on 27 March 2013
I intially wanted the asus dsl-n55u due to the NAS feature, but bought the Billion 7800n based upon all the very good reviews and the fact its almost universally recommended for broadband at long distances from the exchange which i have. With snr tweaking the billion got me 4mbs which was great for my line. long story short... poor wifi, wifi disconnections and admin lockouts. back it went.

I thought id give the asus a go. It shipped with the latest firmware. i loaded it again anyway just to be sure (twice, with the hard reset as recommended) Set up was a breeze. Checked my connection.... Boom! 4mb with a default setup. no tweaks at all! The range of the wifi is fantastic, easily beating the billion. I will attempt tweaks at some point soon, but im more than happy at the moment.

I've connected a usb flashdrive to my router and set up the media server with a click of a button. now i can stream videos straight from my router to my TV, ipad and iphone. it's awesome.

The only downside to this router is the documentation if you want to go anything further than set up the ADSL or wifi. It's not great and there's no where near as many forums covering this as the billion, but for £30 less and with the usb ports, 5ghz wifi faster adsl i know which i'd rather have. It's been rock solid so far. I know the original firmware wasnt great, so ignore the original reviews, its sorted now with the latest firmware. 5 star product without doubt!
on 8 August 2014
Important update, please read below
-----------------------------------

I have owned this router for over a week and been having a hell of a time with the DSL ping and speed. I search everywhere online on how to resolve x2 higher ping (from 15ms to 30ms) without success. Firstly you must remember that any new router will face the dreaded DLM ( Dynamic Line Management - https://ttb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/651/~/dlm-%28dynamic-line-management%29 ) that can last week(s) finding the optimum speed. But anyway, here are the things to help.

Here's how to improve speed and decrease ping:

1. Update firmware

2. [wireless] settings
a) Disable [WPS] (security risks)
b) 2.4 GHz
i) Disable [b/g Protection]
ii) Set [Channel bandwidth] to [20 mhz]
iii) Set [Control Channel] to one of [1, 6, 11]
c) 5 GHz (Dont touch)
3. [WAN] settings
a) Disable [uPNP] (security risks)
b) Set [Connect to DNS Server automatically?] to [no] and add [8.8.8.8] and [8.8.4.4] to DNS Server 1 and 2 (Google Public DNS).
c) !important part! Set [MTU] to [1442] and [TCP MSS Option] to [1400] (Improve ping and connection speed).

4. [Advanced] settings, select [DSL Setting] tab
a) Set [DSL Modulation] to [VDSL2] (vDSL line)
b) Set [Rx AGC GAIN Adjustment (VDSL)] to [performance].

I couldn't be more than happier now, extremely fast and great WiFi range/speed! Good luck!

----------------------------------------

Update: 2014-09-16

Unfortunately I've found my vDSL connection dropping again and with the recent DLM effects my connection speed has dropped from 48Mbps to 20Mps. Looked at Asus wireless forum and it seems others are experiencing the same. Follow [vdslhelp] posts, I'm hoping my DSL speeds return to normal. It seems the DSL-N66U isn't ready for vDSL yet, due to firmware issues..?

When the DSL-N66U had a connection, the download/upload speed were slightly faster. The upload had increased from 12Mbps to 16Mbps, but my ping had increased from 15 to 30 back to 20 in addition to this I was experiencing a lot more CRC errors.

33 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 May 2012
Style Name: N600 Mbps + ADSL/VDSL modem|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Firstly, it should be said that this is a high end modem router and is designed for use with a dial-up telephone line based adsl internet service and not for use with a cable or external modem.

This router has a modern and up to date appearance, stylish and suitably high tech and will look well on any work desk or even in the living room.

The wizard based setup was easy and straightforward and for most users all they need to do is input their ISP user name and password to access the internet with no need to use the supplied CD. Many adsl routers such as the AVM Fritz! Box Fon 7390 Wireless 4 Port VDSL/ADSL2+ Router DECT VoIP Phone Adaper that I usually use myself now support internet access from a cable, external modem or another router. Not so this router which is limited to an adsl connection only. Although Asus claim a maximum speed of 600Mbps this is slightly disingenuous as this is in fact the combined speed of the 2.4 and 5Ghz network streams. Rival high end routers from Netgear and other now support a single band connection of 450Mbps or higher - although few network adapters yet can handle this. Perhaps I overlooked it but I could not see anyway of using this router as a repeater to another existing router network. As another review has already pointed out this device does not allow for MAC address spoofing - this is a way of fooling some ISPs that insist on their own specific routers being used by allowing the user to input a suitable MAC address into the router settings and which is then passed on to the ISP during the connection process.

