4.0 out of 5 stars Good performance but short on features
Firstly, it should be said that this is a high end modem router and is designed for use with a dial-up telephone line based adsl internet service and not for use with a cable or external modem.

This router has a modern and up to date appearance, stylish and suitably high tech and will look well on any work desk or even in the living room.

The wizard...
Published on 23 May 2012 by marcoscu

1.0 out of 5 stars Unstable, useless 2nd wifi frequency
Occasional disconnections with the Orange supplied router were frustrating my son for his gaming, therefore I purchased this sophisticated looking asus. Despite the range of adjustments the ASUS could not be made to be stable. Also the 2nd wireless band had almost no useful range. Good on paper, but no use in our small mid terrace house.
Published 4 months ago by tiredoldgit

‹ Previous | 110 11 12 13 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars although i was told it was really user friendly, ..., 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Asus DSL-N55U - 300Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router ADSL 2/2+ Modem Router, 802.11n, Gigabit Lan, Gigabit LAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP Server, HD Streaming, 3 Year Warranty (Accessory)
although i was told it was really user friendly, it isn't. I've given up trying having to call an engineer in to do it for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you run a home network AVOID!!!!, 23 Mar 2013
I'll start off by saying that I had an Orange BrightBox router from my ISP given to me for free when I signed up for their broadband.... dosen't sound very appealing yes I know and as I have a network that consists of the following in my house:
- Ethernet Computer
- 1Gbps HP N40L Microserver & VPN Server
- Raspberry Pi running OpenElec 200mbps Ethernet (Streams from server)
- 4 iPhones
- Samsung Galaxy S3
- Kodak wireless networked printer
- iPad 2
- Asus VivoTab Smart ME400C

Now for a home yes it's very complex and I started to outgrow our little stable BrightBox as I needed the computers is the house to be able to access the server quicker and the 100mbps connections on the router weren't up to it so I needed to utilise the full Gigabit. Also our 2.4Ghz Wireless was struggling with all the devices and access to the server and internet was slow also... so in the end my Girlfriend bought me this router for my birthday as I've been wanting it for ages. Set-up was easy and it connected to the internet straight away and after I updated the firmware it all looked very nice and appealing so I set off and made some adjustments.

First on my list was to get my VPN server up and running so instead of putting more strain on my server I got rid of my VPN connection and wanted to use the router as a VPN connection as it also comes with free DDNS and as I have a dynamic IP address I thought this was great. VPN didn't work period worked for a day and then stopped responding contacted Asus and I have never spoke to such idiotic people in my life (they didn't know what they were talking about) so I gave up on it being a VPN server and port forwarded all my VPN Server on my HP machine and tadaa it worked again so I could ignore it if that feature didn't work as I had a backup.
Next I moved on to Parental Control on the router great concept, graphical interface was loving it and WOW it worked brilliant stopped my brother going on the internet after his bed time as he was staying on it till 3 in the morning though in the morning woke up and it had disabled every machine for internet access even though it was only set up on my brother iPad and it should of come back on in the morning!!! So after that I thought it must be something wrong with the firmware so gave it a wipe started again set it all up..... Still didn't work rubbish.

Second my Kodak wireless printer wouldn't stay connected apparently it's a problem with Asus's firmware and it loses connection to printing devices unless USB connected so that no longer works.

Third my Internet connection is stable some days others it's a nightmare and never had this problem with the brightbox. All it's done since I've got it is create more problems I'm having to solve and this was meant to make my life easier.

