on 25 September 2012
I have just purchased the g1x despite reading all the reviews and some of the negative blurb. I am also a DSLR owner Canon 550d with lenses, and I am not someone who always stays with one brand. I do a lot of homework and image testing first.
I can say first off the G1X is a brilliant little camera that takes DSLR PHOTOS, It equals my 550d DSLR and in some shots it's slightly better due to that quality lens they have put on it.
I agree in principle with some of the comments, i.e. poor macro....(but take the photo by switching over to macro the crop it and enlarge it on the (Canon simple picture adjustment software)....I have got some fantastically sharp shots).
The other main criticism was the slow focusing; I have not found this to be a problem at all, unless you want to take continuous sports shots.
The comments about the view finder being useless are unfounded. Yes it's not a DSLR but it's sold as a Professional travel camera.
I use the view finder most of the time, as I need glasses for reading and I have just adjusted the viewfinder to my magnification. This saves me having to find my glasses, which I wouldn't normal carry with me as I only need slight magnification for reading, but enough that the LCD screen is not that clear. Also when the sun is shining the screen whilst very good does lose some of its appeal.
I mainly use the G1X on auto which is very good. However I would recommend that you use P program which is also auto but with the ability for you to and set your own adjustments up to improve that already terrific picture. I have (under the function button. then AC custom colour) push function again and you can adjust the sharpness (I went for +2) and the contrast ( I went for +1) I left the rest as standard. Then under function Button for white balance adjust (mine is AWB..then push menu button and you can move the dot around, I went for a3.0 just three notches to the right. This has made the pictures warmer. I used the front of my house as a test piece and took shots in standard auto, then under P my final adjustments and the difference is way better when you put them up on the computer.
PS it also makes a massive difference to the picture if you have a good computer screen. I use my Acer laptop and everyone comments on the clarity of my photos, even my wife !!!!!!
The zoom lens is X4 but if you need to get closer just crop the image on the computer and zoom it in after all you have 14.1 megapixels to play with. I have some great shots by doing this.
Finally by now enough is known about the G1X, and those early punters who just bought the latest hyped camera out, instead of really analysing what they need it.
Finally this is a terrific travel camera with undisputed DSLR quality, with superb picture image quality. I use JPEG not RAW. I now leave the DSLR and lenses at home and take the G1X. It's bigger than its near rival the Sony RX100 which I looked at but in the end for me it's about the final image quality, and that's where the G1X wins. Check out dpreview web site and you can compare the quality of most cameras side by side. Actually compared next to my DSLR with the 18x135 lens it looks like a baby.
Hope you have found this review to be an unbiased true account of the camera, PS you occasionally find these on EBAY (2 this week) as they are now app a year old and the buyers who bought them for the wrong uses as mentioned above are selling them.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2015
I was in two minds about getting this as a replacement for my G11, either this or the Mk 2 G1x. Make no mistake this is a great little camera, little being the operative word as its not so little and a struggle to call it a 'pocket camera' but I prefer a sturdy camera that you can grip. The photographs that it produces are very, very good due to the high specifications and I am very pleased with the results. Having just spent a day lugging around my 60D with a couple of lenses I am pleased that I purchased the compact G1x to take on holiday with me. There are are a couple of negatives, as stated this is a heavy and perhaps bulky little camera but thats fine with me. The second is that the auto focus is recognised as being slow, so you have to be patient and I could not recommend for sports photography. The lens is superb but you have to remember to take the cap off each time that you want to use it, this can be rectified by purchasing an independent make 'auto' lens cap. Last of all the viewfinder is useless, you are better off using the high resolution screen which I cannot fault. Canon have rectified these faults and produced a G1x Mk11 but is lot more expensive and due to this you can pick up a bargain G1x MK1. In time I expect that I will gravitate towards the G1x MK11 as it does have a higher spec. But in the meantime I am delighted with my G1x MK1.
on 10 September 2012
Like many photographers, I could not always be bothered to carry a full DSLR kit everywhere with me and have been looking for a small, high quality camera to carry with me in my pocket at all times. This is the one I have been waiting for. I cannot add much more than has already been said by the photo press about it's fantastic lens and image sensor which is the same one found on the EOS650D and is about 4x the size of the G12, plus its ability to take RAW pics, but one of my criteria was to have a view finder. The one on this camera has an optical zoom with it and that's about all. No display of any description in the view finder and the camera lens does get in the way a bit. But, it is great for taking the odd candid shot where you do not want to be seen lighting the place up with the excellent screen. This camera, however, has converted me to using the "Live View" mode of shooting as the screen, being articulated, can be angled out of bright sunlight where my previous point and shoot IXUS would not have coped. One other thing that I have discovered is that it can take Infra-red photos as there is no infrared blocking filter in this camera, all one needs is a screw in infrared filter over the lens to start taking some interesting pics. I have since bought a set of Cokin P filters which attach via a 58mm adaptor to the lens.
on 20 May 2014
An amazing camera. The resolution and screen is breathtaking. I'm not a pro photographer - i just enjoy taking snaps. I dont want the complication of a DSLR but want the ability to have a tinkle and explore different settings from time to time. I've owned the G10, G11 and G12 previously & the G10 is probably my pick of the three - but this is in a different class.
The negatives of the GX1:
The macro is no where as good as the G10, 11 or 12. You need to be approx 15-20cm away to properly focus. The G10 could focus from 1-2cm.
Weight and size - this is heavier and deeper than the aforementioned...
Pop up flash - matter of tastes - i did prefer the flash built in.
Manual Lens cover - no chance of the lens developing the famous scratches and marks as the others suffer from.
Incredible photographs from its enormous and amazing sensor.
Sharp and clear images - almost every time.
Incredible build quality.
Ready to shoot almost instantly.
Forgiving technology.