Like most of the current generation of routers this one offers a built in Media Server, FTP Server and (via a separate utility program on the CD) a Printer Server. The easy to configure QoS settings ensures that network traffic will be given suitable priority your needs. No sign of dedicated hardware VOIP support of the type used across the AVM Fritz!box range.

This is a top of the range product and delivers a high level of reliable performance. It has many advanced features perhaps not required by the average user but seems to be lacking some others to be found in routers of comparable price.

The Good
Wifi on/off and Reset switches on case
Two USB ports
Printer server
Media server
FTP server
Gigabit LAN
Table or wall mounting
Free Asus DDNS service
Aerials are detachable for storage
Easy to configure QoS settings
Good build quality
Dual band 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks separately configurable

The Bad
300Mbps speed max
No hardware VOIP support
User Interface is old fashioned
No support for external or cable modems
No support for MAC address spoofing
No support for use as a Repeater
No Guest network
33 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 October 2014
I have spent the last 5 days since receiving this router, trying to get theVDSL connection to stay up. As reported by other reviews, there is a major issue with the modem side that causes it to drop the DSL connection regularly, despite updating the firmware tothe latest version (1.0.7.7) that was specifically meant to address this issue (and believe me, updating the firmware on this router from a Mac was no walk I the park but I'll not go into details here).

Furthermore, the WiFi performance is terrible. I have read some reviews stating that it gets better with time. That may be the case but my ps4, situated in the next room (8 meters away through a thin plasterboard partition that passes for a wall in new houses these days) can only get 4.7 Mbps download and 2.3 Mbps up. My BT HH5 was giving me 18/7Mbps!

These aren't just figures; in the real world my LG TV struggled to detect a signal and stutters on streaming and an ATV3 in the same room took so long to load a movie over LAN (!) that I gave up (the file was being streamed from my iMac). I won't go into all the issues I've had but I consider myself to have pretty good IT knowledge and I've spent about 20 hours over the last 5 days trying to sort these issues out with no real success.

In summary;

Positives - it looks good, No it really does and has a very small footprint.

Negatives:
- frequent DSL drops (1-2x daily). If you're in the middle of an online game this is a killer
-WiFi terrible (both speed and range - worse than a BT HH5)
-bug ridden firmware (ie enabling UPNP has not the slightest benefit in enabling services such as Plex and also causes immediate DSL connection)

If the router accomplished half of what the manufacturers claim I'd be happy. This barely scrapes a percentage point.. Really is not fit for purpose and unless my call to Asus resolves these issues, it is going back PDQ

EDIT: 15/10/14

I contacted ASUS support, who I have to admit were very friendly and helpful. I was advised to go back to the latest firmware (I had downgraded back to factory shipped firmware out of pure desperation) that gives the option to tweak the upstream VDSL power (and ADSL if you have that), I had already done this a little without success but support suggested I try maximum values. OK, fairly logical. Unfortunately it would not connect at all to my isp with these values, so had to try lower ones.
I did notice that the wifi signal strength seemed to have improved with the newer firmware, incidentally. I could now get -44dBm signal strength, with a connection speed of 150Mbs (the maximum supported on my galaxy note 3 on 5G N band apparently) but the range was no better than my HH5 still, as out on the patio I could no longer get a signal on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz. Interestingly the internet connection speed didn't improve and was still a poor 4/2Mbs on the PS4 for example.

I also didn't really have the chance to see whether the increased dsl power had any affect on dropped WAN connections as things were abruptly brought to a head when my daughter had a rant about her "ping speed being 7000ms on league of legends" making it unplayable.

I ordered the Netgear R7000 and plugged it into my basic Huawei BT supplied modem that for the last 2 years has been quietly getting on with the job without so much as a single reset (so much for the single box idea). The Netgear is far better, admittedly it is another £50 and to be honest looks like some alien monstrous spaceship has landed on my desk (it's looks won't suit some, not even sure they suit me!) but you can't argue with performance. Daughter's happy: ping now down to 50ms apparently; I'm hoping it will pick up from this once my ISP establishes a steady vdsl connection with the Huawei again.

It's probably not fair to directly compare the 2 routers as the Netgear has AC but for anybody still interested, it has better than -40dbm signal strength (WiFi Analyzer only goes up to -40dBm - the lower the number the better BTW). On the patio with 5G (probably AC) I get signal strength of -70dbm and connection speed of 87Mbps and even on 2.4GHz i still get a connection speed of13Mbps. Bearing in mind that there was no signal from the ASUS.

It is shame as the ASUS really is a nice looking all in one bit of kit with a tiny footprint conpared to the behemoth that is the Netgear R7000 Just wished that it would work.

Finally for the sake of complletion and the waning hope that the ASUS would somehow "spring into action", I was prepared to forego the inbuilt DSL and connect it to the Huwai modem. Unfortunately it did not improve things and had been on for no more than a couple of hours when my daughter, having just returned from college started complaining about 8000ms ping rates and her FPS was so slow that it would be quicker for her to draw the frames by hand. It has to go back I'm afraid.

Anyone thinking of buying this modem/router needs to be prepared to dedicate a significant amount of time and effort to get it to work correctly, even if that's possible. I couldn't manage it and gave up after about 20 hours: and I would say that I'm fairly good with IT, oh and also retired!

Netgear = plug and play. Spent no more than 5 minutes setting this up and after the ASUS .....little perturbed by simplicity :0
on 25 March 2013
I was using an AOL modem router with two edimax range extenders. Trouble was that the connection kept dropping out with ipad and iphones, also with the smart TV. This was was a real pain. Having a large and old house with thick walls, that goes a long way back, didnt help with signals either.
This model took literally minutes to set up. I'm not a techno but not stupid either, but set up was no problem at all. It basically sorted itself out using the set up disc. This was pleasing given the hours spent setting up previous modem and then the range extenders.
The signal throughout the whole house is great - no need now for the range extenders anymore.
The smart TV is set up wirelessly and steams films with ease. No signal drop outs/lost connection. The ipad and iphone signal is consistently good with no drop outs.
Speed is also significantly improved on devises.
The set itself looks stylish enough and its really handy having the 4 ports to connect second as its not wireless.
The devise has features i don't need or am likely to use but now I have it I'll see how these may be of use/can figure out how to use!
What I wanted was a powerful and stable modem router and thats what I've got, and again, so easy to set up. I now feel I have a devise that meets all my networking needs, with out having to set up extenders or worrying about whether the streamed film will keep stopping part way through.
Only negative is that the box feels a little warm to the touch.
At present I have no reason not to reccommend this model to anyone else.

Update, signal strength is only two bars instead of full three without range extender but this doesn't cause any problems with streaming and access around house. Just to get best possible signal I have reinstalled range extender with the smart tv, just to be on safe side. What I am pleased about is I've had not one drop out yet, so that's mission accomplished.

Also, buying from Amazon, this arrived after 3 days using the free delivery option, great!
on 6 September 2012
Not a computer geek, so don't ask me to explain all the fancy stuff it can do. I can explain from my point of view.

My Wifi was struggling to cope with all the stuff connected to it, or so I was told. Apple tv, iPad, phones, printers, laptops, play stations the norm stuff a normal family have.

Opened the box, plugged it in, followed the instructions on screen, apple stuff on the 5 band thingy all the other stiff on the 2.4 band thingy and it all works.

Netflix, apple tv works well without stalling, ipad super quick... other laptops/playstations, I have no idea as the children just grunt, eat and fester in their own pits but assume it all works.

I reckon it was worth the £109 quid it cost just to stop the kids whining... result!!
on 17 February 2016
As I'm subscribed to BT infinity 2, I upgraded my HomeHub 3 to the HomeHub 5 and have been using it for the past two years, but my experience with it is far from perfect, it has always given me issues. I had to call BT several times to set it up and get it going, despite the fact the HomeHub 5 was supposed to eliminate the need for the OpenReach modem, I still used it because it simply wouldn’t work without it. Eventually BT managed to resolve the problems with my line and it worked without the OpenReach modem. Then we moved house late last year and had to go through the same palaver all over again.

Not sure if others have had similar problems but the HomeHub 5 would even struggle to do the most rudimentary things, such as software and app updates on more than one device at a time – if I tried to update two or three at a time, it would lock-up and the only remedy would be to turn off the devices and/or the router and start all over again, so became far simpler to update my devices at work on the wifi. But unfortunately the problems wouldn’t end there, the wireless connection has always been intermittent, the physical connections have cut out forcing me to unplug and plug them in again to work and the HomeHub 5 was forever cutting out and restarting at various points of the day, sometimes multiple times in one hour and sometimes for several hours in a day.

