5.0 out of 5 stars el-p's best yet.
El-p's third album proper is arguably also his most accessible release to date yet. This is not to say that the Brooklyn producer/mc supremo has in any way mellowed in his unique sound quite the opposite.
Published on 9 Jun 2012 by chickenskin

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed!
Published on 22 Jun 2012 by BG76

5.0 out of 5 stars el-p's best yet., 9 Jun 2012
This review is from: Cancer 4 Cure (Audio CD)
Cancer 4 Cure is a much more focused and to the point album than either Fantastic Damage or I'll Sleep When Your Dead and in doing so only inreases the sonic bludgeon. First track 'Request Denied' kicks off with a huge big beat sound reminisent of something that could be on The Prodigy's 'Jillted Generation' flowing seemlessly into the ultra heavy low bass throb of 'The Full Retard' (my personal favourite on the record). The production is awsome and the El-p's flow is sharp and completely unique. From there the record never lets up. 'Drones Over Brooklyn' is another stand out along with 'Tougher Colder Killer' and 'True Story' I've deen an El-p fan for a while, this is his best work to date yet. I cant wait to see what this guy does next. If you get this and you dig it, check out Killer Mikes new record R.A.P. music, produced by El-p. Its a monster.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: Cancer 4 Cure (Audio CD)
This CD is a must buy in my opinion - EL-P is a legend anyways but this album confirms it for me. You wont be dissapointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars DIfferent but still good, 30 Jun 2012
Mr. R. J. Sallis "Awacs" (Nottingham , UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cancer 4 Cure (Audio CD)
Definitely not as deep and dark as El-p's earlier records,it has a bit more of a commercial sound in places but not over;y and so I still really like this album. It is definitely a bit of a change in sound but it sounds solid, big and bassy, and is great up nice and loud. It's the first album I have played on repeat for days for a very long time, with mp3s it is easy to skip through your music but this was left to play through everytime. It has some standout tracks for me being Tougher colder killer and The Full Retard.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of NYC's finest, 26 April 2013
Yasir Gulzar (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cancer 4 Cure (Audio CD)
Before you starting reading my review I will fess up that I think Cannibal Ox' The Cold Vein is one of the finest rap records in existence. Of course Vast Aire and Vordul Mega, tremendous names aside, are talented rappers with some fantastic lyrics ("My first fight was me against five boroughs") but it was really the EL-P interplanetary out in the nothingness of space production that turned a superb rap album into a special one. You'll be glad to know that EL-P's latest solo effort is chock-full of similar production values and is easily the finest rap album of last year.

I love the way the first track Request Denied sounds almost like a DnB track with a robotic warning kicking of the propulsive drums. The Full Retard is the most accessible track on the album and about as close as EL-P will come to a full on club banger with a pretty insidious bass line and superb vocal sample on which the hook is based. I love the way 2.30 minutes into the song EL-P turns it on its head by inserting a spoken word by what sounds like a Tibetan monk over a snippet of chilled electronica. For a rap album it's surprising how propulsive the songs are with Drones over Bklyn being a case in point - despite having quite a doom laden atmosphere it moves along at a fair clip.

There are some good guest appearances from the likes of Killer Mike but this is wholly El-P's album from the production to the lyrics. His vocal delivery may be a tad nasally but doesn't detract from a superb rap album full of great lyrics. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed!, 22 Jun 2012
This review is from: Cancer 4 Cure (Audio CD)
Have to say I'm quite disappointed by this offering from EL-P. I've only gotten into him recently & was really looking forward to this release but I'm not feeling this at all. There are some good tracks but I feel it lacks the darkness & denseness of his previous records. It also feels a bit underproduced. The album starts strong enough but quickly begins to tail off & become somewhat boring! After repeated listens I feel it's going to end up as one of the more dust gathering records in my collection.

Cancer 4 Cure
Cancer 4 Cure by El-P (Audio CD - 2012)