Don't be tempted it looks nice and shiny and reads well on paper, practical side of things is a different story and it is a huge shame :( and just to add the 5ghz wifi struggles to reach the room next door to the router.
If you know anything about networking you will steer clear of this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars A heap of junk!....."do not buy!", 20 April 2013
The only reason I am compelled to review this product is, that once it arrived it created a lot of stress in my life.
Out of the box and installing the product was an absolutely breeze. Then the decline of satisfaction decreases!.
I purchased this router to replace my sagem router (the silver one that looks like a mini sky box), as that was dropping connection daily after a year of very good performance. I thought a 100 investment worthwhile if it produced consistent performance. Boy, was I wrong!!
On start up I was impressed, reaching faster speeds (upto 9mbps from 7) using both bands (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz). I was happy. The next morning grabbed my ipad, and the wifi was connected but websites took about 10 seconds to load.
I tested the connection and from 9mpbs I received 0.5mbps! This lead to my enquiry on asus support website.
Long story short, the firmware has various issues and is reported by many users, and the latest firmware .335 is in a beta version, which is their "most stable".
I ended up wasting probably wasting 24 hours of my life, through a product which quite frankly should NOT BE SOLD, as it is NOT RELIABLE. I will never by an ASUS networking product again.
Do you self a favor and listen to the negative reviews on this product, I wish I had!!
On the other hand Amazon are absolutely marvellous, within 36 hours of sending this heap of junk back I had the money back into my Account, Amazon I wish you never sold such inferior products.
My quest for a new ADSL router now lies with the BILLION 7800n!

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish product, 8 April 2013
signal is very weak for wireless . no speed at all . changed to netgear dual band excellent product..the best speed

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably a very good Modem / Router, 5 May 2012
Paul Elkington (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this item due to the dual frequency (2.4GHz & 5GHz) performance and the ADSL modem. A friend of mine has the modem free version, and is very pleased with it.

The build seems good, and of course there are lots of blue LEDs all over the place, which makes it look cool.

Why three stars? Well sadly, I couldn't use it, as my ISP requires MAC address spoofing to login. This means that you need to be able to enter the MAC address of the original router your ISP sent you into this replacement router. I know BE* and O2 use this method, and some others do too.

Quite unbelievably, this isn't a function on the ASUS, even though it is available on my 5 year old Netgear. I can't believe modems are still being made without this function.

So sadly it has had to go back, which is a real shame.

1.0 out of 5 stars Daily line drop outs, 22 Feb 2014
Seta - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Internet connection drop outs several times a day. Played around with S/N ratio, but drop outs keep coming back.

The original firmware shipped with the DSL router was 3.0.0.4.364 and after updating through router's interface, new version is now 3.0.0.4.188. How did the device decide an earlier firmware version was an update??

I have no idea what latest firmware this device should be running, the Asus web page is far TOO confusing, and I no idea how to fix line drop outs.

My ISP's old, cheap and dated router is better than the Asus DSL-N55U. A waste of money. Buy something else or just stick to whatever router your ISP supplied.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good ADSL2+ and Wifi, Bonjour issues for Air Print and Time Machine, 1 Aug 2012
Bought this to replace a flakey DLink from Virgin Media that kept having PPP issues. Pleased to say that the DSL2+ side is working without issue.

On the LAN side I found that I am unable to get AirPrint to work either from my Macbook Pro or iPhone/iPad. Although the router notices there is a printer function associated with my WiFi printer, it would seem that Bonjour is not supported very well. My MBP also fails to see my NAS as a option to use for Time Machine backups. I am not an expert on Apple protocols, but it seems something is amiss with Bonjour.

Assigning static IP's or fixed DHCP IP addresses is also not very easy.

The Asus website is difficult to use and the web GUI seems to lack usability.

So for the simple stuff it works fine, however for the price it needs to be better at the more advanced settings. Hopefully a Firmware update will improve things.

4.0 out of 5 stars Asus Router, 4 Aug 2014
Great and good reception

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely poor stability DSL connection stability., 19 April 2013
Could not keep ADSL2+ connection for more than a few minutes each time. Needed rebooting to re-establish DSL connection. Claimed dual core processor does not exhibit any speed/performance benefits in light of poor ADSL2+ stability. Wasted a lot of time trying to get it to work.

1.0 out of 5 stars supposed to be really good, 1 Dec 2012
I bought this thinking it would provide really good wifi and adsl connection for the computers and other stuff that uses internet in our house. I've never known a modem/router drop the connection so much; my printer now won't work from one of my PC's (I think I'm going to have to return it to factory settings) and to top it all, there are literally no instructions to help and what instructions there are are written only for people with a degree in IT What about those who don't know what WPS is for etc etc. DON'T BUY.

‹ Previous | 110 11 12 13 | Next ›