1,134 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars It Truly Touched Me -- what can I say?
Published on 26 Mar 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars An insightful tale of growing up
The Perks of being a Wallflower is one of those well known teenage fiction books, ones that are beloved by many and considered `modern day classics'. I'd wanted to read Perks for a long while and I was very excited when it was let, by a friend, to me to take on holiday.

It was definitely unique, I loved the letter styled chapters and Charlie's narration was an...
Published on 23 April 2012 by Books Worth Remembering

5.0 out of 5 stars It Truly Touched Me -- what can I say?, 26 Mar 2004
By A Customer
In this day and age when people are so cynical and cruel, it was a pleasure to read a book from the point of view of a genuinely nice person. Charlie is a "wallflower," meaning he stands back timidly watching others live life, afraid to participate. In the course of the novel, we watch Charlie grow: make friends, go to parties, participate, even fall in love -- in other words, come out of his shell. And by the end we discover why Charlie is unable to participate in life until now; we come to understand the source of his pain. I truly loved this book; and I don't care if other people put it down! The chapters are written in letter format, and the writing is smooth and unpretentious. This is definitely the best book I've read since THE LOSERS CLUB by Richard Perez. And I discovered both books on Amazon. Anyway, if you like genuinely beautiful people, I'm sure you'll love the protagonist of this novel. You may even shed a tear for Charlie...bottom line: you'll be moved!

5.0 out of 5 stars i love it, 27 May 2000
By A Customer
this book is my favourite book of all time. it touched me right to the soul because i related to it on so many levels. i would recommend this book to anyone to who is deep, who doesn't all think life is peachy and who is searching for something. i find sanctuary in this book every time i read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite book- couldn't put it down and i assure you you won't!, 25 Feb 2012
M. A. Hepworth "aprilgracee" (England) - See all my reviews
THIS BOOK. I read it a couple of months back in preparation for the film (admittedly because I knew Emma Watson was going to be in the film) with no real idea of the story or anything, just a few good reviews and a pretty cover. But when I read it I was blown away. The depth of the characters, especially Charlie are amazing and he's so quirky and different. The story is so interesting too, with no boring bits at all, even though it might just be seen as another one of those books about a teenage kid at high school... it's really not. Before I read the book I never understood how people could say "This book changed my life" but it really has, it's given me a whole new perspective on things, a new love for poetry (the suicide not poem is absolutely stunning) and a new music playlist too (One Winter).
I actually read this all in one night because I didn't want to wait and have to put it down.
I'm even re-reading it, am I'm never one to re-read a book because I find it so boring, but I can't say it is because I keep finding new things in it that I couldn't see before.
If you're only on the fence about reading this book please please just do it, I promise you won't regret it.
Thank you Charlie.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 27 Dec 2013
I read the entire book in two days, that's how good this book is! This book was recommended to me by someone, and now it's my time to repay and recommend it to someone else. If you're reading this review and wondering if you should get the book, then go get it! It's amazing! you'll love it. especially if you were a misfit in your teenage years,

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 8 May 1999
By A Customer
What a surprise ending. This book will mean something to everyone who went to high school. The writing was inspiring, and so unique. Who was Charlie writing to? Not knowing this made it so much easier to read, we knew that his words were not holding back, but Charlie put his heart out into what he wrote. This was an amazing book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Kindle Edition)
A beautiful book that you must read before watching the film, different from any book I've read before, absolutely beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love, 21 Dec 2013
"We accept the love we think we deserve".

Great book, great writing, great message. Came on time in excellent condition. Happy customer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tear to my eye, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Kindle Edition)
Start of the book was a little confusing. However when you get in to it it's such a good read and even brought a tear to my eye.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a book written about a teen that is true to life!, 15 Oct 1999
By A Customer
I am still in the process of reading this book but anyone who is considering reading this book should do it. This book reminds me of myself and of any teen. Sometimes while I am reading I am saying,"This is me. I know exactly what he means." It is a wonderful feeling because so many Young Adult books are written for pre-teens and they don't address issues that teens of the 90's are facing.This book is written in an easy-to-read style that reminds me a lot of J.D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye. This book is classified as a Young Adult selection but I believe that anyone will enjoy it. I guarantee that this book will send you back to your teenage years. This book is so good that you will not want it to end!

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant, Bitter-sweet, Deep, Moving and Nostalgic, 6 Aug 2014
Molly Looby - See all my reviews
A Spoiler Free Bit About The Book

Socially awkward Charlie writes a series of letters as he tries to navigate high school, new friends and family conflict while all the while trying to "participate" though his natural instincts are to simply watch and listen. Charlie tries to navigate triumph, failure, friendship, sexuality, honesty, right and wrong while keeping a level head and a heart full of hopes.

My Review

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is the most perfect coming of age story I've ever read. There was so much beauty in this book I'm surprised the pages can contain it.

I was thrust straight into Wallflower by Charlie's sweet innocent voice. In mere sentences I felt like I knew him and I grew to love him more with each passing page. His letters are aimed at you, the reader, and so Charlie is speaking right to you, making it impossible to resist his friendship. The letters are so easy to read, like diaries are, so I struggled to put this book down to go to bed and to get back to work. If I'd picked this book up in the morning of a day off it would've been finished in one sitting.

I must say, I was in the book with Charlie, following him every step of the way. The other characters were all delightfully different, each having a series of good and bad points that came through to me as the reader, regardless of how Charlie viewed them which was fantastic. They were all very real people with very real problems and that made it even easier to read.

Chbosky fills Wallflower with brilliant observations that land straight in your heart and make you think about the world you inhabit. Certain phrases made my head ring and my heart swell like: "And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." Every now and then when I stop working for a moment, this sentence just takes hold of me and it's all I can think of. That is powerful writing.

I've got nothing bad to say because I loved this book. I read 3/4 of it in one sitting without even realising. And I would read it again.

Evaluation

Plot - 7/10 - high school's been done

Way Plot Was Pursued - 10/10 - but it's never been done like this

Characters - 10/10 - authentic and real

Style - 10/10 - the letters were honest and perfect

Pace - 10/10 - couldn't put it down

Would I recommend it? - Yes. For anyone in or out of high school.

Would I look up the author? - Yes, but sadly he mostly writes screenplays.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower was poignant, bitter-sweet, deep, moving and nostalgic. What can I say? I adored every single page.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower