5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine review, 25 Sept. 2012
K. Roberts (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon Powershot G1X ( 15 MP,4 x Optical Zoom,3 -inch LCD ) (Electronics)
I have just purchased the g1x despite reading all the reviews and some of the negative blurb. I am also a DSLR owner Canon 550d with lenses, and I am not someone who always stays with one brand. I do a lot of homework and image testing first.
I can say first off the G1X is a brilliant little camera that takes DSLR PHOTOS, It equals my 550d DSLR and in some shots it's slightly better due to that quality lens they have put on it.
I agree in principle with some of the comments, i.e. poor macro....(but take the photo by switching over to macro the crop it and enlarge it on the (Canon simple picture adjustment software)....I have got some fantastically sharp shots).
The other main criticism was the slow focusing; I have not found this to be a problem at all, unless you want to take continuous sports shots.
The comments about the view finder being useless are unfounded. Yes it's not a DSLR but it's sold as a Professional travel camera.
I use the view finder most of the time, as I need glasses for reading and I have just adjusted the viewfinder to my magnification. This saves me having to find my glasses, which I wouldn't normal carry with me as I only need slight magnification for reading, but enough that the LCD screen is not that clear. Also when the sun is shining the screen whilst very good does lose some of its appeal.
I mainly use the G1X on auto which is very good. However I would recommend that you use P program which is also auto but with the ability for you to and set your own adjustments up to improve that already terrific picture. I have (under the function button. then AC custom colour) push function again and you can adjust the sharpness (I went for +2) and the contrast ( I went for +1) I left the rest as standard. Then under function Button for white balance adjust (mine is AWB..then push menu button and you can move the dot around, I went for a3.0 just three notches to the right. This has made the pictures warmer. I used the front of my house as a test piece and took shots in standard auto, then under P my final adjustments and the difference is way better when you put them up on the computer.
PS it also makes a massive difference to the picture if you have a good computer screen. I use my Acer laptop and everyone comments on the clarity of my photos, even my wife !!!!!!
The zoom lens is X4 but if you need to get closer just crop the image on the computer and zoom it in after all you have 14.1 megapixels to play with. I have some great shots by doing this.
Finally by now enough is known about the G1X, and those early punters who just bought the latest hyped camera out, instead of really analysing what they need it.
Finally this is a terrific travel camera with undisputed DSLR quality, with superb picture image quality. I use JPEG not RAW. I now leave the DSLR and lenses at home and take the G1X. It's bigger than its near rival the Sony RX100 which I looked at but in the end for me it's about the final image quality, and that's where the G1X wins. Check out dpreview web site and you can compare the quality of most cameras side by side. Actually compared next to my DSLR with the 18x135 lens it looks like a baby.
Hope you have found this review to be an unbiased true account of the camera, PS you occasionally find these on EBAY (2 this week) as they are now app a year old and the buyers who bought them for the wrong uses as mentioned above are selling them.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent camera, ideal to stuff in your pocket, 10 Sept. 2012
Amazon Customer "Ribeye" (MIRFIELD, West Yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Like many photographers, I could not always be bothered to carry a full DSLR kit everywhere with me and have been looking for a small, high quality camera to carry with me in my pocket at all times. This is the one I have been waiting for. I cannot add much more than has already been said by the photo press about it's fantastic lens and image sensor which is the same one found on the EOS650D and is about 4x the size of the G12, plus its ability to take RAW pics, but one of my criteria was to have a view finder. The one on this camera has an optical zoom with it and that's about all. No display of any description in the view finder and the camera lens does get in the way a bit. But, it is great for taking the odd candid shot where you do not want to be seen lighting the place up with the excellent screen. This camera, however, has converted me to using the "Live View" mode of shooting as the screen, being articulated, can be angled out of bright sunlight where my previous point and shoot IXUS would not have coped. One other thing that I have discovered is that it can take Infra-red photos as there is no infrared blocking filter in this camera, all one needs is a screw in infrared filter over the lens to start taking some interesting pics. I have since bought a set of Cokin P filters which attach via a 58mm adaptor to the lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing. A HUGE step up from the G10, G11 and G12 + cheaper than G15 & G16!!!!!, 20 May 2014
An amazing camera. The resolution and screen is breathtaking. I'm not a pro photographer - i just enjoy taking snaps. I dont want the complication of a DSLR but want the ability to have a tinkle and explore different settings from time to time. I've owned the G10, G11 and G12 previously & the G10 is probably my pick of the three - but this is in a different class.
The negatives of the GX1:
The macro is no where as good as the G10, 11 or 12. You need to be approx 15-20cm away to properly focus. The G10 could focus from 1-2cm.
Weight and size - this is heavier and deeper than the aforementioned...
Pop up flash - matter of tastes - i did prefer the flash built in.
Pros:
Manual Lens cover - no chance of the lens developing the famous scratches and marks as the others suffer from.
Incredible photographs from its enormous and amazing sensor.
Sharp and clear images - almost every time.
Incredible build quality.
Ready to shoot almost instantly.
Forgiving technology.

This will produce practically professional quality photos for you - no training, experience or qualifications required.

If you've owned a G10-12 (i havent owned a G15 or G16) & are considering buying one of these - Do. Its cheaper than the G15 & G16 anyway. Its built to last - more so than the G10 etc. Feels like real quality that will last forever.

Its the best camera i have ever owned and takes amazing shots in bright and low light, portraits and landscapes. Detail and effects. Just a work of art and a truly great camera. I only wish the Macro was better closer up - but all considered couldnt be happier with this professional consumer camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little point and shoot camera, 24 Sept. 2014
Brilliant little point and shoot camera. I have had the Canon Powershot point and shoot cameras for a while now. If you just want to point and shoot then this little baby is for you. You get a great range of filter effects. You just cant produce a bad photo. Ive got brilliant photos that im very proud of. The zoom is great as well. I use it when i take the kids to the zoo.

5.0 out of 5 stars G1X, 26 Dec. 2014
Dp Dennis - See all my reviews
Camera was in condition as described quick delivery,produces beautiful files as good as my DSLR read reviews on the camera websites all say the same about the files,viewfinder and macro mode let the camera down if you can work around these then a great camera well built,for me it is a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A DSLR it is, well almost., 29 April 2014
I thought about this for a long time then the Mk2 or the G1X ll appeared so I bought this, quick, it is far far superior to any other viewfinder digital camera, and you can fasten a lens hood and filter (via an adapter).with the lens retracted. A DSLR it is, well almost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, 28 Feb. 2013
this camera is semi professional camera. You can use it in auto or you can improve yourself by the manual options. I have this camera for 6-7 months now and am very happy that i bough it.

5.0 out of 5 stars never thought i would see this quality, 7 Jun. 2014
sparky_67 (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
.......from a compact, very happy all round little corner vignetting under extremes and focusing distances a bit long and slow add the accessories from china and its all go, snaps of dslr quality and the lens is pretty good too, prefer this to the better quality of my m as its always with me, its better than the new one mainly because of the viewfinder which you can learn to guess, i am happy i bought it as i take pictures every day my dslr and m only rarely used and my old g11 is now replaced and whilst it was wonderful this is better, its not for action shots or sport which suits me fine

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice camera, 11 Mar. 2014
Very nice camera just like new one
It looks really good so far and It is the stuff that I really want!