As a gamer / streamer, someone who owns many devices and computers and my wife as a PhD student this was causing countless headaches and frustrations from our previous property to our new one. I was sure from my process of elimination that the problem was not the devices nor was it my BT Infinity connection and BT were being their usually uncooperative selves. It got to the point where I couldn’t contact them again, I had just washed my hands with it. It’s like the scenario where you take your phone back to the shop and after the repair it comes back worse! So I knew eventually I would just have to cave in a buy a third-party solution

So I did and so far I have been thoroughly impressed, putting it short the AC68U is a godsend!! I thought the instructions were misleading, they always give you a few brief steps. Connect a laptop. Turn it on. Enter settings. Wait for the solid lights. And away you go. Normally it is never that simple… well I was proved wrong – it is that simple, literally all I had to do was enter my country, the ISP and then enter the BT broadband login information (from the HomeHub 5). It detected the settings automatically and configured itself. It was alive and kicking in just under ten minutes.

I really love the configuration GUI, it is so much easier to navigate and configure, it feels reminiscent of the UEFI on modern motherboards than the regular bog-standard web browser interfaces you would have been familiar with from before. You just feel like you are in more control. The features are needless to say – vast. One feature I particularly like is that as we are the proud owners of an ASUS Transformer with a free cloud storage account called ASUS WebStorage, you can actually sign in to your account on the AC68U and when you connect an external USB 3 drive, you can share the drive and access it remotely via the cloud from anywhere.

So far, I am so impressed with this and urge anyone with BT Broadband or any ADSL/VDSL connection to upgrade. Okay so you aren't going to magically gain bandwidth on SpeedTest but you are going to get a more reliable home network that is capable of catering for a mix of various phones, tablets, computers, smart TV boxes, games consoles and laptops. It's good when you can see the difference for yourself and you know the purchase was justified.

Recommended.
on 19 March 2016
For quite a while now I've been using Billion products as their software usually allows you to tweak all sorts of setting that consumer grade modem/routers don't. This allows you to get the best out of an ADSL connection in situations where every few 100Kbps increase is a significant percentage of your line speed. Once I switched to a FTTC service I naturally went for Billion again and waited for their new 8900AX unit. However, it made a constant, horrible high-pitched noise and no matter what, even with the help of the manufacturer, it would not establish a link with the old ADSL router now doing service as a wireless access point as a speed greater than about 600KBps. In the end I lost patience with Billion and looked around for an alternative.

The reviews for this router are positive everywhere you look and while the headline speed was lower (1900Mbps as opposed to the Billion's 2400Mbps), the truth is you will never, ever reach those kind of speeds anyway. Provided I could get a reliable, stable signal thought the house with enough in my office for the wireless repeater to re-broadcast and bridge to a gigabit hub, I was happy.

Well this was the simplest and quickest setup process of any router I have ever encountered (and I've had far more than the average punter). One of the real bonuses is that the router firmware comes with knowledge of all the main UK ISPs so it knew that Sky uses MER authentication and what info it needed. So long as you have your user name and password (easily obtained), it was connected within a couple of minutes of switching on. The router itself checks for firmware updates, much like your computer, which helps you to keep up to date with security and speed improvements, and getting the wireless networks and everything else set up was a breeze.

I am what you might call a 'prosumer' or perhaps 'power user' and the admin interface has more than enough options for tweaking to satisfy me, yet I feel it wouldn't confuse the hell out of the average user (unlike the Billion). So far it has been absolutely rock solid and we have noticed improved network throughput and much better connections to the internet.

Yes, it's expensive, but it/s cheaper than Billion, Draytek and a host of other pro grade routers but offers more than enough features to satisfy demanding users like myself and excellent signal coverage, which is what most ordinary users really want. Added to that the incredibly easy setup process and I can't recommend it enough. Oh, and you can make the WPS button on the side turn off the LEDs on the front (it's an option in the admin software) so that your living room doesn't look like a s***e disco at night.
on 1 February 2014
This is a great product and works well (had it running for a couple of days now). I've got BT infinity and replaced my BT router (which was faulty) with this one. I was particularly looking for a modem router that had a good interface to set up port forwarding and VDSL capability, dual channels helps a lot too (2.4 and 5GHz). Setup was easy, once you realize you need a PPPoE/PPP username and password for BT (doh!). I now have access to my home Security cameras linked to my DVR via the internet after configuring port forwarding. In addition Asus provide you with a host name (DNS) so you don't have to worry about the WAN ip address changing if you reboot. So far so good!
on 21 November 2013
Just wanted to share what an amazing router this is in terms of setup, options and function.

