4.0 out of 5 stars experiencing Crank
Published 9 months ago by Mattie Nikkessen

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad formatting
Just bought this and really cross with how badly it reads on a standard kindle. I make ebooks myself so I understand the challenge this graphology must have presented to the designer...however, if it aint fit for purpose, don't sell it! I won't finish it - don't want to press the page turn button three times to turn the page!!
Published 13 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad formatting, 30 Nov 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars experiencing Crank, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Crank (Paperback)
The true-ringing voice of Kristina and the rhythm of the poetic prose drew me straight into the story. I found it courageously told, she didn't seem to hold anything back, didn't try to find excuses for her getting addicted.And I think Ellen Hopkins did a brilliant job on describing the highs of meth, thereby showing how hard it is to shake that addiction - despite the unavoidable lows that follow the highs.
It was a great reading and emotional experience.
I would recommend it to all teenagers, and to a lot of parents.

3.0 out of 5 stars Crank, 8 Oct 2014
This review is from: Crank (Kindle Edition)
When I had first read the description of the book I was extremely excited to start reading it. I thought a book about a teenager who gets on drugs? Why not

The book was a easy read I finished it in two days, I found it quite interesting and was easily hooked

The only downfall to the book, I am warning you guys now because prior reading the comments I was not aware of this, the format of the book is like a poem and at time was very difficult to read and confusing. I got samples of her other two books in this series and I realized the writing format is still the same so although I am curious to find out what happens in part two, I am not sure if I will be purchasing it just because I found the way it was written very stressful to read

5.0 out of 5 stars Pageturner, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: Crank (Paperback)
A poetically written, interesting insight into a completely mesmerising topic. Great metaphors and subliminal meanings. Amazon, as per, had the lowest price (I have staff discount at WH Smiths...), free delivery, decent delivery speed and recyclable, strong packaging so the book was not at all scuffed

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Crank (Paperback)
My daughter loves this book, I haven't read it so I can say much about the book personally, I just had a quick look. I find the layout of the text quite weird but I know she loves to read it so I would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Enticing and addictive..., 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: Crank (Paperback)
This book is incredible... you won't be disappointed! The way in which Hopkins writes is so mesmerising you just have to keep on reading. You instantly connect with the characters and their emotions, absolutely going to buy the whole series and the rest of Hopkin's books too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry for the modern mind; simply mind-blowing!, 27 July 2013
This review is from: Crank (Paperback)
"Wow" was my initial reaction after reading this book/poem. Ellen Hopkins has created poetry for the modern mind; I was hooked from the first page and read it within hours. I knew what I was getting myself into but I didn't expect to love Hopkins style as much as I did.

I hadn't read any of Ellen Hopkins books before so I thought that Crank would be the best place to start as it was her first. Just like the rest of her books, Crank is written in verse. I really enjoyed how the verses were placed differently on each page as it added to the uniqueness (is that even a word?) of the book. Hopkins is able to bring out a lot of raw emotion in so little words, this helped me understand what the main character was feeling throughout different stages in the plot.

In a way this book reminded me of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde as we see two sides to our main character. There's Kristina, a good girl who would never do anything remotely bad and then there's Bree. Bree's a thrill seeking, adrenaline junkie who welcomes danger with loving arms and a warm smile. On a summer trip to her dads we say goodbye to Kristina and soak up in the essence of Bree, for the first time in her life we see Kristina exposing herself to drugs, alcohol and love. I don't think I've ever read a book based around addiction so not only was it interesting but also insightful. Kristina's character is based on Ellen Hopkins own daughter and her dealings with the monster, this makes the book a lot more personal to the author herself. I respect her for sharing this story with us as I think that it shows us readers how drugs not only effect a person but also the others around them.

It was intriguing to see the hold the monster has on Kristina and how it affects her wherever she goes. We get to see its destructive nature and how it gradually changes her as a person. I would've liked to have read a book like this while I was at school as I think it's a great way to show young people the effects of drugs and how they ruin lives.

I cannot put into words how wonderful this book is and the impact it's had on me. I feel that my words do not do it justice; it is definitely one of the hardest books I've ever reviewed. This book is sculpted to perfection, eerie and haunting but one I definitely won't forget soon. I plead that everyone gives it a chance, even if you don't like it you'll still come out with something, an important, powerful knowledge of addiction and the downward spiral that comes with drugs.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Crank (Kindle Edition)
I found the writing style a pain but it was a good read not the best but still kept me reading

5.0 out of 5 stars so different but so good, 18 May 2008
C. L. Sawford - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crank (Paperback)
that pretty much sums it up :)

the whole of this book is written in free verse, the first of its kind that i've read and, after being a bit apprehensive to buy it, i thoroughly enjoyed it!

seriously, i started reading last night and finished this morning, couldn't put it down :)

aaaanway, the book tells the story of a normal teenage girl, kristina, and how easily she falls into the spiral of addiction to meth/crank, or 'the monster' as hopkins so candidly puts it.

kristina is gradually, almost willingly taken over by her rebellious, fearless, seductive alter-ego whom she names Bree. Bree is the exact opposite to Kristina, and this brilliantly written story captures the essence of Kristina/Bree's downward spiral into addiction and its consequences.

Would very much recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really unique, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Crank (Paperback)
This book was like nothing I've read before. Written completely in verse, it was different and interesting - it was certainly well formatted and thought out. Although this book is quite thick, it took hardly any time to get through as, aside from it being in verse, it was very captivating. I don't think I'd have liked this book so much if it wasn't formatted the way that it was, but the effectiveness of the lines and singled out words was great. I found it quite difficult to read at parts, but that added to everything - the words were spinning around in my head, much like they would be in Bree/Kristina's head. Unfortunately, I did find it quite difficult to connect or empathize with Bree. A good book to show what an addict of Crank could go through as it was based on real-life experiences, this is a quick read that I'd recommend.

Crank