on 30 November 2013
When I buy books, I tend to shy away from the ones that are only about 100 pages long, and so when the Deadlocked series first came out, I stayed away. Then the author had the brilliant idea of combining the first 4 smaller books into 1 novel, (5, 6, and 7 in the series are full length novels), I just had to give it a go.

AMAZING! The first 4 books are just a brilliant piece of apocalyptic fiction. I loved the characters and was shocked to see what the author does to these characters! I loved being surprised and as the story unfolds at breakneck speed - I just couldn't put the thing down!

I have just bought series 5, 6 and 7 and I know that I will not be disapointed. A lot of work has gone into these novels and the writing is just the style that I love - well done Mr Wise xx
on 10 October 2014
I never read short stories as I just start to relate to the characters when the whole thing ends. I am so glad that these 4 could be purchased as a block. I have read all 314 and got hooked then the new book Among the dead and dying and now these.
The characters are made so real and you are soon willing them on to survive. Families are torn apart and new friends formed that the become so strong that they would die to protect each other. The reader also experiences the evils that a world of zombies creates, as it is not only the zombies that causes problems but the army, thieves murders and paedophiles of which we meet them all.
You will see charters of people change in order to survive even the children. Excellent books .
on 16 January 2014
I have read the 314 and the Deadlocked books and, having struggled for years to find an author comparable to King and Koontz, I can say wholeheartedly that I have now done so.

Wise writes unpretentiously but with enough detail and attention to character and story development to make you emotionally involved in the story. His style of horror is gruesome, but not gratuitously so. His descriptions are vivid and make me really live in the scene and I can easily envisage serialisation or movies being made from in the future.

His words are not wasted and a lack of lengthy and unrelated text makes the stories fast paced and exciting from start to end.

Just read his books. They are truly great reads if you are a fan of the genre.
on 17 May 2013
I enjoyed reading the deadlocked series and would recommend them to zombie fans. However, there's a couple of things that let it down:
It could do with another proof read as there's spelling errors such as confusing breath and breathe which i personally find jarring when I'm immersed in a story.
The authors notes at the end of each chapter are extremely annoying. I don't want to analyse a story mid way through, I want to enjoy it and go on to the next bit. It's off putting.
Finally, I'm of the opinion that the author should have made the children older than they did as I struggled to believe that such young children would have done or said the things they did.
on 11 March 2015
I only write reviews for books that I enjoy, and this is one of those!
The change of narrator for each section stopped the book from being bogged down and allows the story to develop much quicker.
One criticism is that five year old Kim is a bit too wise for her years, and holds more coherent conversations in extremely dangerous situations than most adults I know could!
A must for zombie fans or if you just enjoy a good read
on 28 November 2012
I loved these books. With series I find after the first couple there all a bit the same but with deadlocked the way each book takes a different characters view but still moving the story on if great. I am a huge horror fan but I of tern find I know how things are going to play out but I love the fact that there were things I never imagined coming.
on 17 July 2013
real page turner you cant wait to see what happens to the characters. This starts as good zombie end of world book but has developed into the best series I've read. I love the author notes which goes into thoughts behind story although you have to be careful of a few spoilers for books ahead
on 29 July 2014
I read this book after reading the first (free) one and became hooked (which was the point I guess!)
Loveable characters, you really wanted them to succeed.
I'm just about to download 5 and look for some of the authors other work but I think this'll be a tough one to beat.
on 18 May 2014
I downloaded these as I needed something to read in a hurry after reading this author's triology '314' thought I'd try this series they are an OK read a bit far fetched and in my opinion too short
on 16 March 2015
Really very good. A deserving five stars for this extremely well written book! I absolutely loved it and could not put it down. Very well thought out with great characters. An amazing story!