Unpacking:
Came with power cable, ADSL filter, ethernet cable and CD & Manuals etc - no problems here.

Internet Connection:
So I updated the firmware when I first got it and chose internet connection autoconfigure (happens when you open chrome/ie/firefox) when connected to the router via ethernet. Did all the configuration itself and requested username and password which I entered and it worked, just like the "under 30 seconds" video on youtube.
(I am on a sky ADSL internet connection, the original router has its username and password hardcoded and you have to use Wireshark to retrieve them both)

all settings that it autodetected are the same as those on the original router (VCI,multiplex,etc etc) so glad they are not an issue. The internet connection is as fast it was before 16Mb/s (2MB/s). Not lost sync or internet use over the last week or so.

Wireless Performance:
My house is a victorian 4 floor (basement) with thick solid walls which are the worst for wireless transmission. The new Sky router (white box SR101) has poor wifi reception - it would transfer on the wifi network transfer at 3MB/s at best - with the Asus I now get 6-7MB/s.

Also, where I had no reception I now get 1-2 bars (out of 6) and primarily at long range the 2.4Ghz is better than 5Ghz (as expected). Virtually everywhere in my house in terms of internet speed via Wifi gets 16Mb/s (2MB/s) even if its just 1/2 bars out of 6 - great news!

My wireless printer picked it all up and worked, so no problems there!

Ok fine, I didnt measure the dB strength, but if its wireless performance is better than before and transfers at an acceptable rate and range then it should most people - not those seeking performance over value.

Ethernet Performance:
Gigabit speeds are achieved without issue, measured using TeraCopy when transferring files over the network speeds are between 50-70MB/s (which is 400Mb+ and gigabit is 1000Mb). Cant complain there, maybe 2 more ports so I dont need to use a switch ;)

Media Server/NAS functionality:
My NAS server requests its own IP address rather than auto assign from router and it just worked as before without issues. All mobiles devices (via DLNA protocol) pick up my NAS including wireless and ethernet methods.

Advanced Options:
There's a lot! QoS, Times to have wifi on (each band), keyword filters, url filters, VPN server support,

Responses to other reviews:
> Annex A including support for L/M but not B
> Not for fibre optic, its ADSL use only
> Did not use 3G USB or USb drive/printer sharing so cant comment
> Did not need to contact customer service - cant say
> After updating to latest firmware (at time of writing) did not have to do a h/w reset
> Did not have to alter settings for ADSL connection
> It does support MAC CLONE to get certain ISPs working
> Firmware updated from web interface (using Chrome on a Win7 laptop)
> No restarting needed yet for any internet or wireless issues
> Some devices take long time register the internet connection is available, whereas another device is readily using the internet
> Did not use its VPN server (only my company's VPN Cisco server to access work)
> Did not use DDNS
> Did not have to use CD at all
> UPnP and DLNA just work perfectly
> Does not get that hot, it sits next to a gigabit switch and NAS all "just" warm not HOT
> Static/fixed IP addresses work as expected
> Firmware update did not wipe out any of my config, all was preserved

Downsides:
> Bad labelling - "ASUS DSL N55U" I thought DSL is cable/fibre optic broadband, it should be labelled as "ASUS ADSL N55U" anyone else agree?
> Any wifi options require a quick restart of the wireless "chipset" <30seconds
> Any other settings require a router restart ~60seconds plus another 30secs or so for internet connection
> No upright stand, not a bother as it looks nicer flat

Overall:
This device works perfectly fine for me and I have at least 11 devices connected (4 wireless, 7 wired) which include: Smart TV, Bluray player, PCs, Laptops, mobile phones, kindle, NAS drive. The speed, range and all previous functionality are either preserved or improved significantly.

I can imagine a lot of the issues people originally found have led to the more recent firmwares to include the fixes, so thanks to all for that. But there are some recent complaints on the newer firmwares and I think there may be some build/batch or quality issues.

But my particular unit I am extremely pleased with it no real complaints at all!