This will produce practically professional quality photos for you - no training, experience or qualifications required.

If you've owned a G10-12 (i havent owned a G15 or G16) & are considering buying one of these - Do. Its cheaper than the G15 & G16 anyway. Its built to last - more so than the G10 etc. Feels like real quality that will last forever.

Its the best camera i have ever owned and takes amazing shots in bright and low light, portraits and landscapes. Detail and effects. Just a work of art and a truly great camera. I only wish the Macro was better closer up - but all considered couldnt be happier with this professional consumer camera.
on 26 December 2014
Camera was in condition as described quick delivery,produces beautiful files as good as my DSLR read reviews on the camera websites all say the same about the files,viewfinder and macro mode let the camera down if you can work around these then a great camera well built,for me it is a great buy.
on 15 July 2015
With image quality the equal of a crop dslr, a sensor bigger than micro 4/3rds and a very useful zoom this is the best large compact on the market, if you can accept it's limitations.

It's not a camera to stick on auto, it's a camera that needs learning and customising. Use RAW and the excellent addon JJC auto lenscap and accept that you will have to drop into the (limited) macro mode more often that expected and see how sharp and contrasty your results will be.

I have also added a clearviewer magnifier, which makes it much easier to use

It's a quirky gem for users with a bit of experience who care about image quality but don't want to cart a dslr kit round with them
on 26 April 2015
I bought this camera as an alternative to humping a DSLR around while on holidays but haven't had time to use all the functions on the camera yet. It sure does look the business and I am pleased with what I see .
on 31 July 2015
I think think the ins/outs have been covered so my personal view is I think the camera is brilliant but only in the manual modes not the auto, some may disagree but for the money this cost on release you expect better for the casual snapper, I never agree with the nonsense about professional cameras, it's only about experience and the level you want to go to with photography, everybody at this price deserves a good pic but in jpeg from the auto modes it can't deliver and it should. So on a limb if it's just point and shoot an that's all you want look at something a little less needy but if you want to experiment and really get into things here is a good start.
on 7 April 2015
FANTASTIC !!!!!dslr quality in a small but rugged package awesome camera. buy it.
on 10 February 2015
a brilliant carmera compact and crammed full of features and feels very robust

See one answered question