5.0 out of 5 stars Another Classic!
Like the other Amazon Reviewers, I can't praise the latest offering from Delain high enough. This was quite a feat to pull a CD of such quality, after all "April Rain" was masterpiece.

Published on 30 Jun 2012 by D READ

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Be Better
It's taken me a while to review this album because I wasn't totally sure what to make of it. The album seems to lack an identity. I put this down to the fact that there is little variation across the 12 tracks, excluding the live bonus tracks.
Published on 31 July 2012 by JohnInBlack

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Classic!, 30 Jun 2012
D READ "A Welsh Bloke In England" (Stourport On Severn,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are the Others [Special Edition] (Audio CD)

And yet this is what I can't understand, why on earth have Delain not made it bigger in the UK? It really is a mystery to myself, I guess it's just the state on the music industry these days that bands like Delain" or "Freak Kitchen" are never mentioned.
The sad fact is, if I hadn't turned on the Music Channel "Scruzz" by chance, I would had never heard of Delain.

That a side, I can only echo high praise......10/10 Excellent....Go buy the CD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best so far., 10 Jun 2012
A. Day - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are the Others [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
I first heard most of this album live and it was fantastic fun at the gig! They always pull off a great live performance!

As for the album itself it has more confident lyrics and heavier riffs than what they've had in the previous 2 albums, both are improvements if you ask me!
Although I will say that some of the songs need the keyboard to be abit louder, they haven't quite managed the perfect balance between all the instruments, but they have managed to make this album sound more like thier live performances (which was one of thier aims in this albums so well done to them for that!)

My least favourite track is Where is the Blood....the guest singer adds nothing good to this song at ALL!
In fact he ruins it in my opinion, im a fan of the melodic metal songs with both male and female singers but this one isnt a patch on other songs like it.
For instance, Charlotte was a guest singer on a track of Serenity's album Death and Legacy in the song Serenade of Flames and that works ALOT better than where is the blood....saying that Serenity does have a good lead vocalist!

That is however the only real blight on this album, the other songs all vary between good and excellent.

This special edition has 4 live tracks on it from the previous albums, good songs and a relatively good recording mean that this is a welcome extra...though sometimes the vocals sound somewhat echoed (the lack of any real price difference between this and the normal edition means you should definately buy this version)
Overall thier best album so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Refined than April Rain, 5 Jun 2012
Sonic (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are the Others [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Delain since I saw them support Sonata Arctica at the tail end of 2009 and being unable to see them live last year I snapped up tickets as soon as they became available for their dates in May where I first heard snippets from this album. I second Dave B in that you should see them live if you can.

I was undecided whether or not I should get this album immediately on release but after hearing parts live I did and it's definitely worth it. Like Dave B it arrived two days before official release which gained further significance by virtue of the public holidays today and yesterday.

The album explores different depths whereas April Rain to me was designed to be more brutal and in-your-face. "I Want You" in particular is more like a rock ballad than the metal we've come to expect but Charlotte's vocals manage to make it powerful and inspiring in its own way. On the subject of inspiring the title track quite obviously refers to the death of Sophie Lancaster and once I grasped this I found it to be quite haunting really.

Wessell's vocals are more in line with power metal than gothic metal, fans of power metal won't go wrong in getting this album (get April Rain for something faster and manic) although that's not to say gothic metal fans won't like it. Existing Delain fans know what they're getting; a sort of hybrid combining the best parts of Lucidity and April Rain - definitely worth getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Third "Go- Back-To " Album (Maybe Needs a "User Guide"!), 4 Jun 2012
This review is from: We Are the Others [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
If you want CD rather than Download, go for the" Special" Edition -as of today it costs just ONE WHOLE PENNY (!)more than the "Basic" and for that you get the 4 bonus tracks (listed below).

Things often go weird(er) like this when a new Roadrunner release hits Amazon..It was a very welcome surprise to get this extended Digipak version 2 days ahead of the UK release, especially seeing as even Delain's own website said this would only be out sometime later! So what further extras may be within the "Deluxe" edition Amazon say is yet to follow is anybody's guess ...IF it actually exists at all, but I suspect it may well be just the "Special" by another name !

Lucidity and April Rain are already equally two of my "evergreen" albums that I keep on coming back to way more than most over time. "We Are The Others" is a near cert to become a third . Fans who preferred April Rain will likely also go for this new album's direction of innovative travel further into a form Martijn Westerholt. himself says is as "pop with a heavy coat". Or should that have been "metal jacket"?

Whatever way you choose to "tag" them, Delain have now fully evolved from a studio-project-with- guests to one of the strongest self contained live-touring bands around (Marco H does guest again, but this time only on 2 of the live bonus tracks) .

Thanks to Warner delaying the release so long, some tracks have already toured live twice ,so are already well captured on Utube for "anyone new here " who wants to sample first. Full playlist is:

Mother Machine(previous working title was "Manson"/Electricity/We Are The Others/Milk and Honey/Hit Me With Your Best Shot/I Want You/Where Is The Blood (with Burton c Bell)/Generation Me/Babylon/Are You Done With Me/Get The Devil Out Of Me /Not Enough

"Special Edition"BonusTracks :

Live versions of "The Gathering"/ "Control The Storm"/ "Shattered"/ "Sleepwalker's Dream".

"USER MANUAL" stuff(if you need it!!)

LYRICS :

These are not printed in full (at least not in the Digipak version),only some sample lines . To download the full lyrics , for this .or their 2 previous albums, just go on Delain's website, select the "Releases" tab, click on each track in turn and the words of that song are all there for you to copy& paste.

UPLOADING CD INTO MEDIAPLAYER

This came up as "unknown artist" , "unknown....everything" on the UK Release Special Edition I bought . If this happens to you, just see the tips in the Comment from A Day below, these fix the problem!

PS GREAT BAND TO CATCH LIVE IF YOU GET THE CHANCE !

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets Better And Better, 2 Nov 2012
A. Darbyshire - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are the Others [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
I'd been listening to Delain's first album, Lucidity, a lot before this arrived so it was a bit of a disappointment at first when this was so different. Now, I can't get enough of it, it just gets better and better with every listen - I'm quite literally addicted to it!

There isn't one bad song on this album although my least favourite is probsbly Babylon. Generation Me has the best intro but the rest of the song doesn't quite live up to it but apart from that, there really isn't anything negative I can say about this album. Even Where Is The Blood, which I didn't love at first, has become a favourite, although I do miss Marco (it's great that they've included the live tracks but I did miss him on the new material). I wish they'd included the full lyrics on the sleeve as well.

My two favourite tracks on this album are without a doubt Are You Done With Me and Get The Devil Out Of Me. I initially wasn't that keen on I Want You as I don't like ballads but I just love Charlotte's dark lyrics which turns it from a slushy love song to a dark, evil song. Great!

All in all, this is a brilliant album - I play it constantly in the car on full volume and never tire of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Be Better, 31 July 2012
This review is from: We Are the Others [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
All in all, this is a good album, its very easy to listen to and fits very nicely into the niche being occupied by Evanescence, Sirenia, Within Temptation etc. For me though, it doesn't reach the heights of April Rain and the promise of Lucidity. I am not knocking this one but Delain set high standards with their first two albums and the initial listens left me disappointed. After a couple of weeks I am playing it and enjoying it for what it is, but classic it is not, just a good solid rock album.
The album opens strongly, the first four tracks are good but once we get to the mid-section it starts to feel very familiar and "Where Is The Blood" feels forced and a little cliché and Generation Me doesn't fair much better. After this the album picks up again and finishes strongly with Not Enough.
Maybe this is the "difficult third album".

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice one!, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: We Are the Others [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
It was a gem of a discovery and a diamond to add to any collection. Brilliant to play soft or blast out

5.0 out of 5 stars Delain, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: We Are The Others [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Great album and clever combination of symphionic metal,quality songs and pop hooks.Hit me with your best shot in particular should have been a single with video to match...Look forward to The Human Contradiction by Delain which is due out on 7th April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Delain, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: We Are the Others [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
Another good surround sound album from Delain. Great for car journeys. Well up to their usual high standards.Thoroughly recommended to anyone who is a fan of this distinctive band.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Introduction, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: We Are the Others [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
This was my first encounter with Delain and thank god I got it. An excellent CD, great riffs and even better vocals. April Rain by Delain possibly slightly the better.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

We Are the Others [Special Edition]
We Are the Others [Special Edition] by Delain (Audio CD - 2012)