Format: DVD|Change

on 11 July 2012
I only started watching 'Not Going Out' on the television at series 5... and realised that I had been missing out. So I ordered this box set and was not disappointed. Series 1 is not quite as good as the rest - it is as though the characters were still getting into their roles, but it is still good. I hear that series 6 and 7 have now been commissioned and I am looking forward to them. Product is rated '15 and older' - think 15 is erring on the safe side, but the message is clear.
on 21 May 2012
I'm a massive fan of the show so there's no point going on about how funny & brilliant it is. It's not everyone's cuppa tea that's fair enough. But what I'll say in my review is that you get 9 discs and a stack load of bonus material on them too, so it's fantastic value for money. Also love the fact the dvd was released the following monday after the latest series finished showing on tv. Good idea to cash in on it's popularity!
on 20 July 2012
I have been watching repeats of `Not Going Out' on channel Dave for some time now and have decided it's time to finally get hold of the box set. This programme embraces all the best connotations of `silly' and is just absolutely hilarious. Many of the episodes I will happily watch more than once. It's one of the best pick-me-ups out there.

One of the keys to the success of the programme is that the actors often implicitly acknowledge the silliness of it all, so instead of feeling patronised you just go along with it too. But it's not all daft. The dialogue is sharp and always overflowing with witty gags, and the situations the characters are put in are genius (I'm thinking in particular of the `Drugs' episode).

When series five was shown recently I couldn't wait for Friday night (especially since it was airing after `Would I Lie to You?') and found myself literally creased up with laughter sometimes. The final episode, `Drunk', brought my mother downstairs asking if I was ok. I'm thrilled they've made Daisy a more significant character and given her some of the best lines - she's such a great personality and she definitely `made' the final series.

I am certainly aware that this programme may not be for everyone. It has a similar sense of humour to `Miranda' and that isn't to everyone's taste (well, not my Nan's anyway). If you aren't willing to go along with a bit of silliness you may want to buy the latest series first to test the waters before you embark on the whole box set.
on 10 July 2012
Excellent series, this set offers all 5 series in full at an Fantastic price, very much worth the money. This is Lee Mack at his best.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 June 2012
So I like Blackadder, Arrested Development and lots of other more sophisticated comedies but I also love this. The puns don't stop coming and the daft situations you can usually see coming a mile off but its worth it.

The first series has a slightly different cast and it takes until series two and beyond before it fully hits its stride. The latest series is here too (at this price this means its an absolute steal) and that has some absolutely brilliant moments - the car stuck in the woods stands out.

Overall if you like your comedy light and full of puns and laughs then you will adore this.
55 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2013
One of my favourite TV shows.

Great characters played by superb comedic actors, and very funny well thought out storylines.

The girl in the first series is not quite as good as the subsequent series, but Lee Mack carries the series beautifully, and the first series also has Miranda which is a huge bonus.
on 31 August 2013
What can you say? The best British sitcom of the decade? Brilliantly written and acted. My personal favourite is the first series. Sit back and enjoy.
on 10 May 2013
I have to be honest, I missed the first season of this show. I didn't catch into it until much later on in the 2nd series. Though I have to say I really enjoy this show, it just appeals to me in a way few British Comedies do. The way the jokes are written is so quick and cutting sometimes your laughing without really stopping inbetween. The actors work well together and the jokes on culture class mostly between England and America in Season 1, and then in later seasons between the North Working Class and the South Middle Class are some of the funniest I've seen in a while. Its also Lee Mack's hopeless character that you want to like, but just somehow is always doing things to keep you from liking him too much.
If you want to enjoy a night in with a good laugh and show that seems to be able to keep its momentum going through all 5 seasons (so far) then I recomment this to you without question.
on 30 May 2013
Although Series 1 is a little slow to start, once it finds it's feet, it really is funny in places. The characters are flawed but lovable. Lee Mack is the perfect anti-hero and couch potato, with Tim Vine as the perfect foil - an obtuse but decent best friend trying to keep Lee on the straight and narrow. In series 1 Lee is lodging with Tim's American ex-girlfriend (played by Megan Dodds) but she leaves at the end of the 1st series and the 2nd series finds the superb Sally Bretton replacing her as Lee's new landlady and object of desire. Tim gets himself a girlfriend (a fine performance by Katy Wix) who is even less able than Tim to comprehend what is happening around her, and these four main characters work really well together. Miranda Hart makes (all too brief) appearances in the first few series as the lazy, clumsy cleaner, Barbara. Bobby Ball plays Lee's good-for-nothing Dad, whilst the fabulousTimothy West (initially) and Deborah Grant play Tim and Lucy's stuffy Mum and Dad - Geoffrey Whitehead successfully takes over the Dad role in the later series. All in all, a very enjoyable set of DVDs which I have thoroughly enjoyed and recommend to anyone wanting a good old fashioned giggle.
on 24 January 2014
The quick-fire dialogue of this series makes the episodes ones that you can watch over and over again - you may remember the story lines but there is something new to laugh at each time you watch.

Series 4 and 5 were completely new to us as they haven't screened here in New Zealand.

Anyone who enjoys funny repartee and some crazy characters will enjoy this programme.