioned drive. Fixing the drive into the bay was simple, all the screws are provided and the SATA cable is also provided. The problems began when I tried to use the cloning software. As a summary, you cannot clone over a partitioned drive even if the OS part of the partition is smaller than the SSD. You can only clone over the whole HD. Therefore I had to do a fresh install on the SSD. This was a bit disappointing but it in no way reflected upon the quality of the SSD and so I have not removed any stars.

Overall this is a great product. My PC is running Windows 7, it boots up in less than 10 seconds and shuts down in less than 5 - even when it was new it never did that, showing its not only due to the fresh install. Using the Windows rating Index my SSD has a rating of 7.8 out of 7.9. I've not done any tests on the writing speeds, but overall performance has improved. As anyone looking to upgrade their PC, the first thing I would suggest upgrading is installing your OS onto a SSD. This has made as much of a difference as if you put RAM in or a new graphics card.

If you have any comments I'd be happy to reply.